• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parasound Zphono Phono Preamplifier Review

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to find it amusing that people would claim that their digitized needledrops of LPs sounded better than their CDs of the same music.

I’m no longer amused, just shaking my head that it’s come to this.
Preference is a personal thing.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to find it amusing that people would claim that their digitized needledrops of LPs sounded better than their CDs of the same music.

I don't think many CDs were issued with the same balance as the one cut to an LP, for practical reasons. Bass is monoed, so if one has a system with modest power/bass capability sending the bass equally to both speakers will be better. Most LPs have high treble cut so the cutter doesn't overload. Again, if one has speakers with bright tweeters the LP balance may well sound nicer.
Generally I think LPs, and hence needle drops sound nicer on systems compromised in power, bass and treble.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Generally I think LPs, and hence needle drops sound nicer on systems compromised in power, bass and treble.

Sounds like every system I had 'growing up,' and like most of the other systems I heard until I started taking it all a bit more seriously.

It's easier to end up 'accidentally' with a fairly nice system these days than it used to be.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's most hi-fi systems, and I agree, vinyl does kind of domesticate sound.

hello_there

I used to find it amusing that people would claim that chocolate ice cream tasted better than vanilla ice cream of the same brand.

I'm no longer amused, just shaking my head that it's come to this.

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
Seems a good part of the discussion in this thread was an Analog vs Digital conversation, which is fine, but if I may circle back -- given the specs and performance of the Zphono, what MM cartridges would pair nicely with it? I've just recently been getting into vinyl and want to upgrade my gear. Seems there is much to be learned on my part about proper impedance, capacitance, peak gain, cart output, etc. I'll be using a Technics SL-23 TT.

Thanks - David

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Seems a good part of the discussion in this thread was an Analog vs Digital conversation, which is fine, but if I may circle back -- given the specs and performance of the Zphono, what MM cartridges would pair nicely with it? I've just recently been getting into vinyl and want to upgrade my gear. Seems there is much to be learned on my part about proper impedance, capacitance, peak gain, cart output, etc. I'll be using a Technics SL-23 TT.

Thanks - David

Parasound specs

• signal-to-noise ratio: 84dB (MM); 58dB (MC)
  • RIAA accuracy: 0.25 dB (20-20,000 Hz)
  • input impedance: 47k ohms (MM); 100 ohms (MC)
  • gain at 1 kHz: (MM +46 dB; MC +61 dB)

Most moving magnets will work fine with 47K load and 46 db of gain. Depending on your budget perhaps one of the better Sumiko Oyster series, Audio Technica, or Clearaudio. Moving coils that are specified for higher loads than 100 ohms - 470 for example - might sound "dull" with the 100 ohm load. The Hana SL is a terrific moving coil but it likes a 470 ohm load better - I have first hand experience with that combination. You could use a 20 db step transformer with the Parasound in moving magnet mode. That should work great. Another choice would be the Hana SH at 2.5 mv in moving magnet mode. Keep in mind the better the diamond profile the more proper setup matters. Spherical is easiest but as you move up the line of diamond shapes - more money - VTA, VTF, Azimuth, Overhang, and Zenith all make more audible differences. Whatever you try proper setup can make all the difference.

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
Parasound specs

Most moving magnets will work fine with 47K load and 46 db of gain. Depending on your budget perhaps one of the better Sumiko Oyster series, Audio Technica, or Clearaudio. Moving coils that are specified for higher loads than 100 ohms - 470 for example - might sound "dull" with the 100 ohm load. The Hana SL is a terrific moving coil but it likes a 470 ohm load better - I have first hand experience with that combination. You could use a 20 db step transformer with the Parasound in moving magnet mode. That should work great. Another choice would be the Hana SH at 2.5 mv in moving magnet mode. Keep in mind the better the diamond profile the more proper setup matters. Spherical is easiest but as you move up the line of diamond shapes - more money - VTA, VTF, Azimuth, Overhang, and Zenith all make more audible differences. Whatever you try proper setup can make all the difference.

Bob thanks for the reply -- the ATVM95ML is probably the leading candidate for me currently, but wasn't sure how it's 3.5mV output relates to the input/output of the Zphono. I'd assume it's within it's acceptable input range, but didn't know if the lower input voltage would equate to lower output from the Zphono as well.

-- Apologize, not sure what context you meant using the 20db step up transformer -- for MC carts or MM carts?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
but wasn't sure how it's 3.5mV output relates to the input/output of the Zphono. I'd assume it's within it's acceptable input range, but didn't know if the lower input voltage would equate to lower output from the Zphono as well.

