• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Player Review

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The key differentiator here is that with multi channel analog outputs, you may not need an external processor. Is the Dolby/DTS license shooting up the price? Or is it just Panasonic saying they saved you some money on a pre-pro and they want some of it?

It never ceases to amaze me how manufacturers can get away with not meeting their specs.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
The 420 doesn't have Dolby Vision. That's a deal-breaker for me.

Oh. Is Dolby Vision truly required? Big difference over HDR10? ...Can you see it?
And, do front projectors support Dolby Vision?

North_Sky

Major Contributor
The key differentiator here is that with multi channel analog outputs, you may not need an external processor. Is the Dolby/DTS license shooting up the price? Or is it just Panasonic saying they saved you some money on a pre-pro and they want some of it?

It never ceases to amaze me how manufacturers can get away with not meeting their specs.

Today, players in that price range should skip multichannel analog outputs.
They are not needed anymore. Put the $$$ in the video processor and a metal chassis.
The 820 has the former. And forget the remote control, get another one.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Dolby Vision would be only for TVs that support it, and no front projectors need to apply.

martijn86

DV and HDR10+ have what's called "dynamic tone mapping." That means that the tone mapping can change from scene to scene to best represent the dynamic range of each scene. Regular HDR10 uses "static tone mapping". That's a single mapping that applies to the entire movie as a whole.
I feel that "Dynamic" in video content has become a dirty word after dynamic contrast and the likes represents post processing that visually alters the content to stand out in the store. Instead I'd mention that HDR10+ uses metadata with a reference luminous output. Instead of a pixel being 60% of peak brightness (which would vary on every display), it can be 600 lumens on every display.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Dolby Vision would be only for TVs that support it, and no front projectors need to apply.

Because projectors have poor peak brightness compared to TVs. There are ways of 'converting' TVs and projectors to Dolby Vision though even if they don't officially support it.

Vincent Teoh of HDTVTest is great. Here's his excellent explanation (starting at 1:49) of Panasonic's 'HDR Optimiser' tone mapping function (I do watch his videos on 2x speed though...):

That and Dolby Vision support are what makes this UB820 player worth the extra dough. Oh and if you thought audiophile analogies were ridiculous, wait for Vincent's analogy at the end of that video (tongue in cheek as always of course).

JBH129

While front projectors dont currently support DV, you can use a HDFURY device to trick a source (like ATV4K) to use LLDV (also known as player led DV). In this scenario, the ATV4K would tone map the movie for your projector (which would also apply its own tone mapping). It’s not as good as madvr or a Lumagen processor, but its generally better than anything else at $400.

elmura

I own this player and for those who misunderstand it's purpose and benefits, let me explain:

1. It's primary benefit is its video processing features. Plus support for Dolby Vision, HDR10+
2. Second benefit: dual HDMI benefits when you have either a projector; or if you have an AV preamp/processor/AVR that does not support 4K HDR/DolbyVision. Send one HDMI to the processor/AVR, the other to the TV or projector
3. The multichannel analogue outputs benefited me for over a year whilst I didn't have an AV preamp/processor that could handle Dolby TrueHD / DTS HD Master Audio. I fed my outdated processor from the analogue outputs of this player
4. For superior sound quality for music, I found using the digital output of the Pana player to a high quality DAC (Matrix X-Sabre) produces awesome sound quality.
5. Integrated Netflix, Youtube etc is great with a dedicated remote button. Also good for smartphone screen share, casting from PC and DLNA.

How it sucks:
1. Plasticky. Light. And easily scratched.
2. Remote is a pain. With no backlight and cramped button placement, it's easy to press the wrong button. And when you just want to pause, or choose an option but land in Netflix whilst watching a BluRay... Very frustrating. Especially coz there's a delay switching between these modes
3. Analogue out quality is a bit harsh sounding, hence why I'm in the middle of upgrading my AV preamp.
4. No Spotify or Deezer. Very limited apps

Sagnet

I own this player and for those who misunderstand it's purpose and benefits, let me explain:

1. It's primary benefit is its video processing features. Plus support for Dolby Vision, HDR10+
2. Second benefit: dual HDMI benefits when you have either a projector; or if you have an AV preamp/processor/AVR that does not support 4K HDR/DolbyVision. Send one HDMI to the processor/AVR, the other to the TV or projector
3. The multichannel analogue outputs benefited me for over a year whilst I didn't have an AV preamp/processor that could handle Dolby TrueHD / DTS HD Master Audio. I fed my outdated processor from the analogue outputs of this player
4. For superior sound quality for music, I found using the digital output of the Pana player to a high quality DAC (Matrix X-Sabre) produces awesome sound quality.
5. Integrated Netflix, Youtube etc is great with a dedicated remote button. Also good for smartphone screen share, casting from PC and DLNA.
You forgot the most important feature of this player, that you won't find on other brands:

0. On this player, you can change (lower) the luminosity of the subtitles. If you watch HDR/DolbyVision movies with subtitles at the default luminosity, it will totally ruin the picture, especially in darker scenes. LG, Sony and other brands won't let you do this, so this Panasonic player is the one to go for, for this reason alone.

elmura

you can change (lower) the luminosity of the subtitles. If you watch HDR/DolbyVision movies with subtitles at the default luminosity, it will totally ruin the picture, especially in darker scenes.
I don't recall that setting. Where is this feature?

Sagnet

I don't recall that setting. Where is this feature?
You press Option and then select Subtitle Settings. It has to be done individually for each disc you're playing. It doesn't remember this setting between viewing sessions (unfortunately).

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I agree that it's expensive for what it is. But I'm not so convince why, we should expect better performance from the analog outs than "what you may get in your AVR being fed over HDMI". After all the main purpose of this is to be a BluRay Player, where an AVR main purpose, if you strip it down to it's most basic concept, is to be a Multi-Channel DAC. I don't know so many people that would purchase a Blu Ray player for the Dac that's in it? And the vast majority of people will connect tis to an AVR using HDMI, not analog? No?
No. It's why I own an OPPO, which sold for $50 more than this player. @amirm never tested the 203, it's big brother, the 205, hit 115 dB on SINAD tests. According to Audioholics, the S/N ratio for the 205 was >120 dB and the S/N ration for the 203 was >112. It's not a direct correlation (SINAD to S/N), but I would expect a SINAD of >105 for the 203.

Of course USED OPPO 203's are selling for $800+ on eBay and this review may push them over $1,000.

mikem

About that high 2nd harmonic distortion... Some Panasonic players have a "Digital Tube Sound" in Sound Settings. That wasn't accidentally turned on? I would think that might increase the 2nd harmonic distortion.
From the DP-UB820 manual:
Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 8.05.14 AM.png

Dmitri

Forum Donor
^ Well there you go... now you can bask in the rich sounds of digitized tube audio. Why deal with all the expense and reliability problems of the real thing when you can get your subpar audio digitally? Not only that...”tube rolling” is as easy as pushing a button on your remote. Clearly Tube Sound 3 is representative of Tung Sol, while Tube Sound 6 has more of a Mullard presentation.

I’ve died and gone to heaven.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
You forgot the most important feature of this player, that you won't find on other brands:

0. On this player, you can change (lower) the luminosity of the subtitles. If you watch HDR/DolbyVision movies with subtitles at the default luminosity, it will totally ruin the picture, especially in darker scenes. LG, Sony and other brands won't let you do this, so this Panasonic player is the one to go for, for this reason alone.

How many movies on average per year do you watch with subtitles?
...And with great care in their picture cinematography @ that.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Is this available on the 420 or just the 820?

Top Bottom