• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PAS 2002PCA PA amplifier vs MC2 S800

Pjetrof

Question for the technical experienced people.
Are those amplifiers good amplifiers concernicng components and measurements?
Which one is the best?

maty

Major Contributor
MC2-Audio-S800-specs.png

PAS-2002PCA-specifications.png

PAS-PCA-amplifiers-specifications.png

maty

Major Contributor
Well, it has almost everything except the appearance and some legs (designed to be rack mounted). Easy to repair or modify / improve. BIG transformer and isolated from the rest.

It works OK with AVR like Denon X4700 and others preamps: 1.07 V :)
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denon-avr-x4700-avr-review-updated.14493/

When available again (about three weeks), purchase the necessary cabling from Thomann. If it does not convince it is returned.
It is assumed that in the German store it will be cheaper since the VAT reduction from 19% to 16% until the end of the year is already effective (advantages of having a large budget surplus) but... now better at Spanish store.
PAS-2002PCA-inside-recorte.jpg

OLD version

PAS-2002PCA-inside-OLD.png

Last edited:
OP
Pjetrof

Pjetrof

@maty
Can i put it in a cupboard?
don t need avr just for 2 channel listening
would this be audible better than class d behringer.
or van alstine amplifier

OP
Pjetrof

Pjetrof

Compared to the benchmark how would this pas amplifier do?

maty

Major Contributor
In a rack, with air circulate is always a good idea.

AVR was only an idea. Preamp or DAC with preamp. Better with balanced.

Better than cheap class D, yes. Cheap class D -> subwoofer, bad idea to full range at home.

Benchmark has better specifications except for the power but the PAS has good numbers (we lack independent graphics and measurements).

If you live in Europe I would try the PAS. If you do not like it, you return it within 30 days. To spend more money you will always be on time.

It will also depend on the kind of music you listen to. If it is the current commercial, so badly produced and with DR <10 there is little point in spending a fortune on the stereo, I say.

For multimedia, then the PAS or other cheaper ones will suffice. PAS for the front speakers.

Attachments

• rack-amplifiers.jpg
    rack-amplifiers.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 471

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Compared to the benchmark how would this pas amplifier do?
The AHB2 runs circles around both.

Still need to be measured, but THD/1Khz specs are either 0.02% (74dB SINAD) or 0.007% (83dB SINAD). Also, we don't know about so many things: THD Vs Frequency, IMD, 32tones FFT, etc.

Why would you need these amp for? If it is about power-only, then better look at IcePower 1200AS2 or Ncore NC502MP.

maty

Major Contributor
The AHB2 runs circles around both.

Still need to be measured, but THD/1Khz specs are either 0.02% (74dB SINAD) or 0.007% (83dB SINAD). Also, we don't know about so many things: THD Vs Frequency, IMD, 32tones FFT, etc.

Why would you need these amp for? If it is about power-only, then better look at IcePower 1200AS2 or Ncore NC502MP.

Professional amplifier. THD, SNR... at max power, 4 Ohms. Not at only 1 or 5 watts -> much better numbers sure.

Ignore SINAD, it is a measurement too simplistic, at least to me.

Reactions: Zvu

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Professional amplifier. THD 0.02% at max power, 4 Ohms. Not at only 1 or 5 watts -> much better numbers sure.
How would you know that, without any THD+N Vs Frequency graph?
Ignore SINAD, it is a measurement too simplistic, at least to me.
Hard to ignore when this is one of the few specs available here. Still:
Also, we don't know about so many things: THD Vs Frequency, IMD, 32tones FFT, etc.

maty

Major Contributor
Because in professional audio, power stages, it is usually specified at maximum power.

My proposal seems logical if we live in Europe.

The vast majority do not listen to high-quality, high-dynamic-range recordings without exaggerated digital processing in the studio. With acoustic or electric and non-synthetic instruments. Voices without Autotune. It is the sad reality for a few decades. With those painful recordings it is even counterproductive to have a very good audio system that reveals their imperfections, because it can make them unbearable.

Last edited:
OP
Pjetrof

Pjetrof

Choice of music singer songwriter, and music from the unfortunate deceased Ennio Morricone.
Speakers Harbeth 30.2.

maty

Major Contributor
OP
Pjetrof

Pjetrof

Yesterday: Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses (1978), Vinyl, Chrysalis, UK with DR13
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/music/6958-playing-listening-post6265107.html

Days ago: Eugene Ormandy, The Philadelphia Orchestra - Saint-Saëns - Symphony No. 3 In C Minor, Op. 78 “Organ” (1980), Vinyl, Telarc, US with DR16
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/music/6958-playing-listening-post6261935.html

Did not know Jethro Tull beautiful. Thx. I am still exploring lots of different music through streaming applications.
Is this music good enough to buy Benchmark or would PAS Be more than enough?

maty

Major Contributor
OP
Pjetrof

Pjetrof

@maty thx for the reading i ve seen on the other thread the new apollon mini do you think it is better than the pas?

maty

Major Contributor
Those based on the PURIFI modules will surely have excellent measurements. Sound better? I do not know.

I have wanted a new audio system for my second system for a long time, which I started by spending the minimum to do my tests. The problem is that the current sound is great and I have doubts, many doubts. A few days ago I made some changes in the optimization of Win 10 and I have achieved an even better sound than before, which has puzzled me because I believed that it was no longer possible to improve it more via software.

I have had a rush of adrenaline, dopamine ... that had not happened to me before when listening to some of the versions I have of an old Queen album:

Queen - A Day At The Races (1976), Vinyl, EMI Millennium Edition 1999, 180g, UK

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/music/6958-playing-listening-post6271661.html

Why risk screwing up with a new hard?

Top Bottom