• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Panasonic DP-UB9000 UHD Player Review

Icboschert

Forum Donor
Someone can reach out to @Robert Zohn to buy one and have it drop shipped to @amirm first. Since there is no USB dac, he can only run an abbreviated set of tests.

1) Drive noise when playing UHD discs should be quieter on the UB9000 which matters if the player is in the same room as the audience. Some of it is insulation, some claim it's a different drive
2) Better backlit remote for UB9000
3) Fancier firmware for HDR tone mapping on projectors

Another weakness compared to the Oppo 205 is the lack of SACD disc playback, although it has better-than-Oppo DSD DLNA support.
I will second the drive noise on my UB420. Got a deal on a refurbished unit. Not bothersome enough since the overall film noise levels mask it but I did consider going to a Sony X700. Does yours auto upscale everything to 4K unless you go into the settings each time?

Theriverlethe

Probably because it still gets into the Blue Zone at 2V and beats the Topping D70 @ 4V. Not ideal of course.

Would be interesting to know if a firmware update can increase the voltage to 4V

You'd have to use 4x the power from a downstream amp, which could actually lead to more noise than you'd get with the Topping.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
A suggestion : prehaps put your test tones onto a disk to check the main functionality of this unit. It should be doable with a dvdR. Would be interesting to see if performance is equal to usb.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A very nice unit. The lack of a USB DAC input, though, is a real shame, and mystifying.

And does it really not support SACD or DVD-A?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You'd have to use 4x the power from a downstream amp, which could actually lead to more noise than you'd get with the Topping.

Good point.

A very nice unit. The lack of a USB DAC input, though, is a real shame, and mystifying.

And does it really not support SACD or DVD-A?

No SACD even though it'll do DSD 2ch and Mch via DLNA/USB.
No DVD-A either.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have had a few of the Panasonic players and have liked them a great deal. Had the UB900 (predecessary to the UB9000 I believe). I would like to see the lower models tested as well, like the ub420/820. I have the ub420 in my theater as it does a very nice job on hdr tone mapping on my jvc projector. Would be curious how they test as well. Nice to have a high end “audiophile” unit test well

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
No SACD even though it'll do DSD 2ch and Mch via DLNA/USB.
SACD was created by Panasonic's enemies: Sony and Philips. They want to have nothing to do with that format.

DVD-A though was their making so strange to see that left behind. Then again the reality is that DVD-A has been dead for years and years.

Multi-format drives are slower by the way. There is no ID mechanism to tell the drive which disc is in the drawer. So they go through a trial and error process to read every format and see which one does not fail!

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What does this mean: "4X the power"?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This player earned its fame for its tone mapping capabilities, which are very helpful when displaying HDR content on a display that is incapable of 1000 nit brightness.

And since some HDR discs are encoded at 10,000 nits -- the tone mapping still helps with displays that reach 1500+ nits.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Gain yes ,up to 6dB more which is 2x but not any more power.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What a miserable failure of a disk player. If it can’t actually play disks, who cares about how it “performs?”

This disk player clearly needs a headless panther for lacking the basic ability to play disks.
No floppy drive either.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will second the drive noise on my UB420. Got a deal on a refurbished unit. Not bothersome enough since the overall film noise levels mask it but I did consider going to a Sony X700. Does yours auto upscale everything to 4K unless you go into the settings each time?
I have noticed the drive is a bit noisy as well. Is the 820 any better in this regard?

Theriverlethe

Gain yes ,up to 6dB more which is 2x but not any more power.

You’re right. I guess the final result depends on which gain stage has better performance - the amp or the DAC output. The other possibility is that an amp is limited to 1/4 of its power output, depending on its input sensitivity.

Top Bottom