• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pairing an RME ADI-2 DAC FS w/ separate HP Amp

Subroc

Hi ASR Forums! I’m interested in the RME ADI-2 DAC FS and was thinking of purchasing the unit with the hope that in the future if I were to get a pair of headphones which required required additional output beyond what the ADI-2 DAC FS can provide single ended (which I believe is 1.5w @ 32 ohms), I could simply add a separate balanced headphone amps (such as the Monolith THX 887). However, I stumbled across an old post from 2019 and there was a reply within which stated that paring the ADI-2 with a separate external headphone amp would add nothing (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-thx-789-887-open-to-other-suggestions.11913/).

I guess my question boils down to: Would there be any benefit from pairing the RME ADI-2 DAC FS with a separate balanced headphone amp especially when it comes to powering certain harder to drive headphones?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
With mine, I've not discovered a need for more power despite using 300+ ohm headphones and planars.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
With mine, I've not discovered a need for more power despite using 300+ ohm headphones and planars.

Interestingly, I did max mine out. But I think it was a current issue- I had the RME HP out powering Ether CX with EQ and pre amp reduction of about 5dB but I had set it up to also output from the rear XLR simultaneously. Everytime the unit clicked into a higher gain mode on the auto ref , the Ethers dropped again in output until I could turn no further. Ive never lacked output even with the Ether when just the HP out is selected.

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Assuming price isn’t a problem, the Benchmark HPA4 seems untouchable for performance.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Interestingly, I did max mine out. But I think it was a current issue- I had the RME HP out powering Ether CX with EQ and pre amp reduction of about 5dB but I had set it up to also output from the rear XLR simultaneously. Everytime the unit clicked into a higher gain mode on the auto ref , the Ethers dropped again in output until I could turn no further. Ive never lacked output even with the Ether when just the HP out is selected.
Interesting. I think the all outputs do use the same circuit, so it makes sense. I alternate main outs or headphones, and only had the Aeon 2 for a while before returning it. Definitely the hardest to drive headphone I've used so far.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. I think the all outputs do use the same circuit, so it makes sense. I alternate main outs or headphones, and only had the Aeon 2 for a while before returning it. Definitely the hardest to drive headphone I've used so far.

Yup, I usually alternate too, but wanted to do some very quick swaps on 2 sets of headphones so had it set to output both. The ethers normally with eq etc run between about - 10 and - 20. Think my new aeon RT might actually need a bit more.

EDIT- just plugged the Aeon RT (-3db of preamp) into the RME and at this moment, before a few beers and late night listening, -15 dB on the RME is too loud. -20 is good for now.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi ASR Forums! I’m interested in the RME ADI-2 DAC FS and was thinking of purchasing the unit with the hope that in the future if I were to get a pair of headphones which required required additional output beyond what the ADI-2 DAC FS can provide single ended (which I believe is 1.5w @ 32 ohms), I could simply add a separate balanced headphone amps (such as the Monolith THX 887). However, I stumbled across an old post from 2019 and there was a reply within which stated that paring the ADI-2 with a separate external headphone amp would add nothing (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-thx-789-887-open-to-other-suggestions.11913/).

I guess my question boils down to: Would there be any benefit from pairing the RME ADI-2 DAC FS with a separate balanced headphone amp especially when it comes to powering certain harder to drive headphones?

I already had a THX 789 and have connected the RME to it via the XLR. I dont think i would buy one if I had the RME first. With the exception I detailed above, I have never maxed the RME with a wide range of dynamics and planars.

I believe @amirm is currently reviewing the legendarily hard to drive Hifiman HE-6 and I hope he sees how the RME handles them. I suspect they might max it with Amir's love of the basssssssssss

Top Bottom