• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Outlaw 2220 Review (Monoblock Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 5.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 160 53.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 121 40.2%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 21219

Had 2 of the 2220’s. Replaced them with 2 Vidars. In my opinion the musicality of the Schitt Vidars is superior to 2220. No mechanical or heating issues with any of these amps.
HC-1’s may not be a fair comparison, but they also sound better than the 2220.
But hey the 2220 is way cheaper.

And what, pray tell, is "musicality"?

A competently designed amp, operating within its power envelope, has no "sound", good, bad, musicality or otherwise. Amps that have "sound" are either incompetently designed or deliberately designed to sound "different", a useful selling point for the snake oil industry.

However, it is very possible that listeners fall prey to cognitive biases, and many will swear that they hear so-and-so or such-and-such, until they use a rigorously controlled double-blind test. Then things change.

Here is a list of cognitive biases:

And here is a protocol for double-blind tests:

In fact, if you are interested, here is a list of pertinent videos made by Amir that explain a great deal of many different audio subjects:

If you have any questions, please ask. Members are always willing to help you.

Jim

Wooferhead

Had 2 of the 2220’s. Replaced them with 2 Vidars. In my opinion the musicality of the Schitt Vidars is superior to 2220. No mechanical or heating issues with any of these amps.
HC-1’s may not be a fair comparison, but they also sound better than the 2220.
But hey the 2220 is way cheaper.
Some claim that Vidar has noticeable transformer hums. Have you noticed any in your Vidar? Are yours the original Vidar or the improved Vidar 2?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some claim that Vidar has noticeable transformer hums. Have you noticed any in your Vidar? Are yours the original Vidar or the improved Vidar 2?

If a slight hum that can be heard from a couple feet bothers you, go with the Outlaw, my M2200 is near silent even with ears touching the box, the 2220 uses the same transformer.

Nyarlathotep

I have a pair of 2220s in my office. If it is totally quiet in the office, and I get my ear about 8 inches away from the top of the unit, specifically the left hand side perforations (power supply side), I can hear a very slight noise on my left channel block. If memory serves, it doesn't sound like AC hum from the transformer. I am not at the office, so I can't test right now, but maybe a bit of coil whine? I hadn't thought to put a mic to it for a frequency reading since it is so minimal. I only noticed the noise when I was unnaturally close to the unit, while reconnecting cables in the back. I probably would have never noticed otherwise. I have not noticed any noise from the right channel block at all.

JimWeir

I have a pair of 2220s in my office. If it is totally quiet in the office, and I get my ear about 8 inches away from the top of the unit, specifically the left hand side perforations (power supply side), I can hear a very slight noise on my left channel block. If memory serves, it doesn't sound like AC hum from the transformer. I am not at the office, so I can't test right now, but maybe a bit of coil whine? I hadn't thought to put a mic to it for a frequency reading since it is so minimal. I only noticed the noise when I was unnaturally close to the unit, while reconnecting cables in the back. I probably would have never noticed otherwise. I have not noticed any noise from the right channel block at all.
It’s probably 120Hz Triboelectric vibration.

Garrison

Long time reader, first time poster. I have learned a lot here, so a thanks is in order!

I am in the mental process of narrowing down some system upgrades for the house. I currently have three systems. One multi media room (which is pretty well set), my main 2 channel room (which is the main focus of the upgrade) and a 2.1 set up in the garage/Dad space (which will be upgraded via moving some of my current gear.)

The two channel space is home to my beloved Vandersteen 2Ce sig II's. I currently push them with an older Van Alstine control amp with every available power upgrade (90+ watts into 8 ohms of what seems to be pretty clean power). It is fed by a Topping E50, thanks to the reviews found here. The older Music Hall amp that was in my garage crapped the bed, and I would like to move the Control Amp to the garage due to not having a remote and do a modest upgrade to my 2 channel system.

Outlaw 2220's seem like they would do the job nicely and at reasonable price. But there is some internal debate keeping me from pulling the trigger.

Options:

Power
Pair of Outlaw 2220's, a Vidar 2, or possibly a Buckeye Purifi or Hypex offering.

Preamp
Topping Pre90 or a Schiit Kara (Headhones are not a deal breaker, I am wanting to hear my speakers at their affordable best)

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,
Garrison

Sorry if this was the wrong place to ask this.

Last edited:

Toroid

Long time reader, first time poster. I have learned a lot here, so a thanks is in order!

I am in the mental process of narrowing down some system upgrades for the house. I currently have three systems. One multi media room (which is pretty well set), my main 2 channel room (which is the main focus of the upgrade) and a 2.1 set up in the garage/Dad space (which will be upgraded via moving some of my current gear.)

The two channel space is home to my beloved Vandersteen 2Ce sig II's. I currently push them with an older Van Alstine control amp with every available power upgrade (90+ watts into 8 ohms of what seems to be pretty clean power). It is fed by a Topping E50, thanks to the reviews found here. The older Music Hall amp that was in my garage crapped the bed, and I would like to move the Control Amp to the garage due to not having a remote and do a modest upgrade to my 2 channel system.

Outlaw 2220's seem like they would do the job nicely and at reasonable price. But there is some internal debate keeping me from pulling the trigger.

Options:

Power
Pair of Outlaw 2220's, a Vidar 2, or possibly a Buckeye Purifi or Hypex offering.

Preamp
Topping Pre90 or a Schiit Kara (Headhones are not a deal breaker, I am wanting to hear my speakers at their affordable best)

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,
Garrison

Sorry if this was the wrong place to ask this.
2220's vs Vidar - I've been debating that, as well. If we are talking about Vidar 1, then I think Amir recommend the 2220s, however, I don't believe Amir reviewed the Vidar 2 yet, and that amp got a serious overhaul (people on the internet have noted it sounds much better, too). I think we need @amirm to give the Vidar 2 a review. Honestly, I think you can't go wrong either way, but if balanced connections are a deal breaker then get the 2220. I'm personally leaning toward Vidar 2 after all the research I've done.

Miser_Audioman

2220's vs Vidar - I've been debating that, as well. If we are talking about Vidar 1, then I think Amir recommend the 2220s, however, I don't believe Amir reviewed the Vidar 2 yet, and that amp got a serious overhaul (people on the internet have noted it sounds much better, too). I think we need @amirm to give the Vidar 2 a review. Honestly, I think you can't go wrong either way, but if balanced connections are a deal breaker then get the 2220. I'm personally leaning toward Vidar 2 after all the research I've done.
Was there an article or measurement that is swaying you to the vidar 2?

Garrison

Even though relatively inexpensive, I have a hard time justifying the purchase of 2 Vidar mono blocks compared to the 2220. The Vidar 2 would have to be a pretty large improvement, and much better at 4ohm loads in bridged mode.

Miser_Audioman

Even though relatively inexpensive, I have a hard time justifying the purchase of 2 Vidar mono blocks compared to the 2220. The Vidar 2 would have to be a pretty large improvement, and much better at 4ohm loads in bridged mode.
Yes and frankly the required balanced connections to monoblock the vidar or aegir complicate selection of pre amps and subwoofer management. All can be solved with money, but i prefer to use my avr as a preamp and bass manager for now.

Top Bottom