• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PA Speaker speaker for home use

herculepirate

Has anyone tried using a small PA speaker for music
Thinking of play over Spotify or Squeezelite

I understand that they are meant for ear bleeding levels.
I am looking for an Active speaker that replaces my old SONOS play 5. More power though.

PA speaker with DSP. Any suggestions.

fineMen

Major Contributor
Due to high demand on SPL (sound pressure level) these p/a devices are designed to be restricted in the bass response. Without an appropriate filter they would sound just bad.
And it goes on, because the focus is different--as You said. High distortion might be considered tolerable even at low levels. Because there is no low level ;-) Speakers of any kind would, driven that hard, distort anyway.
A focus point You didn't mention is reliability. All such additional features You would pay, but not use.

Last edited:

Geert

Major Contributor
I am looking for an Active speaker that replaces my old SONOS play 5. More power though.
Why a PA speaker and not a (entry level) studio monitor? I have a truck full of PA speakers. I wouldn't use any of them at home, unless I wanted to throw a party.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Has anyone tried using a small PA speaker for music
Thinking of play over Spotify or Squeezelite

I understand that they are meant for ear bleeding levels.

PA speaker with DSP. Any suggestions.

How small and how loud? Self-powered? Connectivity? Is bluetooth a requirement? Some small PAs will still require external amplification and processing so they may not really be as portable as one envisions.

OP
H

herculepirate

That’s an excellent suggestion
Studio monitor
Is there one with digital inputs and DSP. Fairly loud (room filling and Louder than a Sonos play5 surely)

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
That’s an excellent suggestion
Studio monitor
Is there one with digital inputs and DSP. Fairly loud (room filling and Louder than a Sonos play5 surely)

Digital input and DSP, yes. But not the same kind of connectivity as the Sonos — internet connection and streaming.

*Actually, if you consider the Edifier S3000pro as studio monitors, then that should be a good modestly priced alternative.

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
The more I look, the more I find bookshelf monitors that have some kind of ability to stream — often via a phone. Do a search online… some options are more expensive than others — e.g. Kef and devialet phantoms.

Top Bottom