• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Panasonic DP-UB9000 UHD Player Review

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I almost bought one of these but lack of SACD was a killer. I also read Panasonic did not want to support a competing format, and rumblings about Sony's licensing fees being too high to Panasonic (why would Sony want a competitor?) I vacillated on the Sony X800 but managed to get an Oppo UDP-203 before they announced they were shutting down the BD player division and prices skyrocketed.

Most if not all consumer amps reach max output by 2 Vrms so the lower output was not a big deal to me. Plus I connect with HDMI; can't really tell the difference with my ears of clay. Some suggested the UDP-205 but I am cheap as well as deaf. :)

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No floppy drive either.

I did not know floppy disks were for quite a while the consumer distribution format for multichannel recordings. Can you send me a link to one? I get omitting these formats in a 2 channel disk player. In a multichannel player they are a necessary condition of adequacy.

As for corporate politics, Sony sucked it up and makes players that play DVD-A disks.

StinkyPete

Its too bad it does not have HDMI inputs.
I have an AVR Marantz SR7012 which I think is very noisy. Have the Benchmark AHB2 connected to run the front speakers and its silent as can be with Sabaj D5 (XLR), but when I connect the pre outs from the AVR to the Benchmark I can hear the low hiss in the speakers right away.

Why does there not exist a unit that have a few HDMI inputs with a good dac to decode todays surroundsound formats and stereo, and send out a signal to an external amp over XLR or RCA? I know, I know there are processors but they are way to expensive!
A power amp does not expire like an AVR or processor does! With new sound formats coming every few years.
If someone where to make one they would be rich. I guess the problem is the licencing cost to dolby and dts etc...

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
6 dB higher output means 2x voltage and 4x power.
your statement is true but out of context.

See below which is what I was responding to.
You'd have to use 4x the power from a downstream amp, which could actually lead to more noise than you'd get with the Topping.

gvl

Major Contributor
It has the "Digital Tube Sound" High-Quality sound feature, amazing. It could have been a contender if it supported popular streaming services, as is it has no place in my digital audio pipeline.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

North_Sky

Major Contributor
What a miserable failure of a disk player. If it can’t actually play disks, who cares about how it “performs?”

This disk player clearly needs a headless panther for lacking the basic ability to play disks.

Lol this player was built for home theater enthusiasts; front projectors and OLED Panasonic TVs. Plus audiophile stereo sound, from CDs, and Blu-ray High Fidelity Pure Audio.

If you want universal disc spinners look @ Sony X800M2, Pioneer LX500, or eBay for Oppo 203 and 205.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Did the review mention its weight...17.2 pounds (Canadian pounds).
In kilograms that would be ...

In comparison with the Oppo 203 ...

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No floppy drive either.

Yes, but it has a disc-playing function. The analogy you're looking for is that it plays double density floppies but not high-density ones - which is dumb... which is the point.

@amirm , I hear you RE universal disc mechanisms being slower to load, but Oppo's final drives in the 20x series are remarkably fast loaders. I'm sure there are CD-only players out there that load faster, but I've seen and used plenty of CD players that load discs slower than my Oppo 205.

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
The only place you can snatch this baby now is on eBay ...
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-of-oppo-udp-205-uhd-player.3660/

And it's going to cost you more than the Panasonic 9000, considerably more.

A next universel player to be reviewed by Amir (measurements) would be the Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 region free universal 4K Blu-ray player. ...About $1,400 US.

The Sony X800M2? That one too ... $199 on sale.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Sony X800M2? That one too ... $199 on sale.

Or even the X1100ES which has additional Mch outputs. For all we know, the Sony may match the UB9000.

edit: my mistake. It doesn’t have Mch out

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Most BD players do not have XLR outputs.

Top Bottom