• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Over-ear headphones that would seal & respond consistently across multiple seatings & individuals?

ADU

Major Contributor
If you've happened by Doc O's twitter recently, you've probably heard that he's searching for both a set of good closed and open headphones with these characteristics to use for some new testing on HRTFs. So thought I'd start a thread on the subject.

I have little to no personal experience with higher-end headphones that might be good candidates in this regard. So not sure I can offer much in terms of useful input. Rtings ranks headphones based on the consistency of their response across multiple seatings though. And this is something that can also be seen on FR plots where multiple seatings are shown and then averaged, including the old Inner Fidelity plots, and also some of Jude's recent HBK 5128 plots, I believe. I'm less sure about some other sites.

Last edited:
OP
A

ADU

Major Contributor
Most of the lower cost headphones I've tried would not be great candidates imo, because the cups are too small, or because the pads or hinges do not allow consistent sealing, or because they have single-sided cables that pull more on one side than the other, and provide poor symmetry. The AKG K371 & K553, AudioTechnica M30x, M40x & M50x, Sony MDR-7506, and Beyer DT-770 & DT-990 would probably all fall into this category imo.

Some of the closed-back Sennheisers and Shure headphones might possibly work a little better. But I'm not really sure about that, since I haven't used them as much. I have also used and tried a few of the open Sennheisers, and they seem like they might be a bit more consistent.

I suspect MayaTlab might have a few thoughts on this subject as well, since she(?) has mentioned it in several topics here and elsewhere in the past.

Last edited:

luft262

Most of the lower cost headphones I've tried would not be good candidates imo, either because the cups are too small, or because the pads or hinges do not allow consistent sealing, or because they have single-sided cables that pull more on one side than the other, and provide poor symmetry. The AKG K371 & K553, AudioTechnica M30x, M40x & M50x, Sony MDR-7506, and Beyer DT-770 & DT-990 would probably all fall into this category imo.

Some of the closed-back Sennheisers and Shure headphones might possibly work a little better. But I'm not really sure about that, since I haven't used them as much.

I have also used and tried a few of the open Sennheisers, and they seem like they could be a bit more consistent.

I suspect MayaTlab might have a few thoughts on this subject as well, since she(?) has mentioned the subject in several topics here and elsewhere.
I haven't tried them, but the Dan Clark Audio headphones review very well and they look large in pictures and videos. They supposedly have very good product design and fit and finish.

Reactions: ADU
OP
A

ADU

Major Contributor
Rtings hasn't reviewed or ranked the DCA headphones unfortunately.

Some of the highest rated over-ears on their Consistency list include the Audeze LCD-1, HFM Arya, XS, Ananda, and Sundara (esp. 2018 version), Beyer DT-880 (though padwear might possibly effect these), Philips Fidelio X3, AKG K712 Pro, Senn HD800S and 6XX, Focal Clear Mg and Elear, and so forth.

I wonder about some of the Denons as well, but Rtings hasn't reviewed any of those either. At least not the more expensive closed-backs, with their free-edge tech.

OP
A

ADU

Major Contributor
Some of the closed-back Sennheisers and Shure headphones might possibly work a little better. But I'm not really sure about that, since I haven't used them as much. I have also used and tried a few of the open Sennheisers, and they seem like they might be a bit more consistent.

Pad wear or break-in could also be an issue on some of the open Sennheisers, since they use cloth/velour pads like some of the Beyers.

Top Bottom