• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Paradigm Monitor 7 ver 3 towers...what now

CyRock

I have had these since the mid 90's I believe if my math is correct. I did store for about 5 years due to moving and building a home. Retail back then was $700 or $800 (US) I would guess. I am looking for something new that would be an improvement for 2 channel use. I read that the technology for speakers hasn't changed much...compared to subs, amps...whether speakers have or not, I have no idea. I don't really have access to local shops to go in and listen either.

What is the starting price range for a modern day tower pair that would surpass a middle of the road Paradigm back in the day. Thanks

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Here's the towers that Amir reviewed so far:
1611640001831.png

1. the cheapest "recommended" speaker was JBL HDI-3600, for US$3,800/pair MSRP
2. the cheapest "highly recommended" speaker was Revel F35, for US$1,600/pair MSRP

IMO, Kef R5/7/9 towers should be on the consideration list, along with Revels and JBL.

noobie1

If you haven't already done so, consider applying Digital Room Correction to your current speakers. You may find a great improvement in your listening experience. All you need to invest in is a compatible USB microphone and donationware software (REW). If you're unhappy with your speakers then I would look to buy new. Even if you decide to buy new, you will probably benefit from some sort DRC down the line.

JSHamlet234

Those were some phenomenal speakers for the price in their day (and v.3/v.4 were my favorite)- I wonder how hard they will actually be to beat.

OP
C

CyRock

Those were some phenomenal speakers for the price in their day (and v.3/v.4 were my favorite)- I wonder how hard they will actually be to beat.

Thanks for your insight and yeah, I don't know what would beat them...very few or maybe a lot, I really don't know. I seem to remember they were entry level-ish/lower mid when I bought them new from the local audio shop. I think they are still fine as I haven't driven them hard. I don't know that much, if anything, about the Audio world so this forum is a great learning tool.

I guess I am interested in what's new in the market...new sound and maybe more clarity...a noticeable better system? I have been looking at towers and specially the SVS Prime Pinnacles and a couple of others for something new. I'd probably keep my Paradigms if the technology hasn't changed that much in speakers and just buy some nicer components to get some new life out of them. I just don't know if new components would make a difference. I did recently by a new Denon X3500H...not a fan of it and primarily listen to 2 channel. I will be replacing this, no matter what.

JSHamlet234

Any speakers costing over $1000/pair SHOULD be able to trounce them. It doesn't mean they will, but they absolutely should. I would make sure that you can return them without incurring a loss if the new pair turns out to be more of a "side-grade" than an upgrade.

I would love to see what to see what early 2000s Paradigm speakers do on the Spinorama, and then compare to todays speakers in the same price range, inflation adjusted (especially the "high-end budget" Monitor series and the "budget high-end" Studio series).

TimW

Major Contributor
Thanks for your insight and yeah, I don't know what would beat them...very few or maybe a lot, I really don't know. I seem to remember they were entry level-ish/lower mid when I bought them new from the local audio shop. I think they are still fine as I haven't driven them hard. I don't know that much, if anything, about the Audio world so this forum is a great learning tool.

I guess I am interested in what's new in the market...new sound and maybe more clarity...a noticeable better system? I have been looking at towers and specially the SVS Prime Pinnacles and a couple of others for something new. I'd probably keep my Paradigms if the technology hasn't changed that much in speakers and just buy some nicer components to get some new life out of them. I just don't know if new components would make a difference. I did recently by a new Denon X3500H...not a fan of it and primarily listen to 2 channel. I will be replacing this, no matter what.

What don't you like about the Denon X3500H?

OP
C

CyRock

What don't you like about the Denon X3500H?

I wish I had focused my buy on 2 channel components as surround sound isn't necessarily my thing and the Heos app is clunky.

TimW

Major Contributor
I wish I had focused my buy on 2 channel components as surround sound isn't necessarily my thing and the Heos app is clunky.
I get that, I have tried using a few streaming solutions that weren't easy to use and it made listening to music less enjoyable. I also understand not needing all of the features built into a surround receiver. However, these recent Denon receivers measured here have very decent performance. To the point that you probably won't notice any audible improvements by going with higher end stereo equipment. Your model has Audyssey MultEQ XT32 with SubEQ HT and compatibility with the Audyssey MultEQ Editor App which looks to perform pretty well. If you haven't already, I would try using that room correction system to see what improvements you can get with your current speakers. You can also look at getting a digital output streamer for use with the Denon.

