• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Player Review

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rockman2

Help please. Not sure if I am getting 4K. Doesn't seem like it. On screen shows Blue ray and when the DVD starts it shows Dolby vision at the top by its self. I have set the player to 4K and also to auto. I have hooke the DVD direct to the TV and through the AVR same result. I have also used different HDMI cables.

Attachments

• IMG_3260.jpg
    IMG_3260.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 88

sailor2005

Help please. Not sure if I am getting 4K. Doesn't seem like it. On screen shows Blue ray and when the DVD starts it shows Dolby vision at the top by its self. I have set the player to 4K and also to auto. I have hooke the DVD direct to the TV and through the AVR same result. I have also used different HDMI cables.
You ARE getting 4k and Dolby Vision. What is reported on the status bar is what is being displayed. If it was not 4k it would show something else. Check your TV settings if what you see does not look like 4k even when it is. It also depends on the contents you are trying to watch.

Rockman2

You ARE getting 4k and Dolby Vision. What is reported on the status bar is what is being displayed. If it was not 4k it would show something else. Check your TV settings if what you see does not look like 4k even when it is. It also depends on the contents you are trying to watch.
It shows Blue Ray, this is a 4k disc. I have put other 4K discs and it still shows Blue ray not 4K

sailor2005

It shows Blue Ray, this is a 4k disc. I have put other 4K discs and it still shows Blue ray not 4K
The screenshot you posted clearly shows 3 important things: Dolby Vision, Ultra HD Blu ray and 4k. So, what else do you expect the player to do to tell you it is playing 4k content? There is a button on the remote called Playback Info, it will tell you what it is getting from the disc and what is being passed to the TV. Other than that, read the instructions.

Rockman2

The screenshot you posted clearly shows 3 important things: Dolby Vision, Ultra HD Blu ray and 4k. So, what else do you expect the player to do to tell you it is playing 4k content? There is a button on the remote called Playback Info, it will tell you what it is getting from the disc and what is being passed to the TV. Other than that, read the instructions.
This image is with a blue ray in. It still shows 4k but it is not highlighted. Don't believe a Blue Ray will send a 4K image. This is why I was confused. I thought 4K needs to be highlighted.

Attachments

• IMG_3307.jpg
    IMG_3307.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 46

sailor2005

This image is with a blue ray in. It still shows 4k but it is not highlighted. Don't believe a Blue Ray will send a 4K image. This is why I was confused. I thought 4K needs to be highlighted.
Ok, this is what is supposed to show when it is playing a regular blu ray WITH the upscaling option. The former screenshot was a proper status for a 4k UHD disc with Dolby Vision. Use the Playback Info button, it will give WAY more information and clarify things for you, But as I said earlier, please check the instructions. From the little info shown on your screenshots it looks like it is working as it should. May I ask brand/model of your TV?

Last edited:

Rockman2

Ok, this is what is supposed to show when it is playing a regular blu ray WITH the upscaling option. The former screenshot was a proper status for a 4k UHD disc with Dolby Vision. Use the Playback Info button, it will give WAY more information and clarify things for you, But as I said earlier, please check the instructions. From the little info shown on your screenshots it looks like it is working as it should. May I ask brand/model of your TV?
83" LG OLED C2 I have looked at the Manual that I down loaded but was confused. Also trying to get all setting working on the new Denon 4800H. The 820 manual claims a better sound running the sound HDMI to the AVR and then running the other HDMI direct to the TV. Think I will try this and see if I get better sound. I am running 7.2.4.

sailor2005

83" LG OLED C2 I have looked at the Manual that I down loaded but was confused. Also trying to get all setting working on the new Denon 4800H. The 820 manual claims a better sound running the sound HDMI to the AVR and then running the other HDMI direct to the TV. Think I will try this and see if I get better sound. I am running 7.2.4.
If you find the manual confusing (it is for the important stuff), check videos on Youtube. There are LOTS related to the 820/9000 and many of them explain the setup process and what the settings are for.

Top Bottom