• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Overwhelmed! Integrating Rythmik L12 & Wharfedale Diamond 220s?

• Thread starter Deleted member 36000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 36000

I've been into audio for a long time, but this forum and it's info is something that is relatively new to me, and while I've combed through A LOT of threads here... my head is swimming with all the options available and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.

I've never had a properly integrated subwoofer. I have a Marantz NR1608 AVR along with the speakers and sub in the thread title. The Marantz is the lowest model compatible with the Audyssey MultEQ Editor App, but only supports MultEQ and not XT or XT32. I'm wondering if I can edit the curve on the app to somewhat resemble a Harman House Curve? It doesn't have to be perfect - maybe 70-80% there. Am I barking up the wrong tree with my current setup, or do I need to look into a miniDSP 2x4 HD or a Denon AVR that supports XT32? I'm going to invest in a UMIK-1 and start playing around with REW so I can measure results for whichever route I end up taking.

The room this is all in is an odd-shaped, small bedroom. I may play around with sub placement... right now it is in an alcove behind the TV and the output seems a bit low (settings on the sub and AVR as per Rythmik recommendations with the volume neutral and no boost from the receiver, though Rythmik says you can boost it to about +6 before having to adjust volume on the sub itself.) I'm really worried about boosting either the sub or speakers too much, but right now, the speakers seem to be more pronounced than the sub.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated and, so far, I love this forum and the expert advice that it provides.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jbrunwa

Welcome to ARS! I see that nobody has responded so will give it a shot. I think that umik and REW is a good next step. You will be able to get a good look at the frequency response and level of the subwoofer. Turn off the speakers and just measure the subwoofer and vice versa. This will help you discover if the overall sub level is too low. Measuring the sub combined with the speakers will give you an idea of how they transition. Avsforum has a great guide with explanation Guide on Subwoofer optimization and using REW and Audyssey

OP
D

Deleted member 36000

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I'm slowly figuring it out. I did let Audyssey figure out volume settings and then I reset the receiver back to default settings and then manually applied those levels to the mains and then boosted the sub above the level it gave, which was admittedly low. I will hopefully get a UMIK-1 soon and download REW and start taking some measurements, but for now I am satisfied with both music and movies. The Rythmik L12 is quite a step up from my old Energy S10.3 sub (gave that to my son and he loves it!) For the small room that this is all in, I have more than enough volume for the levels that I listen at.

(Love Young Frankenstein, BTW.)

Jbrunwa

I’m glad it’s working to your satisfaction now.

Funny story about Young Frankenstein, my wife and I saw the original release when it opened in the theater. We we’re just scraping by then, and I remember being upset that the theater charged full price for a black and white movie! :p

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OP
D

Deleted member 36000

I’m glad it’s working to your satisfaction now.

Funny story about Young Frankenstein, my wife and I saw the original release when it opened in the theater. We we’re just scraping by then, and I remember being upset that the theater charged full price for a black and white movie! :p

Hilarious! I wasn’t even alive yet when it released (born in ‘76).

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the info. I failed to mention that I did let Audyssey determine distances, as well, so I’m hoping that it got phasing in the ballpark.

In my experience only Dirac with bass management does well with sub integration.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The task is hopeless without a microphone and at least REW. Use the small setting for the mains on your AVR. With an AVR the OP should be able to get there without additional hardware.

OP
D

Deleted member 36000

Thanks for all the responses. I’m realizing more and more that this is a process that will take some time.

Top Bottom