• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Panasonic RP-TCM125 Review (Budget IEM)

Merkurio

Question for you IEM heavyweights: are the tips universal on these IEMs? I like to buy a bunch so I can use a fresh one for testing.

The compatibility of most tips is determined by the IEM nozzle diameter, so you can buy a great variety of aftermarket tips using that as reference.

Comfort aside, different tips also play an important role changing certain aspects of frequency response, so it would be very insightful to see some research about this topic in the future.

Last edited:

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Question for you IEM heavyweights: are the tips universal on these IEMs? I like to buy a bunch so I can use a fresh one for testing.
From experience, tips can sound quite different even if they look and fit similarly. Other than the bore length and width, the material properties also have a substantial effect on the resultant sound. It would be great if you could get some of the mainstream, well regarded ones to measure with as they are widely available and popular points of reference. I'd be willing to make a small donation to support this endeavour of yours :)

As mentioned though, tip bore width will determine if they fit on IEMs based on nozzle diameter

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Crystal IEMs! Of course! There’s a huge gap in the market begging to be filled by an IEM using singing crystals that release your creative energy.

Pretty sure the ancient crystal earpieces oops 'IEMS' @amirm and I had in our crystal radios and electronic sets as kids were Rochelle salt. Used in old microphones and cheap ceramic pickups on record players back in the dark ages.

I too remember unscrewing the ear piece and talking into it, transmitting AM to my little sister's room using a long antenna wire. I guess the kids of today get Arduinos which are a full blown mini computer on a PCB ready to go. Hardly seems fair. :)

respice finem

Major Contributor
Logically, since a sealed ear canal is effectively a pressure chamber, and with a small volume.

MCH

Major Contributor
I've been using the RP-HJE125 (that seems to be the same that this one but without the volume control) for years and I am very happy with it (I was looking mainly for confort as I have delicate ears). At a whooping 6.29eur in Amazon.de could well be the cheapest thing ever tested here???

RHO

Major Contributor
Comfort aside, different tips also play an important role changing certain aspects of frequency response, so it would be very insightful to see some research about this topic in the future.
From experience, tips can sound quite different even if they look and fit similarly. Other than the bore length and width, the material properties also have a substantial effect on the resultant sound. It would be great if you could get some of the mainstream, well regarded ones to measure with as they are widely available and popular points of reference.
@amirm : As these guys already pointed out there can be quite a differnece in sound when swapping tips. So it would be very interesting to see these changes represented in measurements. Maybe pick just one IEM you test in the future (one that performs well without EQ) and do a tip-swapping experiment/review?
If the pits fit is dependent on the nozzle size of the IEMs and the bore size on the tips. But the material on the tips can be quite stretchy so many tips will fit many IEM models.
I would prefer you use the tips supplied with the IEM to do yours standard measurements, because those are the ones anyone buying the product will have on hand. Also, if there are different types of tips supplied with the product it would be interesting to see measurements with those too.

Thank you very much for these reviews!

Maiky76

Talk about breaking all records with EQ!!!

While I have you here, do you need both of the files I export? If it is just one, let me know so I can save the work to create the other.

Just the FR is fine the relative is easily calculated.

Last edited:

Francis Vaughan

Forum Donor
Since iem phones eliminate the pinna what does that do to the head stage? Seems they might be better for binaural recordings.
This is important. The dominant part of the HRTF is the head and torso. So much so that devices like the Jecklin Disc and Schroder Sphere get you quite a long way there already. The pinna seems to be much lower down in the response, and very variable person to person.

So in general the target curve is the head and torso anyway. Etymotic interestingly used to make an IEM specifically intended for binaural, the ER4B, and it simply lacked the HRTF massaging. It is worth remembering that applying the HTRF is something that has to be done to modify what is initially almost always going to be much closer to a flat response.

It is also worth highlighting Sigfried Linkwitz's add on modification of the FR to correct the ear canal resonance intrinsic to IEMs, and in his example directed at the ER4S.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@RHO yes but it's more related to EMI's them self will or will it not there be a change and how big will it be with swapping tips.
For example:
05_Creative_Aurvana_Trio_-_Silicone_Green_Foam_Blue__SpinFit_Red.png

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Yay iem's testing begins. Can't wait to see how weirdly the 8-20 driver units measure.
Thanks for starting with budget ones :D
Iem's don't really work for me , my ear holes just don't wanna play. I also find the seal (when it briefly happens) unpleasant , amplifying self noise to a high degree.

alekksander

iems! thanks chief!

can't wait for the measurements of chi-fi iems like (overreated) tin hifi t2 and it's more expensive competitors.

markanini

Major Contributor
I think the oratory1990/USound target is closer to sounding like speakers in a room than the Harman IE target. Many popular IEMs like Moondrop Starfield and even Harmans own Galaxy Buds Plus measure closer to it than the Harman IE target.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Great review Amir! Have been getting into IEMs lately.
I have been using memory foam tips for best seal. Is this the best way to go?

RHO

Major Contributor
@RHO yes but it's more related to EMI's them self will or will it not there be a change and how big will it be with swapping tips.
For example:
View attachment 126163
Are these your own measurements? I've always wondered if the same tips have the same effects on every IEM or if some IEMs hardly change thier sound with swapping the tips.
So it would be nice to see measurements of different IEMs where you do the same tip-rolling on all.

Foxenfurter

I use IEM's for commuting (well I did pre-pandemic). The background noise on the Central Line in London can reach 105db in some spots and there is no aircon so in summer temps are often over 40 degrees C (100 F). I have got through a lot of them, drivers gave up on one pair, but mostly it is the cables that go, they inevitably get tangled and usually break at either end, so I like to keep costs to under 50 GBP.

Initially I didn't realise the importance of a good seal, and I thought my first pair were tinny and horrible. I tried memory foam but I found that whilst I got a good seal initially, as the foam "remembered" it pushed the phone out of my ear. I eventually found that my right earhole is smaller than my left and have settled different sized silicon tips for each ear.

I am currently using kz zs10 pro, which have replaceable cables - someone here mentioned wavelet as an Android EQ app with preloaded profiles, so I am checking this out - difference is subtle but I prefer EQ on.

phoenixsong

Are these your own measurements? I've always wondered if the same tips have the same effects on every IEM or if some IEMs hardly change thier sound with swapping the tips.
So it would be nice to see measurements of different IEMs where you do the same tip-rolling on all.
It will definitely be IEM dependent due to the different internal chamber design and volume, filters, damping and nozzle characteristics, but from what I know tips generally have their own signature due to their physical and material properties. For example, Spinfit tips have been known to cause uneven treble and an early roll off as a trade off for extreme comfort

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
No I don't do measurements, don't have a gear for it. Solderdude is most relevant/experienced regarding that.
That whose just example of good sounding one's where different tips have little influence (which should also be considered as plus) and those are three most interesting types of tips anyhow.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks Amir. I am glad they were easy to test with results closely matching the research.

I agree this is an important category despite my relationship with IEMs being terrible. I can't get past the discomfort and even if they sounded totally incredible, I still can't do it. I have pulled my Tin T3 out and listened for a couple hours, changed tips, changed insertion depth, and basically I just can't enjoy them regardless of sound, so there really is no use case for me.

Top Bottom