• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Paradigm Monitor SE Atom Speaker Review

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Another speaker with the batman symbol curve. Perhaps they know something we don’t.
Even more extreme on this recent review of their top end model Paradigm Persona B

1606375209450.png

Source https://www.hifinews.com/content/paradigm-persona-b-loudspeakers-lab-report

GimeDsp

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Even more extreme on this recent review of their top end model Paradigm Persona B

View attachment 95910

Source https://www.hifinews.com/content/paradigm-persona-b-loudspeakers-lab-report

I have a friend who order a pair of these in a custom color. I think they cost ~$8K. I was with him when he auditioned a pair and could not believe he liked them and placed an order. I would not have paid $1K for them. I heard the flagship 9H recently at another dealer with another friend. He rightly selected the Salon 2s as the best speakers in that room.

Soundstage! measured the Persona B as well.

Listening window:

fr_listeningwindow.gif

Nope!

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 95910

That graph is misleading due to only 30dB total spread on the y-axis and then on the X-axis it's showing up to 60kHz for some unknown reason, and it's above 20kHz that the frequency response gets real funky - so if you put it all into perspective you see that the response is "only" varying about +/- 4dB from 60Hz - 20kHz. So it's not good, but it's nowhere near as bad as it looks in the graph you linked.

beagleman

Major Contributor
That graph is misleading due to only 30dB total spread on the y-axis and then on the X-axis it's showing up to 60kHz for some unknown reason, and it's above 20kHz that the frequency response gets real funky - so if you put it all into perspective you see that the response is "only" varying about +/- 4dB from 60Hz - 20kHz. So it's not good, but it's nowhere near as bad as it looks in the graph you linked.

A lot of speakers use a very similar response, a dip in the 2-3khz range, and a bit of boost in the 8-10 khz range.

I have read that many like that sound, it keeps vocals and similar sounds from being "Too" forward and allows clarity at the upper end for listeners that have older hearing.

Not saying it is ideal, but I have owned speakers that were flat in the mids and also this type.

The "Dip" ones sound a bit recessed, but are more listenable long term for sure.
The ones without that "Dip" came across as the singer was right "There", but got tiring at higher levels.

The highs, listener dependent.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A lot of speakers use a very similar response, a dip in the 2-3khz range, and a bit of boost in the 8-10 khz range.

I have read that many like that sound, it keeps vocals and similar sounds from being "Too" forward and allows clarity at the upper end for listeners that have older hearing.

Not saying it is ideal, but I have owned speakers that were flat in the mids and also this type.

The "Dip" ones sound a bit recessed, but are more listenable long term for sure.
The ones without that "Dip" came across as the singer was right "There", but got tiring at higher levels.

The highs, listener dependent.
That could be all fine & well, but not sure why you quoted my post, as I was more talking about how the graph that user "thewas" linked was misleading in making the frequency response look more erratic than it actually is.

damirj79

Measured with dirac live on Pioneer:
IMG_20230302_170222.jpg

Of course placed in a room, mic on listening position etc but its strange i don't really see that nasty tweeter peak at 15khz. It doesn't sound so bad either. I expected much more pronounced "batman" frequency response though and therefore nervous sound.

Top Bottom