• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parasound Halo P6 - how's the sound on it?

AgentSanchez

Someday I'd love to upgrade and replace my RME Babyface (running as asynchronous DAC). The Halo P5/P6 is at the top of my list in terms of features/functionality and should be fairly future proof for me (2ch or 2.1 setup / no surround).

But I've never heard it..... Can anyone comment on the audio quality?

3125b

Major Contributor
Since the DAC of even the old RME Babyface (released sometime around 2010?) manages >100dB SINAD, there is really nothing to gain in terms of transparency.

And if anything, the Parasound P6 performs worse according to their specifications (and that's just SNR, not taking THD into consideration):
S/N Ratio – DAC Inputs
> 88 dB (unweighted)

If you need the features or like the look of it it's probably fine, but $2000 seems ... steep.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Someday I'd love to upgrade and replace my RME Babyface (running as asynchronous DAC). The Halo P5/P6 is at the top of my list in terms of features/functionality and should be fairly future proof for me (2ch or 2.1 setup / no surround).

But I've never heard it..... Can anyone comment on the audio quality?
I have the P5 and tried the P6 a couple months back. While they should sound the same, they don't. I kept my P5 and returned the P6.
Did not like the midrange or bass of the P6 whatsoever compared to the P5. Midrange did not seem full body and bass was weak.
I know, I know they should sound the same, Sorry in this scenario they don't. I know it's not a placebo effect, because I was wanting to like the P6 and the opposite happened.
The only advantage i would give to the P6 is it;s volume pot. Finer adjustments, but then again I didn't like the lit up volume indicator, which some may like.

EDIT: Audio quality is fantastic, completely transparent, no tweeter his ( of course a good amp helps ). Connectivity options and bass management is great.

OP
A

AgentSanchez

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the sound of the RME straight in to my Hafler Transnova, but want similar quality while maintaining balanced XLR or 1/4" connectivity, and adding remote volume control .

I am not expecting it is possible to improve how clean that signal is in any perceptible way; however, I'd like to not take a hit re: signal and conversion quality.

pma

Major Contributor
Since the DAC of even the old RME Babyface (released sometime around 2010?) manages >100dB SINAD, there is really nothing to gain in terms of transparency.

And if anything, the Parasound P6 performs worse according to their specifications (and that's just SNR, not taking THD into consideration):

If you need the features or like the look of it it's probably fine, but $2000 seems ... steep.

Do you have some relevant distortion measurements other than manufacturer's "raw" data? I measured the Halo P5 and it was not bad at all:

parasound_p5_thdfreq_L_R.png

parasound_p5_ccif_L.png

It is a good result and I expect P6 to be similar. And there are many useful features. Re "sound", there are no problems.

OP
A

AgentSanchez

Agreed re: the features: There is SOOOOO much about the overall design and thought that clearly went in to providing maximum flexibility for inputs/outputs in a predominantly hi-fi setup (2ch or 2.1). But $2k is a lot of dough considering I spent less on my speakers/amp lol (used, of course).

3125b

Major Contributor
I don't have any measurements, but on a $2000 device I would expect the manufacturer to be truthful in their documentation - I don't think that's too much to ask.
Granted, when in doubt it's certainly better to underrate the thing than to overrate it, but they should have performed measurements and the consistency among the individual units should be good enough to rate it appropriately.

raindance

Major Contributor
The RME is lacking what? I am asking because I am thinking of getting one. It appears you can get a remote and it does control volume.

Slayer

Agreed re: the features: There is SOOOOO much about the overall design and thought that clearly went in to providing maximum flexibility for inputs/outputs in a predominantly hi-fi setup (2ch or 2.1). But $2k is a lot of dough considering I spent less on my speakers/amp lol (used, of course).
The P6 is NOT $2000, list is $1599 and you should be able to talk several places down to $1400.
The P5 can be had used for around $800 in mint condition. I saw recently ( don't remember where exactly, but there are still some knew P5's around for approximately $1100.

The RME is lacking what? I am asking because I am thinking of getting one. It appears you can get a remote and it does control volume.
RME is great but doesn't have a dedicated bass management system like the Parasound units.
RME has 1 set RCA out and 1 set of XLR out.
Parasound has ! set RCA out with High pass crossover 1 set RCA out lowpass crossover. Left, Right, Sub XLR out. All 7 pre-outs can be used at the same time.

3125b

Major Contributor
The RME is lacking what?
It's an audio interface whereas the Parasound is a HiFi-preamp - they're completely different devices for different applications.
Also i don't think the current Babyface Pro FS can be controlled via remote, the current ADI-2 (Pro) FS can. Again, all of those are different devices for different applications.

raindance

Major Contributor
@Slayer Got it. I totally forgot about the active crossover piece :facepalm:. There's not a ton of choice out there for 2.1 systems.

OP
A

AgentSanchez

It's an audio interface whereas the Parasound is a HiFi-preamp - they're completely different devices for different applications.
Also i don't think the current Babyface Pro FS can be controlled via remote, the current ADI-2 (Pro) FS can. Again, all of those are different devices for different applications.

Sort of.... The Babyface is just acting as an asynchronous DAC w/ no remote volume / balanced XLR connections, and lacking any remote volume adjustment - it's not connected to any PC. While the Parasound and RME products are clearly aimed at different markets, my intended use case for either is identical - I just want to add remote volume control so I can maintain the single optical from my TV to the DAC and use the TV for input selection - I'm all digital now for sources, and the RME->Hafler-> B&W signal chain I have now sounds INCREDIBLE / is simple / etc. and I'd like to stay true to the current design/quality without breaking the bank. I think the Parasound looks AMAZING but I keep coming back to leaving the current design as-is, and continuing to have to stand up off of the cough to make volume adjustments.

OP
A

AgentSanchez

@Slayer Got it. I totally forgot about the active crossover piece :facepalm:. There's not a ton of choice out there for 2.1 systems.

Yeah The RME is great for 2ch. Also - I think it _MIGHT_ be possible to use the babyface for 2.1. It has some built in / clean DSP and EQ. I cannot recall if it's independent per channel, but if it is, then it would totally work w/ some kind of cable adapter using the headphone out - the babyface remembers the settings which were in place the last time it was connected to a PC w/ Totalmix.

Slayer

Sort of.... The Babyface is just acting as an asynchronous DAC w/ no remote volume / balanced XLR connections, and lacking any remote volume adjustment - it's not connected to any PC. While the Parasound and RME products are clearly aimed at different markets, my intended use case for either is identical - I just want to add remote volume control so I can maintain the single optical from my TV to the DAC and use the TV for input selection - I'm all digital now for sources, and the RME->Hafler-> B&W signal chain I have now sounds INCREDIBLE / is simple / etc. and I'd like to stay true to the current design/quality without breaking the bank. I think the Parasound looks AMAZING but I keep coming back to leaving the current design as-is, and continuing to have to stand up off of the cough to make volume adjustments.
I think it boils down to taking some time and deciding how bad you want or need something. Parasound's main pluses are flexibility and remote.
Like the RME you don't have to worry about transparency, both have it. It is nice to have all the extra analogue inputs.
Good luck in deciding.

OP
A

AgentSanchez

I think it boils down to taking some time and deciding how bad you want or need something. Parasound's main pluses are flexibility and remote.
Like the RME you don't have to worry about transparency, both have it. It is nice to have all the extra analogue inputs.
Good luck in deciding.

I think we all know I'm only rationalizing until I can get my hands on a P5 and rationalize the purchase. Who wants to get up to adjust the volume during a movie after dinner and a blunt lol.

Katji

Major Contributor
Given what Slayer said, look for a good condition P5 and keep the RME Babyface until you're sastified with the P5. RME Babyface should be easy enough to sell[?]
[Slayer posted pic of the back of the P5 yesterday...I'd be interested in finding one, if I had a use for it.] :)

Epos7

Just curious if anyone has played with a P6 since the last reply here?

I was looking into both the P5 and P6, but have heard the P5 had a design issue with the volume pot requiring replacement. That has evidently been fixed on the P6. As pointed out earlier, the rated SNR does seem low given the price ($1595 currently) but maybe Parasound's measurements just come in low? Parasound lists similar numbers for the P5, which measured well in a Stereophile review.

Slayer

Just curious if anyone has played with a P6 since the last reply here?

I was looking into both the P5 and P6, but have heard the P5 had a design issue with the volume pot requiring replacement. That has evidently been fixed on the P6. As pointed out earlier, the rated SNR does seem low given the price ($1595 currently) but maybe Parasound's measurements just come in low? Parasound lists similar numbers for the P5, which measured well in a Stereophile review.
Apologies for the late response, I just now saw your post.
As far as the vol pot issues go on the p5, those were on some of the first units, the problem batch of pots were resolved. Mine is completely silent and tracks very, very well. The noise floor on the unit is dead silent. The p5 is completely neutral in direct mode, of course you can tailor to your liking. The p6 is great also, it just has a different type of vol pot, which you may or may not like. The p6 does seem to have some warmth to it, again may be a plus or negative to you.
As to why Parasound rates their specs so low, I couldn't say. But when tested they far exceed their measurements. They are completely transparent and a dead silent noise floor.

Top Bottom