• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Outlaw Audio 975 and 976 Review Request

KA7NIQ

I think testing the 976 with significant change in electronics over the discontinued 975 will be more useful as a current model. But there are so few Outlaw models tested here, if you want to stick it in the queue it might be useful to some (but not to extrapolate it to the 976).

I don't think the 976s are selling well given the almost dead forum discussions anywhere on this unit. It is a tough positioning at that price point over the AVRs. The typical AVR audience will go "oh no, can't do Atmos..." whether they need it or not. You can get a multi-channel processor with amps around that price and with Room EQ (although it has a parametric equalizer for manual configuration using REW).

Interestingly, they had announced a 16-channel higher tier model when they announced this one which was expected to be around $1500, a couple of years ago. That never came about. Likely they scrapped it given poor sales for the 976.

Too bad there isn't a big market for these types of lower-end pre/pros. For those who can use something like that, it is very hard to find many choices.
I own and use an Outlaw 976 that I am very happy with. I agree that lack of Dolby Atmos killed it. The Parametric Equalizer is great. but unlike the parametric equalizer in my old Yamaha Receiver, you can not hear what it is doing as you change it! I especailly like the shelving equalizer! With the shelving equalizer, it is possible to dial in a downward sloping response curve !!!! LOL, The Canadien Speaker Manufacturers discovered that speakers with downward sloping response curves were winning the blind shootouts!
I own Infinity IL 60 Speakers, quite possible the flattest measuring speakers ever made. Sometimes, that ruler flat response is very desirable, on better recordings. But sometimes I prefer a downward sloping response for less well recorded material. The Outlaw 976 with it's built in shelving equalizer lets you have both! Got a good recording ? Simply turn the equalizer off by remote control.
Just for shits and giggle, price a shelving equalizer ? They are very expensive!
One reason I can not see me going away from the Outlaw 976.

Mustang

I own and use an Outlaw 976 that I am very happy with. I agree that lack of Dolby Atmos killed it. The Parametric Equalizer is great. but unlike the parametric equalizer in my old Yamaha Receiver, you can not hear what it is doing as you change it! I especailly like the shelving equalizer! With the shelving equalizer, it is possible to dial in a downward sloping response curve !!!! LOL, The Canadien Speaker Manufacturers discovered that speakers with downward sloping response curves were winning the blind shootouts!
I own Infinity IL 60 Speakers, quite possible the flattest measuring speakers ever made. Sometimes, that ruler flat response is very desirable, on better recordings. But sometimes I prefer a downward sloping response for less well recorded material. The Outlaw 976 with it's built in shelving equalizer lets you have both! Got a good recording ? Simply turn the equalizer off by remote control.
Just for shits and giggle, price a shelving equalizer ? They are very expensive!
One reason I can not see me going away from the Outlaw 976.

I just picked up a 976 in a package with a 7000x AMP. I only have 1 setup that isn't ATMOS and it has an AVR running fine. Wanted to see what you had prior to the 976 and how the 976 compares? I'll get to testing mine out one of these days.

KA7NIQ

I just picked up a 976 in a package with a 7000x AMP. I only have 1 setup that isn't ATMOS and it has an AVR running fine. Wanted to see what you had prior to the 976 and how the 976 compares? I'll get to testing mine out one of these days.
I had a Yamaha Receiver with the Parametric Equalizer. I think the 976 sounds better

Mustang

I had a Yamaha Receiver with the Parametric Equalizer. I think the 976 sounds better

Thanks! Does anyone know how built the 976 for ATI? I have one now as I mentioned but need to take the time to switch out with the Denon and see how it sounds. I do have a 975 I got cheap that I actually use to drive an outdoor system and for music it sounds really good.

But I was curious who might have built these if anyone knows

Top Bottom