• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[owners thread] HIFIMAN HE400i headphones (v. 2016)

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Starting a thread -- separate from the measurement thread -- for HIFIMAN HE400i headphone owners. (This is specifically for the 2016 version, not the 2020 version.) Some reference info below ...

Specs
source: DIY-Audio-Heaven
  • Driver type: orthodynamic
  • Headphone connector: 2.5mm TRS (marked L and R)
  • Cable entry: double-sided
  • Cable: replaceable 1.5m with gold plated 3.5 mm TRS plug and 6.3 mm adapter
  • Driver size: 60 mm
  • Nominal power rating: 6 W
  • Max S.P.L.: 130 dB (15Vrms)
  • Impedance: 40 Ω
  • Efficiency: 93 dB/1mW (107dB/1V)
  • Weight: 370 g
  • Clamping force: medium/high

Measurements

EQ

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Nice idea for thread, Rick...

I now use mine with Qudelix 5k. Did not find 3.5mm unbalanced sufficient, so switched to 2.5mm balanced, where it now sounds great.

The least expensive balanced cable I bought, and seems fine, is:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WMPNFS8/

Still, the Balanced Cable Cartel has set the price at a rip-off $42.. but it works ok..

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
My original HE400i 2016 cable stopped working.
I didn't even use it that much, maybe for 6 months, and the right side just stopped playing sound.

I bought a compatible replacement for CDN$20 from amazon.ca
1608492098680.png
What I love about it:
- braided cable
- solid connectors that don't look cheap
- straight 1/8" aux connector (unlike 90 deg stock cable)
- interchangeable 1/8" to 1/4" adapter

Definitely an upgrade over stock cable. :)

iLoveCats

My original HE400i 2016 cable stopped working.
I didn't even use it that much, maybe for 6 months, and the right side just stopped playing sound.

I bought a compatible replacement for CDN$20 from amazon.ca
What I love about it:
- braided cable
- solid connectors that don't look cheap
- straight 1/8" aux connector (unlike 90 deg stock cable)
- interchangeable 1/8" to 1/4" adapter

Definitely an upgrade over stock cable. :)

I have that same cable. It is good from comfort standpoint for me. The factory one is so stiff. Also the 90 degree connector was terrible on the factory cable

highpurityusbcable

Mine got coaxial connectors. No EQ, removed cloth under the grills, fashionable cable from lunashops and spare pads to not worry about for some time.
Even my cold dead hands won't release these headphones. Especially after having an opportunity to compare them with other certain models.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have that same cable. It is good from comfort standpoint for me. The factory one is so stiff. Also the 90 degree connector was terrible on the factory cable

Absolutely correct on all points! Why Hifiman opted to supply such a ridiculously stiff stock cable is beyond me.

Nichdroid

Another happy He400i owner here. I have owned them for 3 years and in the meantime the pads have fallen apart countless times, but I fixed them permanently by sewing them to the circular plastic support. Maybe in some time I could consider exchanging them with the Dekonis, also because they are now quite battered, but for the moment they remain where they are. I tried to equalize them with PEACE with Oratory's and Amir's profiles and I find the latter more suitable for my taste.

EDIT: Forgot to say that I replaced the very short stock cable with a 3 meter long china quality one and now I hear angelic symphonies :p

Last edited:
Another happy He400i owner here. I have owned them for 3 years and in the meantime the pads have fallen apart countless times, but I fixed them permanently by sewing them to the circular plastic support. Maybe in some time I could consider exchanging them with the Dekonis, also because they are now quite battered, but for the moment they remain where they are. I tried to equalize them with PEACE with Oratory's and Amir's profiles and I find the latter more suitable for my taste.

EDIT: Forgot to say that I replaced the very short stock cable with a 3 meter long china quality one and now I hear angelic symphonies :p

I've got the Dekoni pads on mine and they've already lasted far longer than any hifiman pads. With Amir's EQ from his recent review of the HE400i they sound fantastic now. I also have a custom braided cable that cost me about £50 but is well worth it. I have 3 of them in total to suit my different headphones (just need to mod the DT770 to use a detachable cable)

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Another happy He400i owner here. I I tried to equalize them with PEACE with Oratory's and Amir's profiles and I find the latter more suitable for my taste.

I own the HE400i and Etymotic ER3SE, Senn IE40 Pro, and had some Noble IEMs that I bought on a deal from Drop.

Frankly, I have no idea what Oratory is doing because none of his EQs on any of these sounded correct to me. Always too shrill.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Very intresting, thanks! :)They look thicker than the stock ones, has the clamping force increased due to the increased thickness?

I don't think they are thicker enough to matter. However, when I received the headphones over two years ago, the stock pads were installed, and I noted that they were rather bass-light. I decided to try the Brainwavz pads immediately--and never went back.

OP
RickSanchez

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
I'm thinking about getting a balanced (XLR) replacement cable for my HE400i's. I'm trying to keep total cost (headphone cable + extension) under $100 US. A couple questions ...

Balanced (XLR) headphone cable
  • Any suggestions on a reasonably priced balanced (XLR) cable?
  • Ideally something with a Neutrik (or similar quality) connector on the XLR end.
  • @Cahudson42 mentioned the cable they're using, and I see Amazon has an XLR version of the same cable. That said the XLR connector looks pretty generic.
  • I know there are also boutique shops on eBay that do custom cabling but I don't have experience with any of them, so open to recommendations.

Balanced (XLR) headphone cable extension
  • Any suggestions on a reasonably priced 10' (~3 meter) or 12' (4 meter) XLR extension cable?
  • My primary listening position is a ways from the DAC/amp.
  • I found this extension cable with Canare MR202-2AT cable and 4-pin XLR Neutrik connectors for $29 US. That said: are all 4-pin XLR cables wired up the same such that they'll always work for headphones?

Thanks.

KnockKnock

Starting a thread -- separate from the measurement thread -- for HIFIMAN HE400i headphone owners. (This is specifically for the 2016 version, not the 2020 version.) Some reference info below ...

Specs
source: DIY-Audio-Heaven
  • Driver type: orthodynamic
  • Headphone connector: 2.5mm TRS (marked L and R)
  • Cable entry: double-sided
  • Cable: replaceable 1.5m with gold plated 3.5 mm TRS plug and 6.3 mm adapter
  • Driver size: 60 mm
  • Nominal power rating: 6 W
  • Max S.P.L.: 130 dB (15Vrms)
  • Impedance: 40 Ω
  • Efficiency: 93 dB/1mW (107dB/1V)
  • Weight: 370 g
  • Clamping force: medium/high

Measurements

EQ
Sorry if this has been discussed before, I am a newbie here. I have HiFiman 400 but the strip that goes over your head is rotting away. Where can I get a new one, I think I looked everywhere except here. Thanks from Denmark. ;)

Top Bottom