• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Outlaw RR2160 vs Parasound P6

Samk1234

I am deciding between purchasing a new Outlaw RR2160 and a used Parasound P6 for the same cost, around $1500 Canadian in total.

What I began looking for was a preamp with full bass management (an active crossover for the subwoofer and speakers). I've come to these two as my best available options.

The Outlaw has the added feature of having a power amplifier, which I believe I can use together with my own power amp to run 4 speakers. If so, this is a plus but not a priority.

Which would you choose, and are there any options I am missing?

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am deciding between purchasing a new Outlaw RR2160 and a used Parasound P6 for the same cost, around $1500 Canadian in total.

What I began looking for was a preamp with full bass management (an active crossover for the subwoofer and speakers). I've come to these two as my best available options.

The Outlaw has the added feature of having a power amplifier, which I believe I can use together with my own power amp to run 4 speakers. If so, this is a plus but not a priority.

Which would you choose, and are there any options I am missing?
Well, the Outlaw is a a integrated receiver, while the Parasound is a dedicated Pre-amp.
The only thing positive with the outlaw is the built-in amp as you stated, otherwise the Parasound in my opinion is a far better Pre-amp.
With the Parasound you also get the benefit of far more connection possibilities, because it is a dedicated pre-amp.
With the Parasound, you also get unbalanced and balanced connections, which can be used simultaneously.
If I were needing or wanting just a Preamp, the choice would be easy, Parasound.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would choose neither, because I think the Yamaha R-N803 is a better value based on specs and it measured well on ASR. It also offers bass management.

raindance

Major Contributor
The Marantz NR1200 should be a contender if it's still around.

But the Yamaha suggested has room correction as well and is a great option - it is perhaps the best alternative to surround receivers out there.

JimWeir

Well, the Outlaw is a a integrated receiver, while the Parasound is a dedicated Pre-amp.
The only thing positive with the outlaw is the built-in amp as you stated, otherwise the Parasound in my opinion is a far better Pre-amp.
With the Parasound you also get the benefit of far more connection possibilities, because it is a dedicated pre-amp.
With the Parasound, you also get unbalanced and balanced connections, which can be used simultaneously.
If I were needing or wanting just a Preamp, the choice would be easy, Parasound.
There is the Parasound 200. Integrated

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would choose neither, because I think the Yamaha R-N803 is a better value based on specs and it measured well on ASR. It also offers bass management.
It does? I wish Yamaha were more consistent with features like that and variable loudness. I can't see any highpass crossover in the manual, is it part of the YPAO?

kapardian

I own the Outlaw and did have the Yamaha. I kept the Outlaw, Yamaha has nice built, but the sound is too boomy, the bass output is too artificial and overly exaggerated for me. Outlaw has great natural , neutral sound and power (and Subwoofer bass management if you need) , noting is exaggerated.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It does? I wish Yamaha were more consistent with features like that and variable loudness. I can't see any highpass crossover in the manual, is it part of the YPAO?

I don't think it is mentioned in the manual, someone posted some info on Audioholics.com. If I understood correctly, you have to do it in the App. Take a look of the post linked below:

Top Bottom