• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parasound Zphono Phono Preamplifier Review

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
Then again, does 20pf over the "recommended" capacitance range even create an audible problem? I'd like to get the Zphono 1) for price 2) gain vs competition for 3.5mV cart like the VM95ML.

Cambridge Duo = 300mV output @ 3.35 mV in
MF V90LPS = 300mV out @ 3.0mV in
Zphono: 785mV out @ 3.5mV in (according to @DVDdoug above)

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Then again, does 20pf over the "recommended" capacitance range even create an audible problem? I'd like to get the Zphono 1) for price 2) gain vs competition for 3.5mV cart like the VM95ML.

Cambridge Duo = 300mV output @ 3.35 mV in
MF V90LPS = 300mV out @ 3.0mV in
Zphono: 785mV out @ 3.5mV in (according to @DVDdoug above)
Probably won't be a big deal. Alternatively you could consider one of these - https://www.darlingtonlabs.com/shop/p/product-name-3-4hwle

$179 should be in your budget and you could specify custom loading at order time - capacitance and resistive loads. As long as your line stage after the phono preamp has some gain you will be fine with the 40 db provided by the Darlington labs product.

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
Probably won't be a big deal. Alternatively you could consider one of these - https://www.darlingtonlabs.com/shop/p/product-name-3-4hwle

$179 should be in your budget and you could specify custom loading at order time - capacitance and resistive loads. As long as your line stage after the phono preamp has some gain you will be fine with the 40 db provided by the Darlington labs product.

Thanks Bob! This was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Love smaller, direct order US companies like Darlington Labs. I have Dan Clark AEON RT's, RSL speakers, and this would fit the bill. I have a inclination to go with the MM-5 or MM-6, just need to read up about them a bit more.

Do you have any direct experience with them?

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Thanks Bob! This was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Love smaller, direct order US companies like Darlington Labs. I have Dan Clark AEON RT's, RSL speakers, and this would fit the bill. I have a inclination to go with the MM-5 or MM-6, just need to read up about them a bit more.

Do you have any direct experience with them?
No personal experience. The product looks solid and it appears Amir may be testing one. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...udio-and-darlington-labs-phono-preamps.22233/

I have a stand alone phono stage - not currently in use since I am satisfied with the built in phono in my integrated amp - Phonomena 2 plus. I can say the Phonomena does a good job and is very adjustable. If I don't need adjustments the Luxman integrated wins, but if adjustments to loading and gain are needed then the phonomena wins. If I needed a phono stage I would order a MM-5 or 6 to try.

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
No personal experience. The product looks solid and it appears Amir may be testing one. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...udio-and-darlington-labs-phono-preamps.22233/

I have a stand alone phono stage - not currently in use since I am satisfied with the built in phono in my integrated amp - Phonomena 2 plus. I can say the Phonomena does a good job and is very adjustable. If I don't need adjustments the Luxman integrated wins, but if adjustments to loading and gain are needed then the phonomena wins. If I needed a phono stage I would order a MM-5 or 6 to try.

Pulled the trigger on the MM-6 based on your req and subjective reviews, and the fact I ordered my ATVM95ML today as well. Hopefully it can serve me well as I don't see myself going to MC cart with the SL-23.

If the Zphono had just slightly lower capacitance, I would have felt comfortable going with it.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Pulled the trigger on the MM-6 based on your req and subjective reviews, and the fact I ordered my ATVM95ML today as well. Hopefully it can serve me well as I don't see myself going to MC cart with the SL-23.

If the Zphono had just slightly lower capacitance, I would have felt comfortable going with it.
Good luck with your purchase. Please provide feedback once you get things set up.

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It has been years. I moved and boxed up the LP's and tubes.

I will take a listen and see if this Zphono is bad for the LP sound. I have had this Zphono thing new in the box for years as well.

Perhaps the tubes are required to make the LP's sound the way they should.

Thanks DT

milosz

Forum Donor
Perhaps the tubes are required to make the LP's sound the way they should.

There's a standard that defines how LPs should sound? Who sets this standard? Can you provide a link? -Thanks.

Cwopete5

Based on this review, I traded in some old audio gear I wasn't using for a brand new Parasound Zphono. 46 db is indeed a whole lot of gain, so much so that I dare not turn the volume knob to 9 o'clock or beyond hence my ears will be ringing for days. My phono cartridge is a Sumiko Rainier with 5.0 mv output. Rather than change cartridges to a lower output model, I bought a pair of Harrison Labs 6 db RCA line level attenuators from Parts Express. I'm hoping this will tame the Zphono gain best to more palatable listening levels.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on this review, I traded in some old audio gear I wasn't using for a brand new Parasound Zphono. 46 db is indeed a whole lot of gain, so much so that I dare not turn the volume knob to 9 o'clock or beyond hence my ears will be ringing for days. My phono cartridge is a Sumiko Rainier with 5.0 mv output. Rather than change cartridges to a lower output model, I bought a pair of Harrison Labs 6 db RCA line level attenuators from Parts Express. I'm hoping this will tame the Zphono gain best to more palatable listening levels.
Watch out - attenuators can also potentially add noise and/or change frequency response. Caveat Emptor.

Cwopete5

Watch out - attenuators can also potentially add noise and/or change frequency response. Caveat Emptor.
Like you suspected, the attenuators did not work. The sound went flat and hollow. Eventually I found an equipment combination that works; Sumiko Pearl phono cartridge connected via Snake Oil cables to the Zphono, then to a Vincent Audio SV-500 integrated with NOS RFT 12AX7 in place of stock preamp tube. Sounds perfect to my ears, no listener fatigue and even my old ears don't "ring".

Attachments

• IMG_5226.jpeg
    IMG_5226.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 56

milosz

Forum Donor
Possibly you could build your own attenuation network to use inline with the high output MC cartridge. But why attenuate the signal from the cartridge? Does it overload the Zphono? Why not attenuate the OUTPUT of the Zphono? This is much less likely to change frequency response or add noise than putting the attenuator between the cartridge and the preamp.

Cwopete5

Possibly you could build your own attenuation network to use inline with the high output MC cartridge. But why attenuate the signal from the cartridge? Does it overload the Zphono? Why not attenuate the OUTPUT of the Zphono? This is much less likely to change frequency response or add noise than putting the attenuator between the cartridge and the preamp.
The problem manifested itself with my old amplifier, but with the Vincent Audio SV-500, the 46 dB gain from the Parasound Zphono is a non-issue. Appreciate your suggestions, of course.

Top Bottom