• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Paris Audio Video Show 2022

Tovarich007

As described: Atohm! This is an in-house power amp, designed for GT speakers (DSP profiles for each, with excursion limiter, HPF, subwoofer passthrough and so on). Streamer/DAC was an Atoll ST300.
Thanks. Indeed they look very interesting electronics from this french mufacturer.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Call me a cynic but having now become a firm subscriber to the ASR 'let's get the basic concepts right' foundation I look at some of those shiny trinkets of hifi componentry and don't get a nice warm feeling as I would have 10 years or so ago. I immediately looked at speaker cable thicknesses and could see some real 'hose thickness' stuff.

Of course some of the stuff exhibited probably did sound good. Very good even. And some would argue it's not just about the sound but cool aesthetics.

Nice photo's though.
Nice design is still nice design. However, it should come with an equally nice performance. Those Blades, for example...

Multicore

Major Contributor
Diligent work there, @VintageFlanker. Well photographed. Rather you than me but thanks for your efforts.

How did exhibitors decorate their booths, apart from showing off the products?

Monitor Audio uses a trompe-l'œil door to a patio, if I see it right. Kef uses painted breeze block while Klipsch has unpainted red brick. McIntosh has unpainted red brick too, but with a leather club chair from which to view a pyramid of 10 giant VU meters. McIntosh has another decoration that looks like the exterior of a villa with driveway and a Ford Edsel.

Cabasse uses what looks like stock photos of a dude wearing generic stubble and a Godin multitac nylon and a gal with dramatic hair holding (awkwardly, since I can't see a strap) what looks like a vintage Les Paul bass. Elipson's stock photo is even more embarrassing since it's used everywhere, for everything, all the time. Dynaudio's stock (I assume) photo has an elegant woman in a room that looks like it was rented yesterday.

If there's a theme to these it's the escape from routine life to either the pad or hotel where you meet your fancy lady or your elegant country home where family might have a place. Those are both aspirational while I think the concert-like photos are nostalgic.

Props to all the exhibitors who refrained from such subliminal messages from their marketing people.

I'll make a technical exception for Monitor Audio since I rather like the effect and I might see if we can do something like that in a future booth decoration.

Last edited:

Multicore

Major Contributor
You took all those fabulous photos on a Google Pixel 7? Wow.
+1.

Phone cameras have improved so much. If a) the subject approx fits the native field of the camera, and b) there's enough light that sensor gain is modest then you can usually get terrific results. The small sensors on phones have the extra advantage of lots of depth of field which is useful for many of the scenes in this set. For this assignment, a camera with a 36x24 sensor would be a PITA relative to the phone.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
They are almost certainly not "worth" more than your house Adam
Yes, you are correct I used the wrong word. Really meant that they are asking for prices that are. Worth was very much a bad word choice. I deserve being called out for that! :facepalm:

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, you are correct I used the wrong word. Really meant that they are asking for prices that are. Worth was very much a bad word choice. I deserve being called out for that! :facepalm:
Don't beat yourself up! I knew what you meant! :)

Gremlins

To continue with the speakers of exception with an unsightly base, there is the Revel ultima with this flap that I find atrocious especially as it can not close when the cables are in place. So I prefer the blade .
s-l500.jpg
I think the cabes will connect from the bottom, that way you can close the tap. Look nellow bindingposts, there's a path for cables

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I think the cabes will connect from the bottom, that way you can close the tap. Look nellow bindingposts, there's a path for cables
True but it greatly limits your choice of cable/connectors that will allow the door to close over them.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
was going to ask how stuffed sounded, but this group doesn't care about sonics
And I'm still gonna answer that.
However, it should come with an equally nice performance. Those Blades, for example...
Clearly not my favourites.;)
there is a Chord power amp with unknown use.
Maybe for display only?
This system wasn't running while I was in this room. My guess is that they probably demoed both ATC power amps and the Chord stack to show the "differences"...

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And I'm still gonna answer that.

Clearly not my favourites.;)

This system wasn't running while I was in this room. My guess is that they probably demoed both ATC power amps and the Chord stack to show the "differences"...
First of all, thank you for getting us a virtual tour of the Paris Audio Video show.
Can't wait to hear your subjective opinion and your favorite(s). :)
Also, maybe you can expand and let us know what went "wrong" with KEF Blade 2 presentation.

Badunn

Nice design is still nice design. However, it should come with an equally nice performance. Those Blades, for example...
Yep can’t disagree. And the article by @VintageFlanker is awash with some great photos of fabulous looking eye candy. I’m all for good design and I’ll make the assumption, in the interests of fairness and not being too negative, that a majority displayed would stand up to measured scrutiny.

gitaarwerk

dont like the prics, nor probably how they measure, but they all do sure look impressive :D
btw..i think those blades or kef refs are measuring pretty decent.

I got the old refs one after they produced the sound I like... (I heard avalon acoustics once at a hifi show...thought there was a real band playing.... i stil hear that now. Thats my joy, the rest, dont care :) except for the haunting idea that my gf puts a plant or funny things on top of my piano gloss speakers :D )

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I noticed that as well, along with the trend to have the tweeter and midrange drivers behind the woofers (time alignment?).
Acoustic centres of the voicecoils. All the rage in the 1970s. Glad to see it’s come full circle- again.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Hifi shows are funny things, imagine if they charged you to browse at the Apple Store?

They would probably get away with charging, judging by the number of people I see in the giant glass Apple box at our local shopping centre.

5A54A44B-6526-4A07-82E4-80C6E1825091.jpeg

Top Bottom