• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pairing a different AMP/DAC brand?

Vix

Hello,
I'm new to the AMP/DAC area so I'm curious if I should pair the Zen Can amplifier with the Topping E30 DAC since it comes cheaper and doesn't have MQA, plus it has a cleaner and linear sound signature according to reviews, my concern is: would the E30 affect the Zen Can's signature in a bad way or would the linear signal from the E30 help produce a more accurate sound?

My idea is using the Zen Can's signature for my HE400i 2020 cans, considering the Zen Dac comes a bit higher priced than the Topping E30 when I calculate all the EU taxes and import with MQA support and an additional amp which I don't need at all nor do I intend to use it.

Last edited:

threni

Major Contributor
Hello,
I'm new to the AMP/DAC area so I'm curious if I should pair the Zen Can amplifier with the Topping E30 DAC since it comes cheaper and doesn't have MQA, plus it has a cleaner and linear sound signature according to reviews, my concern is: would the E30 affect the Zen Can's signature in a bad way or would the linear signal from the E30 help produce a more accurate sound?

My idea is using the Zen Can's signature for my HE400i 2020 cans, considering the Zen Dac comes a bit higher priced than the Topping E30 when I calculate all the EU taxes and import with MQA support and an additional amp which I don't need at all nor do I intend to use it.

What is it about the amp's "signature" that you like? This site is really all about having as neutral a system as possible until you reach the headphones/speakers. It's not "will the E30 affect the amp's signature" but more "will the amp mess up the E30's complete lack of signature". Your headphones are low impedance and therefore not very demanding so you have a lot of choice of amp and this one got something of a meh review on this site; better/cheaper ones are available. It's not terrible though.

OP
Vix

Vix

What is it about the amp's "signature" that you like? This site is really all about having as neutral a system as possible until you reach the headphones/speakers. It's not "will the E30 affect the amp's signature" but more "will the amp mess up the E30's complete lack of signature". Your headphones are low impedance and therefore not very demanding so you have a lot of choice of amp and this one got something of a meh review on this site; better/cheaper ones are available. It's not terrible though.
hah, I wasn't quite fond the way the L30 + E30 would sound together so I wanted something like the Zen Can which is almost intended to run with my headphones, since it has the xbass + 3D button to boost the lows.

JSmith

Master Contributor
sound signature
If a product has a baked in "sound"... feeding it with a transparent DAC won't affect that. My suggestion would be to replace the product with a "sound signature" also with something transparent. My suggestion to you is stop reading subjective reviews... you're now in the right place.

JSmith

threni

Major Contributor
hah, I wasn't quite fond the way the L30 + E30 would sound together so I wanted something like the Zen Can which is almost intended to run with my headphones, since it has the xbass + 3D button to boost the lows.

Consider applying EQ at source (on your pc/phone/whatever you're playing the music from) or via some intermediate device (Schiit Loki, for example). That way you can add - or not - seasoning as the music/your taste requires it. There's nothing worse than going for a meal and every dish has too much salt. You see, a hifi is like a car.. (that's enough metaphors - ed.).

Mardel

Hi!

My dilemma was same.
But my choose was Ifi Zen One Signature DAC + Topping L30 AMP.
And I ordered Hifiman HE400SE Headphone but I have many more (AKG K240 MK II, Marshall Monitor, Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ω, DT 990 Edition 250 Ω, Audio-Technica M30x, M50xBT, Superlux HD668B, Sennheiser HD555 modded to 595 it was my first and last Sennheiser i didnt like that the cheap plastic cracks easily after 1years of usage and the HP was never dropped to the ground from desk.).

Last edited:
Top Bottom