• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Painting/wrapping SVS PB1000 pro to match KEF R series?

Nootmuskaatje

Hello! I'm looking to modify my SVS subwoofer to match the interior of our new home and speakers. I used to have a KEF Q150/Q650c 5.1 set, but my partner hates those big black blobs. We're going to live together, which means compromising. So I'll be going in-wall for the surrounds, they matter the least. I showed her the kef R series in walnut just for shit and giggles, but she loved the way they look (as far as she could love speakers, she still thinks they're all ugly boxes). So I'll be selling my Q150s/Q650c and just bought a set of R3s and the R2c heavily discounted at respectively €599,-/piece and €699,- (R2c). The price tag did hurt her a little, but now we have something that will look epic with our planned light gray/brown/walnut interior.

Now even I don't like the way my much loved subwoofer looks. I thought about either spray painting it or vinyl wrapping it with the same colour wood. I think wrapping it would be the best option. But how about colouring the grille? Would it be possible to do something about that? I'd love to go with the colour theme of brown and copper, painting the grille to a shiny copper. I however have no clue whatsoever if it works, what kind of paint I'd need, what kind of material the grille is and if it will hurt the acoustic transparent character. I can find enough info for the cabinet, but I can't find much info about painting grilles.

I'd love to hear your input in how to get my sub to match the kef R series.

Willem

Major Contributor
Matching rarely works out well. Why not paint it light grey? The RAL light grey is a bit dull but since you seem to be Dutch the Brinck Molyn light grey is just that bit nicer. I can look up the colour number if you are interested.

OP
N

Nootmuskaatje

Matching rarely works out well. Why not paint it light grey? The RAL light grey is a bit dull but since you seem to be Dutch the Brinck Molyn light grey is just that bit nicer. I can look up the colour number if you are interested.
That sounds good as well! Light grey would match with the couch and some other furniture. We'll have to see which fabric we're getting on the couch and maybe match with that.

How about painting the grille as well?

D

Deleted member 48726

Think of the re-sale value before painting stuff. I have never seen a home painted appliance that was pretty or looked original.
IF you can't find another sub that matches the mrs. tolerance I would only see the alternative as to take the sub to a car paint shop to have it done professionally.

OP
N

Nootmuskaatje

Think of the re-sale value before painting stuff. I have never seen a home painted appliance that was pretty or looked original.
IF you can't find another sub that matches the mrs. tolerance I would only see the alternative as to take the sub to a car paint shop to have it done professionally.
I won't sell my pb1000 pro, it's an extremely capable subwoofer that I'll keep until it dies. I wouldn't permanently change something which might be sold in the future.

It doesn't match my own tolerance now either, mrs didn't mind just the subwoofer in black. She was happy enough that all the speakers at the front went walnut with copper. I'll be veneer wrapping it, definitely done by a professional as well. Not sure yet if I'm going to go walnut as well or a different matching wood.

D

Deleted member 48726

I won't sell my pb1000 pro, it's an extremely capable subwoofer that I'll keep until it dies. I wouldn't permanently change something which might be sold in the future.

It doesn't match my own tolerance now either, mrs didn't mind just the subwoofer in black. She was happy enough that all the speakers at the front went walnut with copper. I'll be veneer wrapping it, definitely done by a professional as well. Not sure yet if I'm going to go walnut as well or a different matching wood.
Okay. Wrapping it seems like a good idea. Gives the most "original" looking finish (if done right).

soerenssen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm planning to get a pair of SVS SB2000 subs, but like you I also prefer white to match with the rest of system.
Wrapping would be one option, but are there any good alternatives in white color from other manufacturers? (more music, less HT)

D

Deleted member 48726

Arendal makes quality subwoofers. Also in white.

Pablo27

The only way to get a good match painting would be to send them to a paint shop. Pricey but would be a perfect match.

You could wrap all speakers the same colour it's actually a pretty cool effect and will preserve the natural finish underneath..

hex168

You can't rap or paint a grill, air has to move through it freely. Use fabric you can easily blow through. Scotch 77 spray adhesive and staples are your friends. Try an upholsterer if you can't re-cover it yourself.

An interesting alternative might be to upholster the sides of the sub to match or contrast your furniture.

robwpdx

The subwoofer has zero high frequency content. So any fabric that air can move through will be acoustically transparent. It should be easy to remove the old fabric from the grille frame and fabric with some stretch will go around the rounded corners.

It would be simple to cover the sides and back with any fabric of any pattern using spray adhesive as @hex168 suggests. You could give your spouse complete ownership and authority for that project to get them engaged, accompany them to the fabric store or not, and maybe they should select some breaking in movie or music content too.

It becomes a joint project.

Top Bottom