• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Owners' threads on ASR

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
More for issue-specific/troubleshooting threads, which tend to be repetitive. Members could browse them there to find solutions that have worked for others.

The product-specific ones like the polarity thread on the E30 could stay where they are since they concern product issues rather than setup or config issues.

I fear browsing, searching and patience are not a lot of members' strengths. Myself included. Cue even more repetition- or worse , double posting in the tech thread and the review thread.

kokishin

Forum Donor

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I fear browsing, searching and patience are not a lot of members' strengths. Myself included. Cue even more repetition- or worse , double posting in the tech thread and the review thread.
I'm thinking more of these kinds of threads:
  • How do I get x to work?
  • Why do I have buzzing in my speakers?
  • Have I done this correctly?
Repetition is fine, it's the ease of search I'm thinking of. Sometimes really good answers are given to ground loop stuff that are hard to track down. There are plenty of similar questions in the audio newbie forum, which ask about audio concepts and interpreting measurements and so on. This would be like a companion forum to that.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Are you aware that you can search ASR with Google using the site: directive? Try pasting something like this in the search box:

site:audiosciencereview.com d50s+LDAC+usb

kokishin

Forum Donor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you aware that you can search ASR with Google using the site: directive? Try pasting something like this in the search box:

site:audiosciencereview.com d50s+LDAC+usb

I am aware, in fact I think I had an extension to make it even easier. But a human foible is to think they have had an original thought or unique problem.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Thor's Mjöllnir.

Here on ASR, @amirm is Odin and @Thomas savage is Thor. Powerful and low overhead.
thor_ragnarok_movie_screencaps.com_1879.0.jpg

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Repetition is fine, it's the ease of search I'm thinking of. Sometimes really good answers are given to ground loop stuff that are hard to track down. There are plenty of similar questions in the audio newbie forum, which ask about audio concepts and interpreting measurements and so on. This would be like a companion forum to that.

Ah, yes. Generic how tos might be good- thought you meant product specific. Please, no more SMSL firmware failure posts!

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I've just read this thread. I've also checked the most popular threads here @ ASR.
No need mentioning; only one has the machine to measure all other machines.

I could start another movie thread with much more elaborate reviews, but I would need donations for attraction and diversion into the world of movie entertainment. ;)

Anyway, all is good when keeping a safe distance and wearing the proper mask @ the right places ...

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Let's say I'm looking for a particular piece of kit. Bearing in mind the principles of this site this is how I should do it:

1. Start by looking at measurements. These measurements are listed on here in order of results.

2. I look at the reviews on here and then go further by checking out (not just on this site) connections, size and all the other stuff that might make it suit my circumstances, including of course availability to me. Hopefully I will then have a few choices.

3. Only then does the manufacturer's name become important. I shouldn't look only at a specific manufacturer as that isn't following the science. I agree this become a bit more difficult with speakers, and certainly speaker types.

Therefore I don't see the necessity of having owners thread on here. They can be found on other sites, they are not needed for the purpose of this site, and I would think it is possible that some of them could become quite partisan and troublesome - imagine a PSAudio thread.

Owner's threads would reveal reliability issues.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

On the other hand, perhaps 'more informed people' taking a little time to answer the individual questions of 'less informed' people is one of the key differentiators of ASR from other places and helps to foster a sense of community. Perhaps that's the price that the 'more informed' members pay to keep the forum interesting, independent and free of advertising?

I have seen other places where information is stuck in FAQs and new visitors are incessantly directed towards them with passive-aggressive banner messages. I don't enjoy visiting those places and I don't think it's a good approach to welcoming and retaining new visitors.

Who said running an internet forum was easy?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
It could have been a subforum with "brand threads" ("brand fan threads").
The first thread could countain a link to the different brands.
Something like this:
all brands... newest updates first
and
list with links to each brand's thread
There have been 200+ brands reviewed so far here. As good as that list-based/link-based organization is for that forum it does feel very archaic.

As much as I like these organizational ideas it seems like there are as many downsides as upsides. Members self-organize to some extent (the new Okto 8 owner's thread, for example). The last few subforums introduced were device-specific ones. That may be enough for a while yet.

Top Bottom