• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Outlaw Audio 975 and 976 Review Request

madbrayniak

As title says, I'd like to see you guys measure these products. They aren't designed with all the "bells & whistles" of the mainstream stuff so I am curious if they do a better job with the DACs.

THanks,
-B

OP
M

madbrayniak

Well thanks, but it may take a while. Used 976's seem to be rarer than in stock toilet paper these days, and a new one isn't really in my pre-retirement market crash budget lol.
In my book, even having intent to help out like this goes a king way.

The world is going crazy right now.

My wife runs her little business from the garage and I run my little business out of my truck. So we are always socially isolated. However, its getting in the way of me doing certain things and will probably postpone me making some big deals with clients that will get in the way of atleast my income.

Time will tell.

Stay Healthy.

Reactions: wje

wje

Forum Donor
There's a used Outlaw 975 available on Craiglist about an hour away from me for $200. Apparently, just a small scratch on the glass and it's missing one of the optical input covers. I had given it some thought to get it and try it out, but with the IOTAVX SA3 eventually on its way to me along with the Emotiva PT-100, too, I decided to pass on it. Instead, this weekend, I picked up a B&K Reference 30 preamplifier that I'm utilizing for 2-channel duty until the Emotiva and IOTAVX SA3 arrives.

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well sorry to say, I have completely given up on working with Outlaw to get a Model 976 sent to ASR for review.

I won't go into particulars, but suffice to say the entire exchange has left me not wanting to ever own an Outlaw Audio product. I am no longer searching for a used one, nor entertaining buying a new one (and invoking the 30-day return window if it did not measure well).

Best to all, and stay safe !!!!

OP
M

madbrayniak

Well sorry to say, I have completely given up on working with Outlaw to get a Model 976 sent to ASR for review.

I won't go into particulars, but suffice to say the entire exchange has left me not wanting to ever own an Outlaw Audio product. I am no longer searching for a used one, nor entertaining buying a new one (and invoking the 30-day return window if it did not measure well).

Dang man, sorry to hear that. I reached out to them directly about sending a reviee unit out as well about 2 weeks ago and never heard anything back.

OP
M

madbrayniak

I just logged back into the support page and it says that I never got a response because "Your query did not match any records".

Whatever that means...

I sent in the request in the Pre-Sales Inquiry section.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Thanks for trying anyway. It is always worth a shot just in case they do cooperate.

Oddiofyl

I had a 1070 receiver ..... it was pretty crappy. I ended up trading it for a go cart for my son. I tried a 2150, the Bass and Balance controls were crossed at the factory.... they kindly swapped it and the replacement had a volume problem. So I was done demo'ing that. I don't know who builds their current stuff made in China but QC is questionable.

Their ATI built stuff is good but the rest I'd pass on.

Oddiofyl

"In case anyone is wanting to buy a 976 to send in for review, Outlaw raised the price from $929 to $999 during the pandemic"

Real humanitarians over there.....

Vasr

Major Contributor
"In case anyone is wanting to buy a 976 to send in for review, Outlaw raised the price from $929 to $999 during the pandemic"

Real humanitarians over there.....

Could be the tariffs no? This is a Chinese ODM/OEM.

Even if it wasn't the tariffs, I find the above accusation entitled and a bit obnoxious. Perhaps, they wanted to keep everyone employed during the pandemic and needed some higher margins? Perhaps, they had to spend money at their location for safely opening up when they were allowed to? Perhaps, they couldn't sell/ship as many because of the pandemic and wanted higher margins?

Instead they should be "humanitarian" towards people who have the money to buy a $1000 discretionary product? :facepalm:

The pandemic has certainly exposed the real nature of many people for sure...

Vasr

Major Contributor
I have a 975 if someone still wanted to see it tested.

I think testing the 976 with significant change in electronics over the discontinued 975 will be more useful as a current model. But there are so few Outlaw models tested here, if you want to stick it in the queue it might be useful to some (but not to extrapolate it to the 976).

I don't think the 976s are selling well given the almost dead forum discussions anywhere on this unit. It is a tough positioning at that price point over the AVRs. The typical AVR audience will go "oh no, can't do Atmos..." whether they need it or not. You can get a multi-channel processor with amps around that price and with Room EQ (although it has a parametric equalizer for manual configuration using REW).

Interestingly, they had announced a 16-channel higher tier model when they announced this one which was expected to be around $1500, a couple of years ago. That never came about. Likely they scrapped it given poor sales for the 976.

Too bad there isn't a big market for these types of lower-end pre/pros. For those who can use something like that, it is very hard to find many choices.

Reactions: wje

dreadknot

Forum Donor
Vasr
i
I have a 975 if someone still wanted to see it tested.
id like to see asw do a review on the 976 if you still have an could send it to him
also

what is the dif between the 4V RCA 9 V XLR an the 2V RCA; 4V XLR listed specs on the 976

no eq i guess Max Pre-Out Voltage - 4V RCA 9 V XLR

with eq i guess Pre-Out Voltage 2V RCA; 4V XLR

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Vasr
i

id like to see asw do a review on the 976 if you still have an could send it to him
also

what is the dif between the 4V RCA 9 V XLR an the 2V RCA; 4V XLR listed specs on the 976

no eq i guess Max Pre-Out Voltage - 4V RCA 9 V XLR

with eq i guess Pre-Out Voltage 2V RCA; 4V XLR

Someone should complain about their specs on gain/input sensitivity as they are not always consistent, actually confusing..

In this case their website says:
Max Pre-Out Voltage: 4.5V RCA; 9 V XLR, and
Pre-Out Voltage 2V RCA; 4V XLR

that is a little better than what the manual says:
Pre Out 4 V Maximum Output 9 V, and that's incredibly vague

So assuming the website one is correct (it looks at least more informative and logical), it would most likely mean 2 V nominal for RCA, 4 V for XLR, at reasonably low THD+N (they didn't even provide a THD+N spec) , whereas the so called "maximum" or 4.5 V RCA, 9 V XLR likely means a) for short duration, and/or b) at much higher THD+N, such as 1%, and/or at clipping.

Top Bottom