• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Overkill amp madness

cjfrbw

ryanmh1

Actually data from the AES, not my theories. I know how loud an orchestra is, from the back row even, but do not want it that loudly in my home. And when I am in the audience I do not like the front row -- too close to see everyone on stage, and too durn loud for me, plus the balance is rarely as good as back in the middle (where the sound board is usually set, not by coincidence).

But thank you for denigrating some of my favorite music; I don't listen to big testosteronic pieces all the time. If that makes me a wimp so be it. :)

This place seems awfully snarky lately, need to stay away a bit.

Sorry that wasn't directed to you but to the OP, whose theories in part did leave me scratching my head. :) I'll grant that if you don't ever listen loud, you don't need much juice. But I tend to think most audiophiles listen to symphonic music or rock music from time to time, and crank it up. I'll freely admit to it. Without highly efficient speakers or headphones, it takes some serious juice, which the maths bear out.

Sorry about the chamber music quip. Just not my flavor, usually.

Top Bottom