• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Panasonic DP-UB824 or Sony UBP-X800M2 or ...?

circumstances

I'm going to be 1080p for awhile (television and projector), but I want the audio formats of UHD discs.

Which of these players down res 4K to 1080p the best?

I have a Denon x3700h on the way.

Can it take 4K and output 1080p as an alternative (and would that be the way to go)?

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
I just got a used Panny for $70, the Oppos are too dang expensive. In the future I will probably get another Panasonic flagship type used. I had a good experience with an old one and I've gone through 3 cheap new players recently and they were all glitchy (3 star reviews on Amazon) even the more expensive ones seem to be iffy these days.

OP
LTig

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm going to be 1080p for awhile (television and projector), but I want the audio formats of UHD discs.

Can it take 4K and output 1080p as an alternative (and would that be the way to go)?
My AVP can handle 4K but does not process video at all. My beamer is 2K only. When I played my one and only 4K disk (which I bought together with the Sony) the AVP displayed 1080p in his display, so I think the Sony negotiated the resolution with the beamer, bypassing the AVP. The quality was fine.

North_Sky

Major Contributor

The Panasonic 820. Best for HDR>SDR conversion; more adjust* options than Sony.
* Video Optimizer.

"Even the HDR-to-SDR conversion produces a top-quality image that’s sure to make friends and family jealous. It may not be the most refined build, but Panasonic put all of its efforts into making sure the player projects video worthy of a big-screen television.

It delivers class-leading HDR-to-SDR conversion for users who don’t own a HDR television, or projector owners who do not wish to trigger HDR mode for fear of elevating black floor without noticeable peak luminance benefits. Colour conversion looked properly saturated, blacks were not clipped and there’s no visible posterisation, none of which could be said of OPPO 203’s attempt."

The Sony X800M2 is inferior in that video parameter department, very limited HDR>SDR video conversion option (1 to 5 that's all, and more like only 1 to 3 truly usable).

Of course the Denon can take 4K and output it as 1080p.

* HDMI (Video Out) of the Panasonic 820 directly to your display.
And HDMI (Audio Out) of the Panasonic 820 directly to your Denon receiver.
panasonic_dp-ub820.jpg

Last edited:

circumstances

My AVP can handle 4K but does not process video at all. My beamer is 2K only. When I played my one and only 4K disk (which I bought together with the Sony) the AVP displayed 1080p in his display, so I think the Sony negotiated the resolution with the beamer, bypassing the AVP. The quality was fine.
Thanks!

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Do you ever use subtitles when watching movies? If so, Panasonic is the one to go for. It lets you adjust the luminance of the subtitles. Without that, the sheer brightness of the subtitles will ruin a lot of HDR/DV movies for you.

Good point as the Sony has zero subtl. adjust.

circumstances

The Panasonic 820. Best for HDR>SDR conversion; more adjust* options than Sony.
* Video Optimizer.

"Even the HDR-to-SDR conversion produces a top-quality image that’s sure to make friends and family jealous. It may not be the most refined build, but Panasonic put all of its efforts into making sure the player projects video worthy of a big-screen television.

It delivers class-leading HDR-to-SDR conversion for users who don’t own a HDR television, or projector owners who do not wish to trigger HDR mode for fear of elevating black floor without noticeable peak luminance benefits. Colour conversion looked properly saturated, blacks were not clipped and there’s no visible posterisation, none of which could be said of OPPO 203’s attempt."

The Sony X800M2 is inferior in that video parameter department, very limited video conversion option (1 to 5 that's all, and more like only 1 to 3).

Of course the Denon can take 4K and output it as 1080p.

* HDMI (Video Out) of the Panasonic 820 directly to your display.
And HDMI (Audio Out) of the Panasonic 820 directly to your Denon receiver.
panasonic_dp-ub820.jpg
Thanks!

Is there any difference in that department between the Panny 420 and 820? (If I'm not concerned about Dolby Vision or analog outs).

"Of course the Denon can take 4K and output it as 1080p."

But your advice is to let the 820 (or 420) do it anyway, correct?

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Thanks!

Is there any difference in that department between the Panny 420 and 820? (If I'm not concerned about Dolby Vision or analog outs).

"Of course the Denon can take 4K and output it as 1080p."

But your advice is to let the 820 (or 420) do it anyway, correct?

