• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PartsExpress Sound bar HDMI low output

soundtrane

Dealer
Not at all a HDMI experienced person that I am, i found this Parts Express sound bar that i built (just for fun) giving me abysmally low volumes on HDMI when connected to the HDMI eARC output from my VU Tv (which is almost brand new), despite all variations possible in the TV Audio Menu (not much here - Output PCM/DDigital/DD Plus/Auto, eARC Auto/off)...

When i tried a bluetooth paring with spotify from the phone, i was able to generate enough volume and even slightly distort the output by the replay gain added, just to check.
I dont want an AVR, i dont want surround sound, seriously, just a center, and this parts express thingy has decent sound, maybe not as GREAT as a pair of Genelecs/what-have-you...

So is there really a HDMI audio amp, or what should i be looking for? HDMI newbie that I am... which is why i put this post in this part of the forum...

cheers
-vin

Last edited:

AudiOhm

OP
S

soundtrane

Dealer
Optical - not yet. Will try it.

My wish was to use a single remote (the TV remote) to control volume. I guess this is possible only with ARC/eARC...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think when connected though HDMI, you have to use the TV remote to set the volume. Did you try that?

OP
S

soundtrane

Dealer
yes, when connected to HDMI eARC, the TV remote works on the soundbar. All that stuff is ok. Just that the output level is TOO low. Imagine not being able to hear the dialogue well enough on "West Side Story" - let alone the BGM and singing...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it only the dialog? Are other sounds loud enough? Did you play with the TV’s HDMI audio settings?

OP
S

soundtrane

Dealer
so is there a thing such as HDMI audio amplifier?

JktHifi

I dont want an AVR, i dont want surround sound, seriously, just a center, and this parts express thingy has decent sound, maybe not as GREAT as a pair of Genelecs/what-have-you...
From my previous experience using AVR for TV, most of the time my ears are only targeting the center speaker so I set it much louder than front and surround speakers. Then a few weeks later, I disconnect all the front and surround speakers because adding so much noise.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does the TV remote work separately from the Soundbar remote? So if you set the TV to max, can you still crank up the Soundbar volume with its remote?

Smitty2k1

You mentioned you built it... was it this kit? https://www.parts-express.com/Audio...nel-sound-bar-speaker-kit-300-7146?quantity=1

Could you potentially have put something together incorrectly leading to the very low volume output? (gain not correct?). Possibly contact Parts Express maybe they have some insight on troubleshooting.

You say it's low output, and I'm assume that's with the volume cranked all the way up? Sounds like something is defective or built incorrectly to me.

Neat looking soundbar though :)

OP
S

soundtrane

Dealer
You mentioned you built it... was it this kit? https://www.parts-express.com/Audio...nel-sound-bar-speaker-kit-300-7146?quantity=1

Could you potentially have put something together incorrectly leading to the very low volume output? (gain not correct?). Possibly contact Parts Express maybe they have some insight on troubleshooting.

You say it's low output, and I'm assume that's with the volume cranked all the way up? Sounds like something is defective or built incorrectly to me.

Neat looking soundbar though :)
Yes it is that one you sent the link to.
I already raised a complaint and they sent me a replacement of the electronics, which i installed - still low volume on HDMI.

OP
S

soundtrane

Dealer
This one?
Parts Express Sound Bar

Have you tried the optical input?

Ohms
i realised i dont have an optical cable (thought i had one), so will order one and try. Of course, this means two remotes, TV and soundbar, which i was trying to avoid... But still, after all the work i did on the build and finish, i would be happy if it works out with optical.

So it seems there does not exist an HDMI Audio amp...

AudiOhm

i realised i dont have an optical cable (thought i had one), so will order one and try. Of course, this means two remotes, TV and soundbar, which i was trying to avoid... But still, after all the work i did on the build and finish, i would be happy if it works out with optical.

The idea of the optical cable is to determine if it is a TV or a speaker issue.

Ohms

OP
S

soundtrane

Dealer
The idea of the optical cable is to determine if it is a TV or a speaker issue.

Ohms
got it, i too was wondering about a way to get "natural/usual" audio out from that tv, turns out there ain't anything else but optical... ordered a cable, coming in tomorrow. thanks for your suggestion. :)

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
HDMI is digital, so there is no such thing as HDMI amp, an HDMI Amp would be a DAC's output connected to an amp.

Looks like your kit uses this amp from Dayton Audio. It is specced for 2x30W RMS which should be enough on paper for the soundbar. If I were you I'd download the manual and see if you can figure out what's going wrong. Would not be surprised if it is a remote related issue.

OP
S

soundtrane

Dealer
Strange things happening. the unit (soundbar) does not go off with the remote even if i am on Optical input, it keeps switching to the optical OR HDMI input, and there is still no output level worth mentioning from both of these.

Parts Express despite sending me fresh electronics for this kit - it still does not work, same issues as i had with the original kit. the audio levels are abysmal. Imagine such low volume on the dialogues of a film like West Side story - that the music/singing is...LOW. That too in a not-so-large room, listening distance ~15 feet.

They have conveniently ignored my email(s). I will call them tomorrow night (from Bombay, India)...

End of story may be me losing ~400USD on this by giving up on this soundbar and moving on. shit happens and sometimes sticks on, until one breaks free. what can i say.
I MAY be able to find someone to use it with bluetooth or something, and give it away...

OP
S

soundtrane

Dealer
Reporting back - many issues with this unit. eventually Parts Express refunded me. I did lose some money on customs duty (~80 USD).

End of story.

Top Bottom