• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Output Sample Rate Affecting FR?

Zensō

Major Contributor
As I'm sure you're all aware, the output sample rate on Mac OS does not automatically change to match the sample rate of the music, it has to be manually set. This begs the question, which sample rate should one choose? Some say use the highest sample rate supported by your hardware, others say 44.1 because that's the most common. In experimenting with this, I noticed higher samples rates are causing major changes to the frequency response in the bass and mids (see below, both are from the same section of the same piece of music). Is this expected, and if not, what might be causing it?

Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 8.12.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 8.13.12 AM.png

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Is this expected, and if not, what might be causing it?
I wouldn't expect anything in the low or midrange...

High frequency changes near the Nyquist limit (half the sample rate) wouldn't surprise me, because filters are imperfect. I wouldn't necessarily expect that to be audible because even if you can hear to 20kHz, with normal program material the highest frequencies are usually masked by slightly lower frequencies.

Upsampling to 96kHz should push any filtering oddities well out of the audible range.

"The rumor is"... Some DACs (and ADCs) have other issues when pushed to their highest sample rates but I I'm pretty sure that's noise (and maybe distortion) rather than frequency response.

OP
Zensō

Zensō

Major Contributor
I wouldn't expect anything in the low or midrange...

High frequency changes near the Nyquist limit (half the sample rate) wouldn't surprise me, because filters are imperfect. I wouldn't necessarily expect that to be audible because even if you can hear to 20kHz, with normal program material the highest frequencies are usually masked by slightly lower frequencies.

Upsampling to 96kHz should push any filtering oddities well out of the audible range.

"The rumor is"... Some DACs (and ADCs) have other issues when pushed to their highest sample rates but I I'm pretty sure that's noise (and maybe distortion) rather than frequency response.
Thanks. What you've described is what I thought. I wonder what is going on then? I can definitely hear the bass boost as shown in the EQ as I switch to higher sample rates. This holds true on two different systems running different DACs (ADI-2 DAC FS and JDS Element II). Strange...

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. What you've described is what I thought. I wonder what is going on then? I can definitely hear the bass boost as shown in the EQ as I switch to higher sample rates. This holds true on two different systems running different DACs (ADI-2 DAC FS and JDS Element II). Strange...

you can always convert the analog signal to digital with REW or something and check if it's bothering you.

OP
Zensō

Zensō

Major Contributor
you can always convert the analog signal to digital with REW or something and check if it's bothering you.
That's worth a try.

I don't have a problem with leaving the sample rate set at 44.1, was just curious about why it's happening to possibly learn something.

Zek

Major Contributor
the output sample rate on Mac OS does not automatically change to match the sample rate of the music
Isn't it possible to set the audio player to be the same sample rate as the audio file?

OP
Zensō

Zensō

Major Contributor
Isn't it possible to set the audio player to be the same sample rate as the audio file?
Sure, but what a hassle. I don't want to do that for every piece of music I listen to, particularly if it's a playlist where every song is potentially a different sample rate.

gvl

Major Contributor
Please tell me it’s not true that you can’t automatically play music at its native sample rate on a Mac.

OP
Zensō

Zensō

Major Contributor
Please tell me it’s not true that you can’t automatically play music at its native sample rate on a Mac.
Oh, I wish I could. But no, Mac OS does not auto switch sample rates. Ironically, iOS does auto sample rate switching, no problem at all.

gvl

Major Contributor
Oh, I wish I could. But no, Mac OS does not auto switch sample rates. Ironically, iOS does auto sample rate switching, no problem at all.

Very sad. Are there players that can bypass the OS mixer?

OP
Zensō

Zensō

Major Contributor
Very sad. Are there players that can bypass the OS mixer?
Yes, there are players that offer exclusive mode and bypass the OS, Tidal, Qobuz, Audirvana, and Roon being a few. I'm on Apple Music which doesn't (I know, it's crazy). I guess it's not really a Mac OS issue as much as an Apple-Music-on-Mac issue.

Last edited:

Zek

Major Contributor
You can get free Pine Player which play sample rate as song's sample rate.

DAc control.png

gvl

Major Contributor
Alright, then it’s the standard app issue that exists on all OSs, it would be very odd if you couldn’t bypass the OS mixer on macOS as Macs are widely used for music production.

OP
Zensō

Zensō

Major Contributor
Alright, then it’s the standard app issue that exists on all OSs, it would be very odd if you couldn’t bypass the OS mixer on macOS as Macs are widely used for music production.
The issue doesn't exist on iOS.

The problem is that Apple Music service now streams music at various sample rates up to 192kHz, but the Apple Music app only outputs the music at the sample rate set in the Audio MIDI setup app. I'm guessing a fix will come at some point.

gvl

Major Contributor
The issue doesn't exist on iOS.

The problem is that Apple Music service now streams music at various sample rates up to 192kHz, but the Apple Music app only outputs the music at the sample rate set in the Audio MIDI setup app. I'm guessing a fix will come at some point.

I get it. It is odd the desktop app is behind as one would think an external DAC is a more of a desktop use case than mobile. Perhaps the lack of analog outputs on newer mobile devices has something to do with it.

OP
Zensō

Zensō

Major Contributor
I get it. It is odd the desktop app is behind as one would think an external DAC is a more of a desktop use case than mobile. Perhaps the lack of analog outputs on newer mobile devices has something to do with it.
That makes sense. It could also have to do with the fact that iOS gets more attention because it’s now Apple’s bread and butter.

Top Bottom