• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Outlaw 2220 vs Nord One SE MP NC252

Outlaw 2220 vs Nord One SE MP NC252

• Outlaw 2220

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Nord One SE MP NC252

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

-POD-

I'm looking to upgrade my current setup of an S.M.S.L Sanskrit II and Outlaw Audio rr2180 to a higher output setup. I'm planning on getting a S.M.S.L. SU-9n or Schiit Freya-S to use as a pre-amp and I was thinking of using either a pair of Outlaw 2220 amps or the Nord One SE NC252 for the power stage.

I have a pair of home built Anthology speakers (SEAS 22TFF tweeters, SB-ACOUSTIC SB15NRX2C30-8 mid-drivers, and Dayton Audio RS225-8 woofers). I use the system for everything from music, to movies, to streaming content. I use a HTPC of 90% for my content and a record player (Fluance RT-81) occasionally. I also have a miniDSP UMIK-1 USB microphone ordered that I'll use along with Equalizer APO for room calibration.

I'm wondering if moving to the Outlaw 2220 or Nord One SE MP NC252 is even worth it, and if so, which one I should get given the price points in Canadian dollars are similar.
IMG_1513ps2.jpg

Last edited:

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Outlaw 2220 will most likely go on sale at Xmas. The Nord is not like;y to go on sale then. Patience is a virtue.
BTW, the speakers look awesome.

OP
P

-POD-

The Outlaw 2220 will most likely go on sale at Xmas. The Nord is not like;y to go on sale then. Patience is a virtue.
BTW, the speakers look awesome.
Very good point. I'm in no rush, the rr2180 pushes the speakers fine and getting the 2220 on sale is a good idea. It lets me get the SU-9n now and wait for a sale on the power stage.

Last edited:

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Very good point. I'm in no rush, the rr2180 pushes the speakers fine and getting the 2220 on sale is a good idea. It lets me get the SU-9n now and wait on for a sale on the power stage.
Like I said, your speakers look awesome. Wish I had those skills!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How about skipping the preamp and getting an RME ADI-2 DAC for both DAC and preamp duties + room EQ? And a more powerful Hypex NCore NC502MP based power amp, from Buckeye for example?

VMAT4

Forum Donor
How about skipping the preamp and getting an RME ADI-2 DAC for both DAC and preamp duties + room EQ? And a more powerful Hypex NCore NC502MP based power amp, from Buckeye for example?
miniDSP Flex is even less expensive than the RME ADI-2. I don't know about the efficiency of of his speakers. Does he need all that power?

VMAT4

Forum Donor
About $810 for a miniDSP Flex balanced with cables and DIRAC + $750 for a Buckeye NC502MP amp. If you want to go that way.

OP
P

-POD-

As my speakers are homebuilt I don't have efficiency numbers (I will when my UMIK-1 arrives but that will be in room numbers).

Going off specs of the drivers and the enclosures I'm assuming around 90-91db? Single mid and woofer is ~86db and I'm running parallel on both those channels. They are certainly more sensitive than the ELAC Unify towers I replaced. The tweeter XO doesn't have an L-pad and is 91db sensitive so it leads me to believe I'm around 91db sensitivity. I have full build photos I can post if people are interested.

VMAT4

Forum Donor
As my speakers are homebuilt I don't have efficiency numbers (I will when my UMIK-1 arrives but that will be in room numbers).

Going off specs of the drivers and the enclosures I'm assuming around 90-91db? Single mid and woofer is ~86db and I'm running parallel on both those channels. They are certainly more sensitive than the ELAC Unify towers I replaced. The tweeter XO doesn't have an L-pad and is 91db sensitive so it leads me to believe I'm around 91db sensitivity. I have full build photos I can post if people are interested.
That's all over my head. Maybe Matias has some useful feedback on that info.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing technical, just big speakers using big power. :)

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I love my Outlaw 2200s. I have 5 powering the Front 3 and Surrounds. I am building 5 monoblock NC400 Amps with the SMPS600N400s to replace them.
No complaints about the Outlaws, just looking to build a fully Class D system. I do not expect audible differences. I do however look forward to more efficient power usage. ;)

mcdn

Forum Donor
They are 87dB sensitivity apparently: http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/Anthology_5.html. They do have very high maximum SPL of 110dB according to the designer.

110-87=23, 23/3=7.7. Call that 8 and you get 2^8=256 watts of power that the speakers can actually make use of. But in your room that would be dangerously loud. They can get to 107dB with the outlaw already!

Basically it’s unlikely a change of amp would be audible. Your investment in DSP will be much more audible. Consider getting a sub to help even out the bass - multi-sub with DSP is the best bang for buck in my opinion.

OP
P

-POD-

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the feedback! With the speakers being able to be driven to 107db with the rr2180 I'll start with some basic DSP through the home theater PC once the UMIK-1 arrives.

While the bass output on these speakers is quite good, I can always build a sub if needs be. There's always sales to be had on drivers and plate amps and plenty of decent box modeling software out there.

I've got lots of space behind to entertainment unit to start with a single sub setup at a low crossover point (~80hz) to make it "omnidirectional". Multi-sub would require rearranging the whole room and that probably would have a low wife appreciation factor.

kapardian

How do the Outlaw 2200 or 2220 sound for 2 channel stereo music?
I won the RR2160, same sound more power or different presentation?

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
How do the Outlaw 2200 or 2220 sound for 2 channel stereo music?
I won the RR2160, same sound more power or different presentation?
Outlaw's Amps are clean and deliver good power. No identifiable "sound" that I can attribute to the Amp, which is the way it should be.

Top Bottom