• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parametric EQ for headphones - what do shelf filters do?

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've never used parametric eq before but, as Moode Audio has now incorporated a 12 band eq in its latest release, I thought I'd give it a try with my Sennheiser HD 600s. I looked at the Oratory 1990 list and started to input this into the Moode eq. The Moode eq doesn't have shelf filters, everything is peak filter only.

My questions is this: how much do shelf filters affect the sound? The HD 600 10 band preset includes 1 X low shelf and 1 X high shelf.

Apologies for my ignorance on this matter!

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
With a shelf the frequency response goes up or down then stays at that level, rather than returning to 'normal' as it would with a peak. I don't see the filters (dropbox link playing up for me) but I guess the low shelf is boosting the falling bass on the HD600. If you use a peaking filter instead of the shelf you'll get the initial boost around the filter frequency, but it will fall back again in the lower bass.

You could try the precomputed filters from autoeq as they only use peaking:
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au...ry1990/harman_over-ear_2018/Sennheiser HD 600

OP
Sukie

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
With a shelf the frequency response goes up or down then stays at that level, rather than returning to 'normal' as it would with a peak. I don't see the filters (dropbox link playing up for me) but I guess the low shelf is boosting the falling bass on the HD600. If you use a peaking filter instead of the shelf you'll get the initial boost around the filter frequency, but it will fall back again in the lower bass.

You could try the precomputed filters from autoeq as they only use peaking:
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/Sennheiser HD 600
Thanks. Really helpful. I'll have a play around with these.

MCH

Major Contributor
Old thread but still relevant for me.
First of all, to the OP, here you have the EQ for the HD600 with peaks exclusively by Oratory himself:

But still, any idea, besides that in post 2, of how to overcome the limitation of no shelf filters in Moode? Thanks!

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
But still, any idea, besides that in post 2, of how to overcome the limitation of no shelf filters in Moode? Thanks!
Moode no longer has that limitation - it now has integrated CamillaDSP support so you can use shelf filters and a whole load more, and/or use convolution. It doesn't have the level of integration for AutoEQ that it looks like will land in future Volumio yet, but once you get to know the gui or the config file format it's been confirmed it can even be used for full active crossovers. There was some talk of removing the previous parametric and graphic eq functions, or at least reimplementing them to use the camilladsp backend, but I don't know if that's happening.

Reactions: MCH

MCH

Major Contributor
Moode no longer has that limitation - it now has integrated CamillaDSP support so you can use shelf filters and a whole load more, and/or use convolution. It doesn't have the level of integration for AutoEQ that it looks like will land in future Volumio yet, but once you get to know the gui or the config file format it's been confirmed it can even be used for full active crossovers. There was some talk of removing the previous parametric and graphic eq functions, or at least reimplementing them to use the camilladsp backend, but I don't know if that's happening.
Thanks! Will have to dig more on how to input eq parameters into camilladsp

Top Bottom