The 420 and 820 ... same video quality.

You asked what's best connection: Using both HDMI ports of the Panasonic, as I said.
You sure can use only one (Video/Audio) to your receiver, and then from your receiver to your display. Either way you are still using two HDMI cables, and the option I suggested is IMO the best as it has less chance of HDMI handshake issue, plus you keep the audio and video signal transfer separate. My own opinion that's all.

Last edited:

circumstances

The 420 and 820 ... same video quality.

You asked what's best connection: Using both HDMI ports of the Panasonic, as I said.
You did.

And I'm glad you said that.

I would have tried to plug the Panasonic hdmi into the 3700 and tried to get it to pass the video signal through to my displays untouched.

circumstances

In this hobby we learn best from experimenting. And we pass it along...the music/film passion. :):cool:
So true.

I'm looking at the back panel of the 420 and 820 and they have 1 HDMI audio out and 1 HDMI video out.

What the heck is that all about?

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I just said it above, plus providing a photo.
Video out (HDMI) goes directly to your TV or front projector (you even get sound from the TV speakers).
The other one (HDMI Audio out) goes directly to your AV receiver or SSP.
Voilà! ...

circumstances

I just said it above, plus providing a photo.
Video out (HDMI) goes directly to your TV or front projector (you even get sound from the TV speakers).
The other one (HDMI Audio out) goes directly to your AV receiver or SSP.
Voilà! ...

I know! I paid attention :)
'
I was asking in what way do the two HDMI outs differ?

I've never seen separate audio and video HDMI outs before!

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Ah, one HDMI output carries only the audio signal. ...Good for say CD/SACD music, without the need of a display. It gives an audiophile touch. For a player like say the Panasonic 9000 and/or the Oppo 205, that's very nice.
* Both players reviewed here @ ASR.

circumstances

Ah, one HDMI output carries only the audio signal. ...Good for say CD/SACD music, without the need of a display. It gives an audiophile touch. For a player like say the Panasonic 9000 and/or the Oppo 205, that's very nice.
* Both players reviewed here @ ASR.
I have a tv and a projector.

right now I am running my cable box, firetv box, and blu ray player to an HDMI matrix to both displays.

I was hoping i could plug my cable box, firetv box, and 820/420 (replacing the blu ray player) all to the denon 3700, then out to my displays (getting rid of the need for the HDMI matrix).

Based on your advice, and the fact that the 820/420 only has one audio/video HDMI out, it looks like i will still need to use the HDMI matrix :(

If I ran the audio/video HDMI out on the 820/420 to the 3700 (as I mentioned I would have just done ignorantly in an earlier post), there is no way to just allow the video signal coming in from the 820/420 to pass through to the display(s) completely untouched?

North_Sky

Major Contributor
No, you can plug everything into the 3700 and output them to your two displays.
What I mentioned is simply another option, that's all. ...The Panasonic and the Sony 4K players both sport two HDMI outputs for more connectivity in various setups.

Use the HDMI Video out (Video/audio) of the Panasonic to your Denon receiver.
You'll get both video and audio. Just forget the other HDMI audio out (you don't need it).
You're all set man.

The Denon 3700 will pass the video signal untouched to both your displays.
And when playing a DVD your displays will upconvert to their native resolution...1080p.
Blu-ray 1080p perfect.
4K Blu-ray HDR > SDR done by the Panasonic 820 player.

You are flying above the sky, everything in your world is okidookie. :)

Last edited:

circumstances

No, you can plug everything into the 3700 and output them to your two displays.
What I mentioned is simply another option, that's all. ...The Panasonic and the Sony 4K players both sport two HDMI outputs for more connectivity in various setups.

Use the HDMI Video out (Video/audio) of the Panasonic to your Denon receiver.
You'll get both video and audio. Just forget the other HDMI audio out (you don't need it).
You're all set man.

The Denon 3700 will pass the video signal untouched to both your displays.
And when playing a DVD your displays will upconvert to their native resolution...1080p.
Blu-ray 1080p perfect.
4K Blu-ray HDR > SDR done by the Panasonic 820 player.

You are flying above the sky, everything in your world is okidookie. :)

Coolio.

I was hoping you would say that.

Now I just need to figure out how to do all these things when it arrives tomorrow!

Top Bottom