• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Paradigm Cinema 100 Review (home theater speakers)

slipchuck

Has anyone ever actually listened to these? With my NAD t758v3i and 7 of these speakers it really does blow away other bigger speakers

slipchuck

Has anyone ever actually listened to these? With my NAD t758v3i and 7 of these speakers it really does blow away other bigger speakers
Also, why review if you don't have the full system? Anyone should know small speakers like this need a subwoofer

YSC

Major Contributor
Also, why review if you don't have the full system? Anyone should know small speakers like this need a subwoofer
Well… if you did read into the science it’s not about the lack of bass where a sub would help, but the highs are way above the desired neutrality on axis. So this thing won’t sound less harsh with a sub

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Easily fixed with EQ.

Meanwhile bass accounts for 30% of listeners' preferences. These speakers can be bought without one, but they are clearly 'meant' to work best with a sub.

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
When reviewers who never outrightly say anything bad, unlike ASR, it’s important to read between the lines. When one of them say “…they are at the top of my list for a secondary TV and light music system.” you run away as fast as possible.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even if you are looking for "a secondary TV and light music system"?

Have you thought this reflex response through?

slipchuck

Well… if you did read into the science it’s not about the lack of bass where a sub would help, but the highs are way above the desired neutrality on axis. So this thing won’t sound less harsh with a sub
These speakers are made to have a sub. Measuring without the sub is like only measuring half a full frequency tower.
Dirac tames the highs and balances the system out very well

bobitto

Forum Donor
Would be good to use two of them as surrounds along with Paradigm Monitor. Tweeter is not the same but close. What do you think? Size is great for my needs

attaboy

I own them too and enjoy the sound. I appreciate the flexibility of the size and design to wall-mount or sit on a shelf. I probably prefer slightly exaggerated highs with my middle-age ears but they sound quite good with the sub for movies. I have my AVR crossover frequency set to 120 Hz, and same on the sub, which has its own cutoff setting.

I’m probably missing a little bit in the low-mid-range, but it’s not bad at all. If I could change anything though, I’d swap out at least the center speaker for something with a bit more low-end response.

(I probably paid about CAD $600 for these many years ago, BTW.)

Last edited:

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The center probably needs low end response the least, if the system is only for movies.

YSC

Major Contributor
I own them too and enjoy the sound. I appreciate the flexibility of the size and design to wall-mount or sit on a shelf. I probably prefer slightly exaggerated highs with my middle-age ears but they sound quite good with the sub for movies. I have my AVR crossover frequency set to 120 Hz, and same on the sub, which has its own cutoff setting.

I’m probably missing a little bit in the low-mid-range, but it’s not bad at all. If I could change anything though, I’d swap out at least the center speaker for something with a bit more low-end response.
actually ignoring the top end shelf, it actually is quite flat, and with age likely it don't matter to most of it's customer base anyway

Top Bottom