Plugging some numbers into Excel...
47dB of gain (at 1kHz) is a gain of 224 so 3.5mV in = 0.78V out (RMS).
That's 3dB less than the 5mV reference.

You should be fine as long as you have enough analog gain in the rest of your system. And of course, some records are "louder" than others so you'll run into record-to-record variations greater than 3dB.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Bob thanks for the reply -- the ATVM95ML is probably the leading candidate for me currently, but wasn't sure how it's 3.5mV output relates to the input/output of the Zphono. I'd assume it's within it's acceptable input range, but didn't know if the lower input voltage would equate to lower output from the Zphono as well.

-- Apologize, not sure what context you meant using the 20db step up transformer -- for MC carts or MM carts?
3.5 mv is plenty for the mm input. The step up was for low output moving coil to be compatible with the mm input / think Hana EL or SL,

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Thanks - David

I use a Dynavector 10X5 II high-output moving coil, it suits my VPI Scout 'table.

There are a number of other high-output moving coil pickups that are well regarded, such as those from Ortofon.

High output moving coil cartridges don't require a step-up transformer or high gain settings.

For moving magnet my favorite always has been the Shure V15 Type III, Type IV or Type V - with a Jico stylus. V15's have been out of production for years, but used examples are readily available. As the stylus is subject to wear during use, and the stylus cantilever suspension is subject to hardening through aging, you'll want a new stylus if you buy a used V15. Jico of Japan makes V15 stylii that are considered an improvement over the original design- and they offer a range of stylus tip profiles from conical to elliptical to more exotic shapes. I used a V15 Type III with a Jico "Super Analog" stylus and I can vouch for it's quality.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Parasound specs

I had a Parsound Zphono USB for a couple of years with my Ortofon 2M Blue, but it always sounded dull to me. I upgraded to a Sutherland Insight and was much happier with the 2M Blue on the same turntable. I'd probably stay clear of a low output moving-coil cartridge w/o a step-up transformer on the Zphono due to low signal-to-noise ratio, but most moving-magnet cartridges should work just fine. The transformer might cost more than the Zphono, however.

I'd advise using a low capacitance cable with the Zphono and a moving-magnet cartridge as that may have been the problem with my "dullness". I switched to a low capacitance BJC LC-1 cable after I had moved to the Sutherland and heard a notable improvement in the high frequencies.

Last edited:

milosz

Forum Donor
That is good advice. ALWAYS use a low-capacitance cable from the turntable / cartridge to the preamp- and use as short a cable as you can. The Blue Jeans Cables LC-1 mentioned by the previous poster is a fine cable for this purpose and very reasonably priced.

With these low-level circuits the capacitance of the cable can have an audible impact- the cartridge has an output of only a few thousandths of a volt- it doesn't take many picofarads of capacitance in the cable to "ground off" some of your treble response. The capacitance of the cable acts like a capacitor between the signal coming out of the cartridge and ground - the higher the capacitance the more high frequency signal will go to ground through this capacitance instead of to your preamp.

(Cable capacitance of single-ended coax interconnects can also have an audible impact in other areas too - if you are using an attenuator as a "passive preamp" between your DAC and power amp, for example, if the input impedance of the power amp is on the low side, capacitance in the cable can combine with that low-ish impedance and cause a loss of treble.)

These are some of the rare instances where a cable can have an audible - AND MEASURABLE - effect on the signal. The solution is not a multi-$thousand cable but just paying attention to the type of cable used in certain applications and making sure you keep your cable runs short and use good low-capacitance cable. The Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 is about $40 for a 2-foot pair. A 6 foot pair costs about $54. These are more expensive than Amazon Basic, but in some uses it is worth it. Blue Jeans also uses very high quality RCA plugs which will grip the sockets well.

For audio hookups where the source has a low impedance - like any good DAC, phono stage, CD player, etc - and the active preamp or power amp has a high input impedance- you don't need to pay as much attention to cable capacitance. But in the special circuits like phono input or "passive preamp" attenuator used with a power amp with a low-ish input impedance, one needs to pay attention.

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
That is good advice. ALWAYS use a low-capacitance cable from the turntable / cartridge to the preamp- and use as short a cable as you can. The Blue Jeans Cables LC-1 mentioned by the previous poster is a fine cable for this purpose and very reasonably priced.

