• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PA/Karaoke speakers for home use.

jst

Are PA/karaoke speakers good to use at home ?
These speakers have high sensitivity (90db+) and high wattage (450watt for 10" and 600-800watt for 12-15)

I wonder if Aiyima A07 will be enough to drive such speakers since even if they're rated high watt but the Nominal input can be as low as 50 watt, and since they're high sensitivity then low wattage shld be loud enough.

Does anyone here use PA speakers at home, if you do which one ?

Seems like most ppl here in Indonesia use it for SPL, pair it with high wattage amp.

Here is an example of someone using it at home and love it a lot. Sound demo is at around minute 7.

Here are some speakers with sound demo that really pique my interest
sound demo at around 2:44

sound demo at around 6:20 90db

Behringer, bass kinda lacking low freq, speaker is at 80hz

This one is 96db according to spec. 10 inch karaoke speakers.

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I have a pair of Klipsch KP110B mini PA type speakers here. They are loud and easy to drive but they are bright and don't sound very good. That is the theme I expect you will find. If you want loud with a flea powered amp, they are hard to beat. They are also physically tough. If you want great sound, pull up the chart that shows price versus preference rating and use that instead. Amir measured a JBL PA speaker. It was super disapointing. I have been intrigued by the JBL professional theater speakers, but didn't offer one to test because it looked like it was probably a pre Harman design. Also, very low WAF on all this stuff is an issue for many. These speakers are often very big, and made without much regard for aesthetics.

Reactions: jst
OP
jst

jst

If you want great sound, pull up the chart that shows price versus preference rating and use that instead.
Are you refering to an actual chart or does that mean I have to do my own research for that ? If there's a chart plz tell where is it. thx.

kipman725

The speakers you have posted as an example are the lowest quality PA/karaoke speakers having heard a few of them I can say they are truly awful. Higher quality PA speakers however sound great. There are a few caveats though; the frequency response is typicaly less linear than the best hi-fi or monitoring speakers and the bass typicaly rolls off earlier. These are comprimises made to increase efficiency; cone mass is minimised reducing damping and the expectation is that the speaker will be used with subs and so fundimental tuning of the bass driver is high. However there are many plus points; the speaker is capable of 'live' SPL and usualy a constant directivity design.

As an example of a high quality PA speaker check out the SH-50:
The frequency response is quite bumpy but you can see from the normalised directivity plots that if this is equalised then due to its constant directivity it will be linear within its pattern. You can also see that it exhibits low dynamic compression above 100Hz.

High quality comercial PA speakers are very expensive but you can always build your own; I use PA speakers of my own design at home:

Flaesh

1634513109110.png

(not mine)

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've used PA speakers in the past, and there's no reason why good PA speakers shouldn't sound good in a home environment if selected appropriately. The same issues apply, however: flat anechoic on-axis response, lack of resonances, and wide, smooth directivity. PA speakers are built with different objectives and different priorities. For live-sound venues, they are intended to make the live sound loud, and so efficiency is important. Venues often are large and have very different resonances than do homes, and also problems with echo, and so are often designed with controlled and even narrow directivity to point the sound to the listener more directly and to the reflective surfaces less directly. They are also designed for huge dynamics, because they are intended to be a source sound and not a playback sound. In short, you can't make the claim that commercial speakers are better or worse than home speakers, because that distinction is less relevant than the other characteristics that make a speaker well-suited to the room and source or not.

Rick "who once hooked up at home A7's, Altec mid-range horns, and piezo tweeters that sounded great on stage, and found them boomy, uneven, and noticeably low-fi when playing recordings, even compared to Advents" Denney

Reactions: jst
Top Bottom