OP
C

CyRock

I get that, I have tried using a few streaming solutions that weren't easy to use and it made listening to music less enjoyable. I also understand not needing all of the features built into a surround receiver. However, these recent Denon receivers measured here have very decent performance. To the point that you probably won't notice any audible improvements by going with higher end stereo equipment. Your model has Audyssey MultEQ XT32 with SubEQ HT and compatibility with the Audyssey MultEQ Editor App which looks to perform pretty well. If you haven't already, I would try using that room correction system to see what improvements you can get with your current speakers. You can also look at getting a digital output streamer for use with the Denon.

Thanks Tim. Just want to clarify that mine is the 3500, not the 3600 per the link. Are they nearly the same?

TimW

Major Contributor
Thanks Tim. Just want to clarify that mine is the 3500, not the 3600 per the link. Are they nearly the same?
They are very similar as far as I can tell. Here is a review of the X3500H. Very decent performance when you look at the amplifier measurements. The DAC did not measure up to Amir's standards at 2V output but this is due to the amps clipping. When he measured the DAC at 1V output it was just fine and does not impede the amplifier performance so as a package the receiver performs competently powering 2 channels.

OP
C

CyRock

An update: I think I am down to Monitor Audio silver 300's or the Ascend towers with dome tweeter. Both approximately $2000/pair. My room is approximately 18 x 24 (May move to smaller room at some point) and audio is mainly music (Acoustic, Rock, Jazz... any and all music really) . Open to another brand in similar price range.

Thoughts on either as its impossible to listen to either in my area. Thank you

Last edited:

A Surfer

Major Contributor
An update: I think I am down to Monitor Audio silver 300's or the Ascend towers with dome tweeter. Both approximately $2000/pair. My room is approximately 18 x 24 (May move to smaller room at some point) and audio is mainly music (Acoustic, Rock, Jazz... any and all music really) . Open to another brand in similar price range.

Thoughts on either as its impossible to listen to either in my area. Thank you
I have Monitor Audio PL200s supported by two SVS SB2000 Pro subs. I am quite happy and before finding the PL200 used for a staggeringly good price (the seller regretted selling them despite having top of the the line Revel speakers) I was considering the Silver 300s. I never did get to audition them as the pandemic hit right around the time I was curious. Let me know how they work out if you go that route, I would be curious.

Digi

I have Monitor Audio PL200s supported by two SVS SB2000 Pro subs. I am quite happy and before finding the PL200 used for a staggeringly good price (the seller regretted selling them despite having top of the the line Revel speakers) I was considering the Silver 300s. I never did get to audition them as the pandemic hit right around the time I was curious. Let me know how they work out if you go that route, I would be curious.
Hello, Could you help in identifying if Monitor Audio PL200II speakers are any good for 2.0 stereo? Would you say if they are on the warmer or brighter side of neutral?

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Hello, Could you help in identifying if Monitor Audio PL200II speakers are any good for 2.0 stereo? Would you say if they are on the warmer or brighter side of neutral?
My set are not the 2 version, so they will differ to some extent, but I would be surprised if they were voiced differently to any significant extent. The PL200 is certainly a hair on the warm side, but I feel that is a very good thing. To my ears they are simply gorgeous sounding and based on reviews it seems that I am not alone in that thinking.

If you don't run sub woofers, you should though, the PL200 have meaningful low frequency extension down pretty low. Certainly extended for the vast majority of music you will ever encounter. That doesn't mean that subs won't add, because they will, but as a 2.0 speaker the PL200 is very satisfying without a doubt. I have 52 year old ears now so my high frequency hearing acuity is diminished as compared with younger ears, I think I can hear to about 12kHz, not much more if at all. Fine for me as I really don't think there is that much information in the music much higher and what I may be missing doesn't seem that impactful so I'm good with it.

Digi

My set are not the 2 version, so they will differ to some extent, but I would be surprised if they were voiced differently to any significant extent. The PL200 is certainly a hair on the warm side, but I feel that is a very good thing. To my ears they are simply gorgeous sounding and based on reviews it seems that I am not alone in that thinking.

If you don't run sub woofers, you should though, the PL200 have meaningful low frequency extension down pretty low. Certainly extended for the vast majority of music you will ever encounter. That doesn't mean that subs won't add, because they will, but as a 2.0 speaker the PL200 is very satisfying without a doubt. I have 52 year old ears now so my high frequency hearing acuity is diminished as compared with younger ears, I think I can hear to about 12kHz, not much more if at all. Fine for me as I really don't think there is that much information in the music much higher and what I may be missing doesn't seem that impactful so I'm good with it.
Thanks for reaching out. What amplifier and pre-amplifier are you using? Can I use a Hegel H390 or Roskan Blak to drive these PL200 2 version?

Digi

Are the HF on the 2 version a bit different to the 1 version? I read where the 1 version was on the bright side and the 2 version suppose to be on the neutral side

Top Bottom