With these low-level circuits the capacitance of the cable can have an audible impact- the cartridge has an output of only a few thousandths of a volt- it doesn't take many picofarads of capacitance in the cable to "ground off" some of your treble response. The capacitance of the cable acts like a capacitor between the signal coming out of the cartridge and ground - the higher the capacitance the more high frequency signal will go to ground through this capacitance instead of to your preamp.

(Cable capacitance of single-ended coax interconnects can also have an audible impact in other areas too - if you are using an attenuator as a "passive preamp" between your DAC and power amp, for example, if the input impedance of the power amp is on the low side, capacitance in the cable can combine with that low-ish impedance and cause a loss of treble.)

These are some of the rare instances where a cable can have an audible - AND MEASURABLE - effect on the signal. The solution is not a multi-$thousand cable but just paying attention to the type of cable used in certain applications and making sure you keep your cable runs short and use good low-capacitance cable. The Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 is about $40 for a 2-foot pair. A 6 foot pair costs about $54. These are more expensive than Amazon Basic, but in some uses it is worth it. Blue Jeans also uses very high quality RCA plugs which will grip the sockets well.

For audio hookups where the source has a low impedance - like any good DAC, phono stage, CD player, etc - and the active preamp or power amp has a high input impedance- you don't need to pay as much attention to cable capacitance. But in the special circuits like phono input or "passive preamp" attenuator used with a power amp with a low-ish input impedance, one needs to pay attention.
Thanks, unfortunately the RCA cables on the SL-23 are soldered in place and it's not within my skill set to try to replace them. If I was going to measure the capacitance of the TT at the RCA cable how might I do that?

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Thanks, unfortunately the RCA cables on the SL-23 are soldered in place and it's not within my skill set to try to replace them. If I was going to measure the capacitance of the TT at the RCA cable how might I do that?
You can't change the cable so don't worry about it. You could get a moving coil such as this - https://www.musicdirect.com/phono-cartridges/Audio-Technica-AT-OC9XEN-Dual-MC-Phono-Cartridge

This one will work with the 100 ohm load of the mc position and will not be affected by capacitence.

milosz

Forum Donor
Yeah don't worry about it.

To measure the capacitance might be tricky as it a small value, you'd need to be able to measure down to about 20 picofarads with some level of accuracy. The way you would do it would be to disconnect your phono cartridge from the wiring in the headshell, then unplug the turntable's RCA cables from the preamp they are plugged into, and take the two probes to your capacitance meter and put one on the shield - the "outside ring" of the RCA plug of the cable coming out of the turntable, and then put the other meter probe on the center pin. Don't touch the metal of the RCA plug or the meter probes as your body capacitance will throw off the measurement. Some digital multimeters are capable of doing making measurements like this.

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor

To measure the capacitance might be tricky as it a small value, you'd need to be able to measure down to about 20 picofarads with some level of accuracy. The way you would do it would be to disconnect your phono cartridge from the wiring in the headshell, then unplug the turntable's RCA cables from the preamp they are plugged into, and take the two probes to your capacitance meter and put one on the shield - the "outside ring" of the RCA plug of the cable coming out of the turntable, and then put the other meter probe on the center pin. Don't touch the metal of the RCA plug or the meter probes as your body capacitance will throw off the measurement. Some digital multimeters are capable of doing making measurements like this.

Thanks for the detailed instruction. I'll see if I can get a hold of a good multi-meter that can measure down to 20 picofarads and see what the capacitance coming out of the SL-23 is. Probably a non issue, but the existing RCA cables and ground wire coming out of the TT are in fine shape, but are undoubtedly older.

In regards to the Zphono, from the research I've been doing it seems it's considered one of the higher gain budget preamps, and that pairing it with a lower input mV cart, like the VM95ML creates a nice pairing. Still the Cambridge duo and Modern Fidelity options are not to be ignored either.

Bob had a nice recommendation for a great AT MC cart, but it's unfortunately out of my price range currently.

Thanks for all the great feedback.

milosz

Forum Donor
Cambridge Duo has lower noise level by some margin (but vinyl itself has more noise than the Zphono generates... so it's kind of moot)- yes, Cambridge Duo is a very good preamp and the price is modest.

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor

My SL-23 measured 70.2pf by the method you described above. Which means the Zphono, with it's fixed 150pf won't be a good fit with the AT VM95ML. Need 100pf capacitance or lower.

Considering the Musical Fidelity V90-LPS and LX-lps as well as the Cambridge Duo all which have 100pf.

Thanks for the help again!

Top Bottom