• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Panasonic RP-TCM125 Review (Budget IEM)

Earfonia

Not one guy, go check all the headphone measurement sites out there and see for yourself how aging pads, not even different pads, affect the sound of headphones. You don't even have to listen to find out, how great is that. Start from the Sennheiser HD650

Headphone ear pads (OE) make even greater differences to the sound than IEM ear tips. I met Kennerton founder (from Russia) in CanJam Singapore a few years ago, and he let me try one headphone with multiple different ear pads, I can hear huge differences between ear pads. He said ear pad is part of the headphone (OE) tuning.

That's one of the reason I've stop buying headphones. Every few years ear pads worn out especially in humid environment like in Singapore, and every time I replace it the sound change to some degree.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Headphone ear pads (OE) make even greater differences to the sound than IEM ear tips. I met Kennerton founder (from Russia) in CanJam Singapore a few years ago, and he let me try one headphone with multiple different ear pads, I can hear huge differences between ear pads. He said ear pad is part of the headphone (OE) tuning.

That's one of the reason I've stop buying headphones. Every few years ear pads worn out especially in humid environment like in Singapore, and every time I replace it the sound change to some degree.
True, the climate is really uncomfortable for headphones here. Was shocked when the pads of my K712pro became mouldy after I chucked them in some drawers for a long time

markanini

Major Contributor
Not one guy, go check all the headphone measurement sites out there and see for yourself how aging pads, not even different pads, affect the sound of headphones. You don't even have to listen to find out, how great is that. Start from the Sennheiser HD650
Thanks for proving my point, the HD650 you mentioned sound good out of the box, you don't need to change the pads or wear them in. Going by your logic Amir should measure worn in pads, new pads, and a selection of aftermarket pads in each review. That doesn't make sense. We're also close to giving manufacturers a pass for including suboptimal pads and tips with their products.

phoenixsong

Thanks for proving my point, the HD650 you mentioned sound good out of the box, you don't need to change the pads or wear them in. Going by your logic Amir should measure worn in pads, new pads, and a selection of aftermarket pads in each review. That doesn't make sense. We're also close to giving manufacturers a pass for including suboptimal pads and tips with their products.
Wth? Did I mention one word of "good sound ootb"?

phoenixsong

Also, the sound through tips do not change over time (unless they're foam) as they do for headphones, so I don't know what kind of comparison you're trying to draw here

phoenixsong

And you did NOT read my previous post, I agreed with @Earfonia that Amir need not measure every IEM with different tips. I think it's time for some respect and to stop your baseless, senseless personal attacks. This place isn't a cult, if you like to fan those flames go elsewhere

markanini

Major Contributor
Wth? Did I mention one word of "good sound ootb"?
That's why I said you mentioned a headphone with good OOTB characteristics. EDIT: I don't see why you've taken offense to my honest critique by missundertstanding me multiple times. I'm sure Amir and other ASR members can figure out what's the best protocol for them selves. I just gave my feedback since you raised the topic. Just another opinion in the end of the day so let's treat it that way.

Last edited:

Saidera

I was destined to be an ASR enthusiast since I bought RP-TCM125E-W in 2015 and MDR-ZX110 in 2019. Later I didn't consider them to be IEMs or high quality headphones, until beginning to use them with EQ. Now those cheap overpriced or free earbuds destined for the trash can have a new life.
20210714_114146.jpg
20210714_114235.jpg

phoenixsong

I was destined to be an ASR enthusiast since I bought RP-TCM125E-W in 2015 and MDR-ZX110 in 2019. Later I didn't consider them to be IEMs or high quality headphones, until beginning to use them with EQ. Now those cheap overpriced or free earbuds destined for the trash can have a new life.
View attachment 140977View attachment 140978
I used a few cheap Panasonic IEMs before without EQ, they were alright-ish. The Sony MDR-EX110AP were terrible, EX650AP was better and EX750AP was quite nice without EQ. Never got to listen to their more recent models like those in your picture :)

Saidera

MDR-EX110AP>you mean MDR-ZX110AP?

Saidera

I think EX750AP is quite nice, similar to IER-H500A (h.ear in 2)

Saidera

Saidera

Yes I think they are about the same
The H500A model seems to not have the 'balanced cabling' that EX750 tried out. It's balanced, yet it's a 3.5 mm jack.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I actually have 2 of the ones
View attachment 140977View attachment 140978
I actually have the one on the end and the one in the middle. They are okay, especially considering the price.

phoenixsong

I actually have 2 of the ones

I actually have the one on the end and the one in the middle. They are okay, especially considering the price.
So we have gathered thus far :)
Unfortunately, my experience with their direct predecessor the MDR-EX110AP ultimately made me skip the rest of their offerings and see that line in a bad light. I'm glad to hear they've improved much since then

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I pointed this out a little ways back but just wanted to reiterate that the headphones tested here appear to be the RP-HJE120K. In terms of performance one would hope that they would test the same as the RP-TCM-125, which should be a similar version with an inline microphone and call control, but want to make this distinction in case they don't. Here's what I mean:

Amir's photo:

index.php

RP-HJE120K (clear black):

31YDCcOzDJL._AC_.jpg

RP-TCM-125-K (solid black with grey stripe, inline mic and call control)

619qyGXIDgL._AC_SS450_.jpg

Top Bottom