• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Paris Audio Video Show 2022

57gold

Nice photos...was going to ask how stuffed sounded, but this group doesn't care about sonics, just a few measurements.

So when I saw this photo with $40K of dCS DAC and Clock, that Stereophile said was a must have combo, wonder how it would measure against the latest $399 Chinese DAC that exceeds the last half dozen reviewed?

index.php

Tom C

Major Contributor
Nice photos...was going to ask how stuffed sounded, but this group doesn't care about sonics, just a few measurements.

So when I saw this photo with $40K of dCS DAC and Clock, that Stereophile said was a must have combo, wonder how it would measure against the latest $399 Chinese DAC that exceeds the last half dozen reviewed?

index.php
I’ll take the speakers and a Chinese DAC, please.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes like the nutritional content on cornflakes.
Keith

Sokel

Master Contributor
First time I saw the feet of the Blade i thought it was a failed DIY add-on made by the owner. Cannot help looking at them ever since. Did they hire the designer of the cheapest ikea office furniture lines? How much do these speakers cost? those holes.... aaarrrrgggggg

View attachment 245107
I love the looks of blades right down to this base.It would be a thousand times better with something like the Reference 3 META has,not to go to the Italian solutions that's usually elegant.
At this price point everything matters.

DSJR

Major Contributor

index.php

Oh 'we' care about best sound quality all right. It's just that we know enough usually not to spend tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds/dollars to get it!!!

Great pics and I'd have drooled myself into a puddle some decades back - but almost all of it is eye candy - 'Eye-Fi' for the wealthy (must still be a lot about in mainland Europe unlike here in austerity-led UK).

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I love the looks of blades right down to this base.It would be a thousand times better with something like the Reference 3 META has,not to go to the Italian solutions that's usually elegant.
At this price point everything matters.
To continue with the speakers of exception with an unsightly base, there is the Revel ultima with this flap that I find atrocious especially as it can not close when the cables are in place. So I prefer the blade .
s-l500.jpg

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes like the nutritional content on cornflakes.
Keith
Toole has stated there is more information on a car tyre than on the average ( most and all the kitchen table ) manufacturers sites.
Keith

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just asking here. Some of the tower speaker designs look like they tried to shape their very large boxes orientation to keep the mid/tweeter drivers towards the head of a person in the seated position. Like Focal and Wilson. But what exactly is this design trying to do here? Maybe it’s an optical illusion or a play of lightning, but are these speakers aiming the Mid/tweeter towards the ceiling? Do you need to sit on a ladder to get your head in the beaming zone? :(
:D

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Toole has stated there is more information on a car tyre than on the average ( most and all the kitchen table ) manufacturers sites.
Keith
... just leaked from sources deep in the heart of a Detroit lab...

1669116404826.png

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
To continue with the speakers of exception with an unsightly base, there is the Revel ultima with this flap that I find atrocious especially as it can not close when the cables are in place. So I prefer the blade .
s-l500.jpg
tbh, it reminds of an old wood stove

and i'm kinda happy of not being there or else i'd probably be thrown out for indecent touching/rubbing against the big Accuphase from the first page :rolleyes:

Tovarich007

That's an odd combination...

index.php

Thanks for the pictures and info!

I didn't visit the Paris Audio Video Show 2 weeks ago, for the first time in many years (approximately 40 y) . I feel a bit fed up with all the "audiophilia nervosia" and mega bucks systems which are no better, and sometimes worse, than much cheaper ones.

Considering the ATC/ Chord exhibition, this is an obvious example of an overpriced system, which could have been better and (a little) less expensive if the active version of this excellent speaker has been chosen, paired with all good ATC electronics instead of the ugly -to my taste-and massively overpriced Chord electronics, for probably better results.

I profoundly dislike the direction taken by Chord towards hype and blingbling design and prices, a pity when one remembers the Chord early years, focusing on serious and innovative studio grade power amps.

Last edited:

Tovarich007

Many thanks to Vintageflanker for his beautifully illustrated report, anyway, and a question for him : which brands are the eletronics paired with the Atohm speakers (a good french brand, by the way) ?

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
which brands are the eletronics paired with the Atohm speakers
As described: Atohm! This is an in-house power amp, designed for GT speakers (DSP profiles for each, with excursion limiter, HPF, subwoofer passthrough and so on). Streamer/DAC was an Atoll ST300.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
I didn't visit the Paris Audio Video Show 2 weeks ago, for the first time in many years (approximately 40 y) . I feel a bit fed up with all the "audiophilia nervosia" and mega bucks systems which are no better, and sometimes worse, than much cheaper ones.

Considering the ATC/ Chord exhibition, this is an obvious example of an overpriced system, which could have been better and (a little) less expensive if the active version of this excellent speaker has been chosen, paired with all good ATC electronics instead of the ugly -to my taste-and massively overpriced Chord electronics, for probably better results.

I profoundly dislike the direction taken by Chord towards hype and blingbling design and prices, a pity when one remembers the Chord early years, focusing on serious and innovative studio grade power amps.
The thing that stroked me as strange is that on top of the ATC power amps who control the active system (is there,on the boards on the sides) there is a Chord power amp with unknown use.
Maybe for display only?

Top Bottom