• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parts Express Copperhead Desktop Full-Range Speaker build

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please note I have updated the originally posted frequency response graph. I was pasting measurements from different computers and confused some images.

Really does not change the conclusion but is more accurate than the original one. :)

tomtoo

Major Contributor
From my point of view, i would get ride of the passive filters. Eq`em and show the eq parameters. Couse thats imo the best way to handle them.
It not realy goes into my brain talking with a fullrange about FR and taming them passive. Its imo just the wrong way when you can get on every cheap computer a peq. Its like showing the people the wrong way and discuss how good the wrong way can be.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Let me add, it even supports the businnes model of GR research for there 3 inch.

The right way to handle such a 3 inch is put them in a good BR case. And eq'em.imo.

Oh, yeah i missed: "And dont expect any giant killing wonders" ;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
From my point of view, i would get ride of the passive filters. Eq`em and show the eq parameters. Couse thats imo the best way to handle them.
It not realy goes into my brain talking with a fullrange about FR and taming them passive. Its imo just the wrong way when you can get on every cheap computer a peq. Its like showing the people the wrong way and discuss how good the wrong way can be.
I don't want to pull this "making of" ;) thread off-topic, but I've gotta agree with the essence of this post. To me, it just makes more sense "electrically" to do the contouring in the small-signal/low-power (i.e., line-level) domain than on the "high power" (it's all relative!) side of the circuit.

The sensitivity (and, presumably, the concomitant electrical efficiency) of this extended-range driver is poor enough sans network. Avec network, it's got to be even worse. :(

Yeah, I know that modern amplifiers can be electrically pretty efficient, but I still hate to see power wasted.

And I hope it's obvious, @Rick Sykora that my comments aren't directed towards you! I am thrilled to see you building these, and I am ever curious about the state of the "fullranger" art! :)

Actually, as long as I am on my soapbox -- it bugs me that virtually all of PE's loudspeaker kits have what I'd consider lamentably low sensitivity.
How... insensitive of them! :cool:

OK, I feel better now! Thanks for "listening" ;)

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I don't want to pull this "making of" ;) thread off-topic, but I've gotta agree with the essence of this post. To me, it just makes more sense "electrically" to do the contouring in the small-signal/low-power (i.e., line-level) domain than on the "high power" (it's all relative!) side of the circuit.

The sensitivity (and, presumably, the concomitant electrical efficiency) of this extended-range driver is poor enough sans network. Avec network, it's got to be even worse. :(

Yeah, I know that modern amplifiers can be electrically pretty efficient, but I still hate to see power wasted.

And I hope it's obvious, @Rick Sykora that my comments aren't directed towards you! I am thrilled to see you building these, and I am ever curious about the state of the "fullranger" art! :)

Actually, as long as I am on my soapbox -- it bugs me that virtually all of PE's loudspeaker kits have what I'd consider lamentably low sensitivity.
How... insensitive of them! :cool:

OK, I feel better now! Thanks for "listening" ;)

You are funny. Using tubes and talking about efficience. -

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
1) This is all about entertainment. It is the internet's raison d'être :)

2) “A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. — 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' — Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood.” -- Emerson

;)

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Not sure if i get you right

2) “A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. — 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' — Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood.” -- Emerson

;)

Nice! When i think about it, i not even know why i talk....couse even this 3inch dwarf would perform like hell, i could not believe Lemmy is in them. That would need at least a 18inch. ;)

Not even he can live in them.

What ever FR they have. ;)

Maybe this?
/

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Oh, and just to be clear (and to stop derailing this thread, I PROMISE!): I remain perversely fascinated by using a single driver to reproduce "fullrange" sound.
Something elegant and simple about the concept that still appeals to me.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Oh, and just to be clear (and to stop derailing this thread, I PROMISE!): I remain perversely fascinated by using a single driver to reproduce "fullrange" sound.
Something elegant and simple about the concept that still appeals to me.

You know a good sounding 18inch fullrange?? ;)

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good thing am done with the build!

Off to Amir tomorrow. :)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

;)
For many decades I would just write "Emerson" in the margin of some document I was reviewing and all the editors and tech writers I have worked with know it means A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. :)

Last edited:

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here is pic of only decent back location on back for binding posts. Anything much lower interferes with the port tube. Since the instructions do not include any info on these binding posts, maybe they are not the intended ones?…
View attachment 214772

adding the port tube, damping and some wiring…

View attachment 214774
Finally mounting the driver…
View attachment 214775

Before I sand it up and mount the filter, will do a design validation…
I think I would have stacked the terminals vertically to the side of the port instead of laying laterally. Seems like it'd fit better that way.

Prana Ferox

I know people do it and I know PE sells cheap simple DSP kits, but I cannot see the market wide for a 100$/pair speaker kit that makes you program a DSP or even particularly understand one.

Now if PE made some sort of bundle with the kit, the DSP/chipamp, an inexpensive mic...

thegeton

Forum Donor
One has to wonder why they're assembling indoor speakers outdoors in the backyard too... ;)

JSmith

Because the Mom told those boys to vacate the kitchen table and take that goofy shit outside...

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I would have stacked the terminals vertically to the side of the port instead of laying laterally. Seems like it'd fit better that way.

was going to do diagonally but the thing is so light, did not want to cause to lean or tip. :eek:

EDIT: The PE binding posts are able to accommodate banana plugs in the screw holes btw. So figured if Amir could not use directly, can unscrew them and run wiring parallel to the back.

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I know people do it and I know PE sells cheap simple DSP kits, but I cannot see the market wide for a 100$/pair speaker kit that makes you program a DSP or even particularly understand one.

Now if PE made some sort of bundle with the kit, the DSP/chipamp, an inexpensive mic...

Like i said, use the computer.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Was more challenging than I thought to fit the filter board as built. In hindsight, would have split apart the inductors after all. As mentioned earlier, may be best to just use an active filter anyway.

After it got buttoned up, did another quick impedance check and was good to go. Is now on its way to Amir!

Top Bottom