• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pair of subs for JBL 708P?

jumper

I've received a pair of 708P, perfectly thrilled with them. I've got a very large room but listening to them in a midfield (with desk) configuration. Speakers are on stands 7' apart, desk is 4'-4" wide with an open base like a table (no drawers, skirting, etc) and positioned between the speakers. I listen casually from my desk and can move my chair back to a more ideal 7' distance from the speakers when I can give my undivided attention to listening.

My plan was always to add a sub or pair of subs (or single). I've narrowed down to a pair of Rythmik F12 for $2,121 (Texas) or I don't mind upping the budget to $2,550 for a pair of PSA S1512. The subs will be close to the speakers (perhaps in between) so listening distance to them should be between 5'-7' unobstructed. Despite being in a large room I would consider this close proximity to the subs as compared to standard so hard to determine which size for 100% music usage. I like the slightly smaller form factory of the 12" F12 as it will reduce the cluttered feel around my desk. However the S1512 aren't that much bigger and I'm attracted to their use of the 15" B&C driver and ICE amplification (seems great for my all music application).

I'm using a miniDSP SHD Studio so I'll have room correction. Could I please have some thoughts, comments, recommendations to help me decide which route to go with the subs? Thanks.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I built two subs on Bill Fitz Maurice' "Tuba HT" design.

If you can output your data on AES, you can keep a digital signal right up to the amps using the MiniDSP plate amps.

OP
J

jumper

The F12's are awfully good subs. Not really cheap, but worth their cost imo. Plenty of adjustments on them.

I agree - but I'm really intrigued by PSA's use of the B&C drivers and ICE amplification, I've read comparisons with the servo controlled Rythmiks and its been noted that there is a difference - particularly in the mid bass.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are worried about clutter, you could consider the Rythmik FM8s. I use them as subs and stands for my 708Ps.

Top Bottom