• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Paradigm's new Founder serie

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bass response seems pretty feeble for speakers of that size.

I used to love the Paradigm line; in the late '90s I really wanted to get their floorstanders but WAF wasn't there. But I've listened to the new Founder Series and, flat response or not, I don’t care for them.

FYI The NRC chamber isn't accurate below 100Hz so you can't judge bass extension from it.

jonfitch

Hoping to see the measurements of the coaxial 70 LCR model at some point to see if it's competitive.

AlexanderM

I've been looking at Paradigm some lately and am trying to determine if the Monitor Series is worth considering. In his conclusion in the Monitor SE Atom review Amir says, "As is, without EQ, I cannot recommend the Paradigm Monitor SE Atom. With EQ, it is quite serviceable and likely superior to other speakers." So then with EQ it is a good speaker, yes? I've also been looking at the Founder series as well, it's pricey but looks great.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Stereophiles measurements and review of the 120H

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If I could afford them, the 120H might be nice option for people like me whose system is in a family room in which WAF precludes the possibility of having one or more subs.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
What does mean the woofer seems to be a little underdamping based in the step response?
That claim is in the review, just asking.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What does mean the woofer seems to be a little underdamping based in the step response?
I think that is a good question as I personally find hard to see from a 4 ms plot, so let's ask @John Atkinson himself.

Avp1

Look at step response. It is ringing bass driver. Well damped driver won't have more than 1 cycle before it settles.

1122para.Para120Hfig7.jpg

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Look at step response. It is ringing bass driver. Well damped driver won't have more than 1 cycle before it settles.

I dont see much step response that settles, most of them dont even fit in the time windows.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

The period of that oscillation is around 2 ms which equates to 500 Hz, that's why I wrote above the plot x scale is too narrow to see a bass resonance.

Avp1

The period of that oscillation is around 2 ms which equates to 500 Hz, that's why I wrote above the plot x scale is too narrow to see a bass resonance.

Then it is even worse - there should be no undamped resonances anywhere within mid-range. Looking at frequency response chart I wounder if this corresponds to peak in port output. If it is - this is a major design error.

3125b

Major Contributor
Something is going on with their tweeter, with a waveguide that size it should not behave like that.
And the initially interesting looking 70LCR - well hell no, that's rough.

They nailed the look, but actual audio performance not so much.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then it is even worse - there should be no undamped resonances anywhere within mid-range. Looking at frequency response chart I wounder if this corresponds to peak in port output. If it is - this is a major design error.
I was wondering that too, although the period seems a bit too short to correspond to the 300 Hz port resonance.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I had listened the 100H and i found it very pretty and nice sounding... i didn't hear any weird thing about it's bass, but also i notice the 120H version use 3 x 8'', the 100F use 3 x 7'' which is a lot give it's size, maybe 3 x 8'' it's a bit of a abuse?

AlexanderM

I had listened the 100H and i found it very pretty and nice sounding... i didn't hear any weird thing about it's bass, but also i notice the 120H version use 3 x 8'', the 100F use 3 x 7'' which is a lot give it's size, maybe 3 x 8'' it's a bit of a abuse?
I had the same experience, really liked the sound.

Top Bottom