• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parts Express Copperhead Desktop Full-Range Speaker build

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@JSmith...
Okay, then that is different. It does look like a Peerless-India driver, which is not affiliated with Peerless/Tymphany. They are or at least WERE independent companies.

Last I knew, Peerless-India was no longer in business. There are references to the company, but their webpage no longer exists. This, AFAICT, was the reason for the changes in th QC of the Dayton RS52AN, and also the reason for drivers being updated or improved over a previous model in the last 3-5 years. This is also likely why the LGK is getting a hinted facelift.

AudioSQ

Nice! I've thought about ordering those as desk speakers for work since the volume would always be low and bass travels too easily there. And they are actually on sale now so they are only $10 more than last year.
I think they work great for low volume background music.. and they definitely don't have any bass that can travel. I think they were +/- 5 db above 100hz on my desk, but with a bit of EQ I was rather happy for the price and size. Look sharp too.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
here what I like right off the bat in these Dayton's.

1. $120 typically and today $100 on sale and there are no over priced upgrades
2. They offer a Copperhead kit with a small subwoofer and a small amp built in for $300. The amp is plenty of power for this system as has a 6db octave HP built in which is not optimal but far better than no HP

Rick, you prolly saw this but some folks have reversed the port panel by mistake and then driver clearance is impeded. So just a heads up it all fits only one-way.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s here!

5894497C-4D15-46B4-B9DC-8FE0C2A3779A.jpeg

Arrived just before dinner and am expecting a guest soon. Arrived in better shape than the C-Notes did. Note no damping material and the inductors are still in bubble wrap (in front of flat pack). Should have some time in a few hours for more unveiling and maybe start building the cabinet! :)

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, let’s start with the major filter parts. All the components are inline with the driver. The cap is a non-polar electrolytic and the main inductor is .6 mH and only 20 gauge. With the thin wire, as you would expect, its resistance is a pretty high at more than .5 ohm. While round, not a great wind as shown here…

83282271-760B-4CD2-A65D-8545E8CA0B57.jpeg

The driver is a small, die-cast one with an inverted surround. Claimed Xmax is 2.5mm…

AC4D6C50-E1F6-45D1-B4AE-61A1DB49CF3D.jpeg

The magnet is actually larger diameter than the cone…
A6EE98C5-918E-4AC3-B090-5285F74E5AD1.jpeg

The cabinet is high-quality, half inch thick MDF and is nicely machined…
F9C83D91-BE76-46D7-B05B-833B813314ED.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given the inexpensive price, no printed assembly instructions are included, but are posted on the speaker webpage: https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/manuals/300-7180--copperhead-speaker-kit-manual.pdf

The instructions are pretty complete, so feel less need to do my usual pics for the gluing of each cabinet section and will assemble entirely and simply note any potential issues. The instructions specify a requirement for a handful of Acousta-Stuf damping, so will plan to add. :)

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, so what does it have for a network (i.e., why does it have a network)?
BSC, Zobel, notch?
I guess I should know, and I am sure I could look it up -- but I am preternaturally lazy. :facepalm:

;)
And just a touch premature ;), see link in post #28.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
And just a touch premature ;), see link in post #28.
Yeah -- and -- I looked it up after I posted (probably during post 28).
Let's just say these were all relativistic effects (i.e., a little space-time warpage) :cool:

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Assembly went smoothly and glue is still setting on the one side…

7B96CCE1-DE0E-459B-8D8B-E5FBE8EA8FC1.jpeg

While the glue sets, will build the filter. Will likely take my short path approach and mount it to the inside back. The supplied binding posts are nice quality for a budget kit and provide a sturdy platform for mounting a small filter board as used in this design.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Despite the binding posts providing a nice mounting platform, the port tube limits the back panel width considerably. Could have spaced the inductors further apart to allow shorter connection but adding wiring would lengthen the wiring in the middle. So decided to mount on the inner right and here is a pic…

