• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Panasonic UB9000 or Panasonic UB820 with a Topping DX7 Pro DAC???

Cane1992

Looking to replace my Oppo 105D (great unit but want 4k video but still want good sound from my CD's). Was looking to get the Panasonic UB9000 but then I started looking into various DAC options out there and thought I could get basically the same video performance out of the Panasonic UB820 and then put a nice DAC for the audio. Liked the Topping DX Pro as an option for the price and it has a headphone amp which I could use.

Anyone out there with that or similar setup?

Thoughts and opinions...

A/V Gear:
Oppo 105D (looking to replace for 4K video)
Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp
Emotiva XPA-3, XPA-5, XPA-7 amps
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, Horizon center and (8) CBM-170 for surround sound
Rythmik F-12SE subwoofers (2)
LG OLED65E6P TV

Last edited:
OP
C

Cane1992

My thinking was I could get better sound from the UB820 when connected to the DX7 Pro then from the more expensive UB9000.

Anyone have a Panasonic UB820 with an external DAC?

JBH129

I would suggest trying the 820 as a standalone video player and DAC. My bet is that it is transparent enough on the audio side to make the DX7 Pro unnecessary.

OP
C

Cane1992

I would suggest trying the 820 as a standalone video player and DAC. My bet is that it is transparent enough on the audio side to make the DX7 Pro unnecessary.

Coming from an Oppo 105 that was upgraded by The Upgrade Company, I seriously doubt the audio of the 820 will be good enough. but processing through the Yamaha A5100 is pretty good.

Krobar

If going digital output you could just go with one of the cheapest 100 series Panasonics. They are fast, work well and can decode DSD files on USB etc.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I honestly don't know what DAC's Panasonic puts in it's TV's, I know newer model one's prefer beatstream (set as default). While it's deacent enough (to my hearing) for speakers over the 3.5 headphone out the software is retarded (at least on model I have) so there's no line out analogue mode. There's optical out in PCM with level control. Would absolutely go for an external DAC/headphone amp for good headphones.
Meh i leave wishes and preferences regarding that to your imagination, only requirement it has to offer is deacent optical line in.

Sprint

Forum Donor
Looking to replace my Oppo 105D (great unit but want 4k video but still want good sound from my CD's). Was looking to get the Panasonic UB9000 but then I started looking into various DAC options out there and thought I could get basically the same video performance out of the Panasonic UB820 and then put a nice DAC for the audio. Liked the Topping DX Pro as an option for the price and it has a headphone amp which I could use.

Anyone out there with that or similar setup?

Thoughts and opinions...

A/V Gear:
Oppo 105D (looking to replace for 4K video)
Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp
Emotiva XPA-3, XPA-5, XPA-7 amps
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, Horizon center and (8) CBM-170 for surround sound
Rythmik F-12SE subwoofers (2)
LG OLED65E6P TV

How do you rate the Yamaha CX-5100 for 2channel music? How is the bass management handled for 2ch music and then surround for movies)?

Top Bottom