• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Paradigm Persona,

joefig44

I wonder if the back ports' air movements of the Persona C could be causing something behind it to vibrate.

Is it placed close to something that could vibrate?

Try plugging the ports with cloths/foam, etc and see if that helps?
Great suggestion - will try that.

It's placed on a TV stand and is tilted up by 2 inches (placed some felt floor savers under the front feet) since the TV stand is low profile.

It's about 10" off back wall.

joefig44

An easier route would be to EQ the huge treble hump out with multiple shelves starting at 6-7kHz.

I found them impossibly bright, and zero toe-in didn’t help.
I use Dirac Live. I play with no eq above 350hz vs. full eq that has a target curve that drops +7khz by 1.5dB, but it should be stated overall they measure pretty flat in my room with no EQ above 350hz.

To be honest, I don't mind the no eq. Sometimes full EQ sounds "boxy" whereas no eq above 350hz on the Personas seems to unveil them.
Other times, I like the full sound of full EQ.

Tom C

Major Contributor
FWIW, not that it’s worth anything, but it makes me feel better to post, so I do…
After I finish my morning cup of joe listening to Persona 3f, I climb into my SUV and go to work listening to Revel Ultimate for auto. Similar, and at times identical, listening material; I hear not much difference in the degree of emphasis of the top end. The Revel can sound a bit harsh to me at times, when I turn it up a bit loud to overcome the road noise, and the orchestra crescendo from a recording from the early days of stereo comes on. It could be a formally trained listener can hear the difference in the reproduction of high frequencies between the two systems, but I really can’t. Or, it could be that the spinorama bothers the eye a bit more than the ear. I’m fully confident Amir can measure differences that I am completely unable to hear.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I use Dirac Live. I play with no eq above 350hz vs. full eq that has a target curve that drops +7khz by 1.5dB, but it should be stated overall they measure pretty flat in my room with no EQ above 350hz.
I would recommend you take some time with Dirac and try to EQ out the disturbing qualities.
I did think that part of the issue just may be source related, that's not a unusual failing for many. Find a repeatable source with that problem and just try switching the centers cable between the C and one of the F's. A more accurate comparison than with a stereo phantom image sound.
You might also try playing with the C's vertical angle, tipping the speaker up or down and hearing a different blend of the
1" tweeter and 4" mid driver. A free and easy tweak.
Best of luck,
Sal

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Paradigm manuals (at least those I read for studio and signature) always recommend off axis anyway.....
Funny, I didn't know that. The dealer who auditioned them for me (Audio Doctor, NJ) went bananas when I removed the toe-in: "Oh no, you can't. The image is ruined now". Can't say I heard what he suggested, but they still seemed fatiguing to me.

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Funny, I didn't know that. The dealer who auditioned them for me (Audio Doctor, NJ) went bananas when I removed the toe-in: "Oh no, you can't. The image is ruined now". Can't see I heard what he suggested, but they still seemed fatiguing to me.
All I can say is what you hear is certainly correct for you, based on that specific room, your listening position, music materials, and your hearing sensitivity.

Maybe in other owners' room with their music, it might sound less fatiguing for you.

steve59

Major Contributor
while I heard the potential of the persona's, 7f specifically it wasn't until I got to hear them with the pathos logos mk 2 that I was convinced. Like I previously said the shop had the speakers in the middle of a 16x25x8' room across the long wall with the chair against the wall of an equal triangle. In my room I was able to get amazing bass and treble, but my hegel didn't produce the sweet mids the pathos did. I was considering trading my hegel for the pathos when a pair of blades came up locally so I decided to keep the hegel and sell the persona's, but part of my decision was I made a small profit selling the personas and trading the 250 wpc hegel for the 100 wpc pathos would have resulted in a loss.

joefig44

IMG_1855.JPG

I have my Persona C angled up with these stacked felt floor saver things under the front legs.
Last night I was playing some of the troublesome content and testing out removing them and making the C sit flat on my TV stand.
Even though this means my ears are now further/higher up (further off axis to the higher), it seemed to slightly diminish the issue I'm experiencing with the mids.
With it angled (as in the pic) at my MLP I'm basically slightly off axis to the lower side; but with the speaker sitting flat without the felt risers, I'm slightly more off axis but instead to the higher side.

The other thing is listening to this same content with my ear about 1' in front of the speaker, I could not hear the issue.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The other thing is listening to this same content with my ear about 1' in front of the speaker, I could not hear the issue
Could be a room issue. ? Slap echo?

I have my Persona C angled up with these stacked felt floor saver things under the front legs.
Looks like you had the same idea as me, I used 3 rubber door stops under the front to angle my JBL's
up towards the MLP. ;)
IMG_2911center.jpg

Faxe

I have became a Paradigm Persona 3F owner today . It is a demo pair from my local dealer. They allowed me to try the speakers at home and today I decided to buy them. One speaker has some small scratches but a get a good discount so I made a good deal. They are driven by a Lyngdorf TDAI 3400.

p638631141-5.jpg

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have became a Paradigm Persona 3F owner today . It is a demo pair from my local dealer. They allowed me to try the speakers at home and today I decided to buy them. One speaker has some small scratches but a get a good discount so I made a good deal. They are driven by a Lyngdorf TDAI 3400.

p638631141-5.jpg
Congrats! Just out of curiosity, what speaker did you have before and what are your thoughts as to how they compare?

Faxe

Tannoy Precision 6.4. The Paradigm's are producing a more detailed, better balanced sound. I can play at much harder volume without getting annoyed by the sound of the speakers.
p530716818-5.jpg

steve59

Major Contributor
With the right electronics the persona's are unbeatable.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Congrats! A little bit of DRC with the Lyngdorg should have them singing like angels.

Descartes

Major Contributor
It is a clear step above the rest due to active sub with room eq. The rest don't measure up.

Also, be careful about their support. Make sure you have local support and equipment doesn't have to go to Canada and back for repairs.
Did you measure them? I can’t find the reviews

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ugh, I couldn't play the Persona 3F at any volume without getting annoyed.

Top Bottom