A817DC4B-E321-482B-9F0B-CF9C55415F80.jpeg

Note the smaller (value) inductor is lower gauge and is better wound. Likely availability drove the design choice in this case but lower a gauge for the other one may have have added more cost than was acceptable. Personally, would have used lesser binding posts and spent more on filter components…

Or have an option to forgo the passive filter for use with an active one! :)

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Well... the DCR of the two inductors might have been deliberately chosen/specified, too... ?!? ;)

Filter construction looks good to me. Is that a piece of pegboard used as substrate? That's my go-to for such things! :)

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is pic of only decent back location on back for binding posts. Anything much lower interferes with the port tube. Since the instructions do not include any info on these binding posts, maybe they are not the intended ones?…
F3692B4F-FF74-40D9-BFD4-9868C60ABB86.jpeg

adding the port tube, damping and some wiring…

B292F307-800A-4572-80E0-0EF0FA6B5177.jpeg

Finally mounting the driver…
DD68A43F-8481-427C-885F-2A78122B02DE.jpeg

Before I sand it up and mount the filter, will do a design validation…

Prana Ferox

A little late to suggest it but with speakers similar to this (i.e. with the built in legs) I've often seen the terminals on the bottom. (And usually cheap spring clips.)

My first instinct with this kit was to question why it even exists when Overnight Sensations are available, until I looked at how OS's have nearly doubled in price.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are my validation measurements. First frequency response...

1656320995591.png

Looks pretty good based on the 2 baselines for comparison - PE and EAC. It looks a lot more like the EAC measurement but with enough zoom out, it looks very comparable to the PE too. EDIT: graph updated from original post

Now for impedance and phase...

1656270748556.png

Unfortunately, PE did not supply and EAC's looks problematic. So, I modeled in Bassbox Pro and looks like a good match. Also aligns with the upper portion of EAC's. If someone knows of another measure, please let me know. I did peruse around for a while but had outside tasks today.

Finally, on another positive note. My quick listening test went well. It is a quite bright but could be eq'd. I was able to listen to my PG tunes in my test room (aka our family room) without having the driver bottom out. :)

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
That brightness is endemic with (or is that endemic to?) so-called "fullrange" drivers in my experience (which is voluminous, if wholly empirical/anecdotal!).
Emprirically, with several drivers I've spent time with, a phase plug helps -- but these already have phase plugs, so not much room for improvement there.

You have both of PE's network "options" installed, if I understand correctly, yes?

PS I've probably got 3 dozen or more different flavors of 'fullrange' drivers here, ranging from a pair of "Panasonic" branded 3" drivers from the late John Wyckoff (of Hammer Dynamics, who sold a speaker kit built around the Eminence 12-LTA twincone driver back around the turn of the century) to, well, you know... Electrovoice LS15 and SP12 twincones. No real knowledge -- but lots of experience! ;)

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That brightness is endemic with (or is that endemic to?) so-called "fullrange" drivers in my experience (which is voluminous, if wholly empirical/anecdotal!).
Emprirically, with several drivers I've spent time with, a phase plug helps -- but these already have phase plugs, so not much room for improvement there.

You have both of PE's network "options" installed, if I understand correctly, yes?

PS I've probably got 3 dozen or more different flavors of 'fullrange' drivers here, ranging from a pair of "Panasonic" branded 3" drivers from the late John Wyckoff (of Hammer Dynamics, who sold a speaker kit built around the Eminence 12-LTA twincone driver back around the turn of the century) to, well, you know... Electrovoice LS15 and SP12 twincones. No real knowledge -- but lots of experience! ;)
Yes, the optional inductor (red one) is included and Amir specified that I should use it.

Prana Ferox

Is that brightness on axis? Is it tamable just by angling the drivers away from the listener? That might actually be better in a design intended to sit on a desktop below ear level.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that brightness on axis? Is it tamable just by angling the drivers away from the listener? That might actually be better in a design intended to sit on a desktop below ear level.

All I got as a baseline from PE is on-axis.

From EAC’s measures, off-axis is pretty bright too, but as mentioned could be tamed with eq.

Top Bottom