• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

P452 and Sointuva from March Audio

groovybassist

Forum Donor
Alan sent me a picture of one of the completed speakers yesterday which I can share so far. I'll post again when I have them here and my subjective impressions.

View attachment 148450
Not to be a wet blanket, but I hope they’re going to fix the routing error on the right side of the woofer driver cutout.

Mutsu

I just got a P502 from @ob1 and a Boss 2 streamer from Allo(which I absolutely love. It actually works at it's price point! which is just ridiculous considering how much of pain getting a spotify endpoint to work!

That's great!

I used to think that the more expensive an audio product is, the more likely it is that it will sound better. With the A/B dac/amp I mentioned in a previous post, I pitted the dac section against a $20 topping product that's about the size of a matchbox (baring in mind the A/B dac/amp I think retailed for around $3,000). The AB test results showed that I couldn't tell any difference that was statistically significant though.

Mutsu

Not to be a wet blanket, but I hope they’re going to fix the routing error on the right side of the woofer driver cutout.

Are you talking about the small darker colored patch to the right side of the woofer? If so this is a natural discoloration in the wood grain. See below the cabinets as they came back from the carpenter.

20210804_143207.jpg

groovybassist

Forum Donor
Are you talking about the small darker colored patch to the right side of the woofer? If so this is a natural discoloration in the wood grain. See below the cabinets as they came back from the carpenter.

View attachment 148455
Yes - glad it’s that vs a routing flaw!

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 148455
Those are beautiful cabinets.

fcracer

Forum Donor
Alan sent me a picture of one of the completed speakers yesterday which I can share so far. I'll post again when I have them here and my subjective impressions.

View attachment 148450

It always annoys me when a manufacturer puts an ugly plate on their hard work. With all that beautiful wood to work with, why not embed the plate into the wood for a flush finish? The four bolts look out of place too. Just seems like a last minute add on.

Mutsu

It always annoys me when a manufacturer puts an ugly plate on their hard work. With all that beautiful wood to work with, why not embed the plate into the wood for a flush finish? The four bolts look out of place too. Just seems like a last minute add on.

I personally prefer the more rustic look, especially with the natural wood.

jae

Major Contributor
That's great!

I used to think that the more expensive an audio product is, the more likely it is that it will sound better. With the A/B dac/amp I mentioned in a previous post, I pitted the dac section against a $20 topping product that's about the size of a matchbox (baring in mind the A/B dac/amp I think retailed for around $3,000). The AB test results showed that I couldn't tell any difference that was statistically significant though.

With speakers there is somewhat of a correlation, but definitely not when it comes to modern electronics. There is a definite "sweetspot" when it comes to electronics and performance tends to decrease when you go both lower and even higher in price. For power amplifiers the best can be had for $1000-3000 with very few outliers (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZlTOYxmPs938gqHjtDABkWS-MApu7uJjzIGnJ2Elm6Y/edit#gid=0) and for DACs that number is around $150-1100. In between those price ranges you can find the best performing products.

Mutsu

With speakers there is somewhat of a correlation, but definitely not when it comes to modern electronics. There is a definite "sweetspot" when it comes to electronics and performance tends to decrease when you go both lower and even higher in price. For power amplifiers the best can be had for $1000-3000 with very few outliers (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZlTOYxmPs938gqHjtDABkWS-MApu7uJjzIGnJ2Elm6Y/edit#gid=0) and for DACs that number is around $150-1100. In between those price ranges you can find the best performing products.

Before I found ASR I was considering a $6,000 DAC. Never again...

Mutsu

With speakers there is somewhat of a correlation, but definitely not when it comes to modern electronics.

Yea, I'm quite interested in how the Sointuva's will sound compared to my current speakers subjectively speaking. Price range wise they are not too far apart (if the Sointuva's were the MDF version).

I've not seen detailed measurements for my current speaker, but the one I have seen suggests the Sointuva's measure quite a lot better.

There is probably a much greater value on components used in the Sointuva's versus my current mass produced brand name speakers too.

OP
PurdueDeep

PurdueDeep

Forum Donor
What speakers do you have now @Mutsu and maybe a comparitive youtube video when you can. I don't care about compression on the vid if you choose to do so! :)

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom