• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Over ear headphone ear cup size

somy

Hi,
Is there any website where I can find the ear cup sizes for over ear headphones? I assume I have to choose the size bigger than my ears? Today I tried a few headphones, but I feel most of them are too small for my ears (measures to 70x36mm). Should the ears be completely inside the cup or it’s fine to the certain parts under the cushion?
Sorry if the question seems stupid. Appreciate your input.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
There aren't many sites that publish ear room space.
I do this for the later headphones I measured.

70X36 (you haven't given the depth) is a tall order.
Not many do this. The HD560S will just barely fit:
Inner Pad dimensions: depth font = 21mm, rear = 28mm, Width = 40mm, height = 70mm, oval shaped

The HD800 and the larger Hifimans (Inner pad dimensions: depth: 20mm rear, 28mm front side, H=85mm, W=50mm) will but not all of them may have the needed depth.

OP
S

somy

There aren't many sites that publish ear room space.
I do this for the later headphones I measured.

70X36 (you haven't given the depth) is a tall order.
Not many do this. The HD560S will just barely fit:
Inner Pad dimensions: depth font = 21mm, rear = 28mm, Width = 40mm, height = 70mm, oval shaped

The HD800 and the larger Hifimans (Inner pad dimensions: depth: 20mm rear, 28mm front side, H=85mm, W=50mm) will but not all of them may have the needed depth.
Thanks, HD800 is out of my reach unfortunately. I tried a few today and only found HD660S fits nearly but I can feel the cushion around the ear. So would it be a problem to choose one that covers part of the ear (instead of fully inside)?

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'd try some AKG 'phones like the K702 & K712 those have nice big round pads. Beyerdynamic as well but, those have a much different FR.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
HD660s next to K712Pro (with very comfortable Sheepskin pads from AliExpress)...

20201010_222922 (Small).jpg

I'd say that the AKGs feel bigger on my head, although that may be down to the pads being round rather than oval and the head band having a much lower clamping force. Personally, I prefer the high clamping force of the Sennheiser's and they certainly sound better to me - but I would say that because they cost more. #choicesupportivebias #postpurchaserationalization

Last edited:
OP
S

somy

looks like I don’t have many options, even Hd650 and K702 barely fit my ears. So my next question: besides comfort, would it be a problem if I choose a headphone with smaller ear cup and have part of my ear under the pads? I really like sundara but it’s only 62mm high inside

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Most open headphones do not show a lot of roll-off. For closed headphones this can severely compromise bass response.
When seal is breached even more then also the mids may become wonky.
Just slapping on different (aftermarket) pads may severely alter the sound. Sometimes for the better, sometimes not and sometimes just a little.
K712 pads are 60mm in diameter.

As long as the bass doesn't change too much when lightly pressing down on the headphone you are good.

OP
S

somy

Most open headphones do not show a lot of roll-off. For closed headphones this can severely compromise bass response.
When seal is breached even more then also the mids may become wonky.
Just slapping on different (aftermarket) pads may severely alter the sound. Sometimes for the better, sometimes not and sometimes just a little.
K712 pads are 60mm in diameter.

As long as the bass doesn't change too much when lightly pressing down on the headphone you are good.
Thanks I'm going to try Ananda and see if fits good. If so I'll go for Ananda and hopefully can save on DAC/AMP as they should be easy to drive by my MacBook/iMac.

OP
S

somy

Just want to report: ananda does fit well, not touch of my ear and the sound is great! I’m yet to find a place to try k712

Top Bottom