• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Panasonic SA-XR 55/57 and Other Early Class-D amps

cookiefactory

Forum Donor
Anyone here use the Panasonic SA-XR 55, 57. etc A/V receiver? They along with the T-amp were one of first “digital” amps to go viral and become an internet sensation.

I’ve been using the SA-XR57 to drive my Energy Veritas 2.4i floorstanders but recently have begun eyeing the Benchmark AHB2. My brain says I won’t notice any difference but maybe there’s something there? Curious if anyone else in a similar position.

taloyd

I used to and was quite impressed with the sound coming out of them relative to the cost! (Qualified by: only when fed a digital input, since it's a truly a digital amplifier. Analog in was mediocre.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
It would be really interesting to have the SA-XR57 measured if you wouldn't mind parting with the unit for a while.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve been using the SA-XR57 to drive my Energy Veritas 2.4i floorstanders but recently have begun eyeing the Benchmark AHB2. My brain says I won’t notice any difference but maybe there’s something there? Curious if anyone else in a similar position.

Depending on the impedance curve on your speakers, you may well hear a difference. Their response varies quite a bit with speaker impedance.

I bought one of those when they came out. Such a cool story: blue chip TacT audiophile technology, and cheap! But it turns out there’s a reason analog Class D amps vastly outnumber PCM->PWM converters.

OP
cookiefactory

cookiefactory

Forum Donor
Depending on the impedance curve on your speakers, you may well hear a difference. Their response varies quite a bit with speaker impedance.

I bought one of those when they came out. Such a cool story: blue chip TacT audiophile technology, and cheap! But it turns out there’s a reason analog Class D amps vastly outnumber PCM->PWM converters.

Interesting, I take it that reason is the impedance/response variability? I’m going to send my SA-XR57 to Amir for testing so I guess we’ll find out soon enough!

SEKLEM

If you are in US, start a conversation with me and we can take it from there.
I'm definitely interested in seeing this. I used to have one of these and it sounded good (again, when fed with SPDIF, analog inputs were just so-so).

OP
cookiefactory

cookiefactory

Forum Donor
Same, I’m quite curious if all that hype was warranted (at least from a performance perspective). It’ll also be interesting to see how it compares to modern Class-D amps (i.e how far the industry has advanced).

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm definitely interested in seeing this. I used to have one of these and it sounded good (again, when fed with SPDIF, analog inputs were just so-so).
He shipped it already so the test will come....

ephemere

Sharp had a class-D technology similar (I think) to the TI Equibit in the TacT and Panasonic units. It debuted in the $15,000 SM-SX100 integrated amplifier and eventually trickled down to consumer-friendly products. I have two copies of the Sharp SD-EX111, which is a one-box CDP+tuner+amplifier using the same basic amplifier technology. I don't know if it's worth measuring, especially because it's a pure digital amp that has no digital inputs. It does have an analog input, which presumably goes through an A/D conversion of some sort.

Looks like Sharp kept a lot of info up on the Internet, most of it 20 years old now! It's really cool that they archived all this.

taloyd

1106panasonic.12.jpg

While that graph looks bad (and strange - likely due to the actually digital (switching without D/A conversion) amplifier) - THD isn't a great psychoacoustic measurement for sound quality as perceived by humans without decomposing by harmonics (referencing Earl Geddes about this).

Also:
This graph shows that the SA-XR57's left channel, from CD input to speaker output with two channels driving 8-ohm loads, reaches 0.1% distortion at
77.9 watts and 1% distortion at 116.0 watts. Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1% distortion at
151.5 watts and 1% distortion at 204.3 watts.

...that's pretty amazing - many very expensive amplifiers don't double power output into half the impedance - and here it looks like almost exactly that. I'm curious if they used a digital connection into the [digital] amplifier or if they used the analog out from the CDP - the latter would produce TERRIBLE results as the amplifier is required to have an A/D conversion stage as it is (yes, again) a digital amplifier. I don't think it's similar to other AVRs - certainly not in its very cheap price bracket.

Subjectively, I felt it was a very enjoyable amplifier, though bested by the Tripath-based switching-output-stage pro-audio market Carver ZR1000 - one of the best amplifiers I've had the pleasure of owning, along with the Monarchy SM-70 (a completely balanced class A analog amplifier).

Cheers,
Tal

OP
cookiefactory

cookiefactory

Forum Donor
Actually am I wrong or are those numbers significantly better than most of the AVR measurements we've seen thus far, particularly the signal to noise?

Krusty09

Forum Donor
I still have the Panasonic 57 but haven't used it in a long time but remember when I did with some vsa vr4s in the day that a digital out of a sacd player to the digital in on the amp at 24.192 sounded awesome. I am not sure why I changed my rig but I did. With that said it did sound really good. I think between Panasonic and Sony S master they were ahead of there time. I would be surprised if when the king does a review that they fail really badly.

OP
cookiefactory

cookiefactory

Forum Donor
1106panasonic.12.jpg

While that graph looks bad (and strange - likely due to the actually digital (switching without D/A conversion) amplifier) - THD isn't a great psychoacoustic measurement for sound quality as perceived by humans without decomposing by harmonics (referencing Earl Geddes about this).

Also:
This graph shows that the SA-XR57's left channel, from CD input to speaker output with two channels driving 8-ohm loads, reaches 0.1% distortion at
77.9 watts and 1% distortion at 116.0 watts. Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1% distortion at
151.5 watts and 1% distortion at 204.3 watts.

...that's pretty amazing - many very expensive amplifiers don't double power output into half the impedance - and here it looks like almost exactly that. I'm curious if they used a digital connection into the [digital] amplifier or if they used the analog out from the CDP - the latter would produce TERRIBLE results as the amplifier is required to have an A/D conversion stage as it is (yes, again) a digital amplifier. I don't think it's similar to other AVRs - certainly not in its very cheap price bracket.

Subjectively, I felt it was a very enjoyable amplifier, though bested by the Tripath-based switching-output-stage pro-audio market Carver ZR1000 - one of the best amplifiers I've had the pleasure of owning, along with the Monarchy SM-70 (a completely balanced class A analog amplifier).

Cheers,
Tal

It's curious but the graph is titled for the Onkyo TX-SR504 A/V Receiver rather than the SA-XR57. Chances are it's just a copy & paste type error but does open that tiny bit of doubt.

Yesterday I found an old thread on AVSForum where the question was raised, "Is the SA-XR55/57 suitable for 4-ohm speakers?". From the above measurements it looks like it is. When one considers the Dual Amp feature (where it uses the unused Speaker B channels to double up the power) and the Bi-wire feature, you're looking at using 6 out of 7 channels to drive a 2-channel setup. That's ~453 watts into 4 ohms at 0.1% distortion for compatible (i.e. bi-wirable) speakers!

SEKLEM

When one considers the Dual Amp feature (where it uses the unused Speaker B channels to double up the power) and the Bi-wire feature, you're looking at using 6 out of 7 channels to drive a 2-channel setup. That's ~453 watts into 4 ohms at 0.1% distortion for compatible (i.e. bi-wirable) speakers!

Is that how that really works?

OP
cookiefactory

cookiefactory

Forum Donor
Is that how that really works?

Pretty certain for the dual amp part. Not 100% on the “tri-amp” aspect as there is some ambiguity on the Panny’s Bi-wire functionality, particularly when active alongside the Dual Amp.

Top Bottom