• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Outlaw 2200 M-Block Amplifier Review

John Galt

Forum Donor
I'm not positive, but I think the trigger output on the 2200 is just a pass-through. Here is what the manual says:
E Trigger Output Jack When more than one Model 2200 is used in an system, this jack may be used to pass the low voltage control signal through to the Trigger Input Jack of an additional Model 2200.

You are correct. I just updated my original post with a new reply that I just got from Outlaw support.

”There is a physical switch for XLR or RCA input, which the 2200 does not have. The trigger output on the 2220 is powered. Whereas, with the 2200, it is not powered. It is simply an in/out connection. This is capable of powering up to 3 amplifiers before the available current from the source device reaches max capability. With the 2220, the trigger out has a separate powered trigger-out circuit. So, a max current availability will not be reached. Thus, more amps can be triggered.”

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
(Updated) I asked Outlaw support what the differences were between the 2220 and 2200 and here’s the response I received:

”There is a physical switch for XLR or RCA input, which the 2200 does not have. The trigger output on the 2220 is powered. Whereas, with the 2200, it is not powered. It is simply an in/out connection. This is capable of powering up to 3 amplifiers before the available current from the source device reaches max capability. With the 2220, the trigger out has a separate powered trigger-out circuit. So, a max current availability will not be reached. Thus, more amps can be triggered.”

The new one is bigger and lighter, so that can’t be the only change. Maybe they went to SMPS?

John Galt

Forum Donor
The new one is bigger and lighter, so that can’t be the only change. Maybe they went to SMPS?

Does anyone know what ‘CMR’ means? From the 2220 product description:

“We've always designed our monoblock amplifiers with two things in mind: performance and flexibility. These single channel amplifiers may be small in height, but they pack a big punch! The Model 2220 is a 200-watt amplifier. You simply buy one for each speaker. Like our other 200 watt amplifiers, this amp will drive virtually any 4 ohm nominal load (or above) that you throw at it.

You want to know how a monoblock provides more flexibility than a multi-channel amplifier? Well, they run cooler and are the only amplifier we sell that you can stack! At just under 1.75RU, placement is as easy as it comes. Servicing, well that's easy too; send just the single monoblock to Outlaw and keep running all your other channels!

In terms of performance, this monoblock provides neutral, accurate playback. The advanced input stage provides CMR and is not just a balanced connector! Top that off with a large pancake style torroidal transformer and the Model 2220 delivers a cool yet potent performance. The Model 2220: small, sleek and powerful-need we say more?”

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Does anyone know what ‘CMR’ means? From the 2220 product description:

“We've always designed our monoblock amplifiers with two things in mind: performance and flexibility. These single channel amplifiers may be small in height, but they pack a big punch! The Model 2220 is a 200-watt amplifier. You simply buy one for each speaker. Like our other 200 watt amplifiers, this amp will drive virtually any 4 ohm nominal load (or above) that you throw at it.

You want to know how a monoblock provides more flexibility than a multi-channel amplifier? Well, they run cooler and are the only amplifier we sell that you can stack! At just under 1.75RU, placement is as easy as it comes. Servicing, well that's easy too; send just the single monoblock to Outlaw and keep running all your other channels!

In terms of performance, this monoblock provides neutral, accurate playback. The advanced input stage provides CMR and is not just a balanced connector! Top that off with a large pancake style torroidal transformer and the Model 2220 delivers a cool yet potent performance. The Model 2220: small, sleek and powerful-need we say more?”

Common-mode rejection, a measure of noise immunity.

John Galt

Forum Donor
Wanted to post all my internal photos of the ‘old’ 2200 for posterity.
6F8DC760-0D29-4839-996C-9C025E9C94E8.jpegF9E13B76-539D-4789-A7C3-D5F9AD5C3E4B.jpegA2992A3C-3098-4661-A1FC-88A4AB9AE596.jpeg9C53038A-23D9-45FD-8166-6FF5003C0538.jpegA9F2D9E5-07DE-4B5E-9FD2-239FAFAA104F.jpeg8EF3C80C-D403-47B5-BAF3-49E66C8E7076.jpegEF735C2B-A798-4D6F-BAD7-7625E9A046A4.jpeg3B945827-6826-41F9-AD9C-D14CB3F2E560.jpeg

Last edited:

thepiecesfit

What is the significance of the 1dB drop in frequency at 20khz is it even audible? I noticed the Outlaw 5000 review didn’t have the same issue.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What camera did you use for those pics? They are very good pics of the PCB features in detail. Have you tried using a circular polarizer for PCB close-ups? I think that filter would really add depth, dimension and shine to the product.

John Galt

Forum Donor
What camera did you use for those pics? They are very good pics of the PCB features in detail. Have you tried using a circular polarizer for PCB close-ups? I think that filter would really add depth, dimension and shine to the product.

I have a good DSLR setup with filters and tripods, but these photos were all taken by hand with an iPhone 11Pro.

I agree that a polarizer (and tripod) would have improved the shots, but I was happy with what I was able to get with some quick snaps.

Last edited:

shellback

Audio Company
Nice to see good measurements on these. I've been running 3 of the 2200's stacked for the past 6 months for my LCR, from a Denon X4200W.

Been very happy with their performance and they run very cool, even inside a built-in entertainment center.

maF74fD.jpg

I'd be curious how the new 2220 compares to the 2200. Although I really like the form factor for the reduced height on the 2200.

John Galt

Forum Donor
FWIW, Outlaw’s manual for the 2200 states that it consumes about 3 watts in standby mode and support just told me it consumes 9-10 watts when ON with no signal present.

My direct measurements are 6.5 watts in standby, and 16 watts when ON with no signal present.

Just thought I’d share this for those considering leaving them on all the time to reduce relay wear and tear (my relays trigger quite a few times daily since I listen most of the day with frequent pauses long enough to trigger the standby mode). I may consider a middle ground where I dig up my 12v signal cables and hook them back up to the receiver instead of using music detect mode. I really like music detect mode in theory, and I’d stick with it if I could change the trigger time from ~20 minutes to an hour or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: KEW

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I have a good DSLR setup with filters and tripods, but these photos were all taken by hand with an iPhone 11Pro.

I agree that a polarizer (and tripod) would have improved the shots, but I was happy with what I was able to get with some quick snaps.
We are well into the era of "computational photography". It's amazing just how good smartphone photos can be. I suppose we shouldn't be too surprised, given the parallels with human vision.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW, Outlaw’s manual for the 2200 states that it consumes about 6 watts in standby mode and support just told me it consumes 9-10 watts when ON with no signal present.
This is total power for a pair, right? The spec that I see says <3W in standby for one mono amp.

John Galt

Forum Donor
This is total power for a pair, right? The spec that I see says <3W in standby for one mono amp.

You are correct. I updated my post.

https://outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html

That said, my measurements show 6 watts on standby per 2200. Klein Tools CL700 multimeter and Klein Tools 69409 Line Splitter 10x. Maybe crude compared to what Outlaw has, but it’s been spot on for everything I’ve tested.

Last edited:

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That said, my measurements show 6 watts on standby per 2300.
That's a bit of a bummer. I bought a pair of these too. Oh well, I was planning to switch them off completely even with thinking 3W each in standby. But sometimes I forget or I fall asleep!

John Galt

Forum Donor
That's a bit of a bummer. I bought a pair of these too. Oh well, I was planning to switch them off completely even with thinking 3W each in standby. But sometimes I forget or I fall asleep!

I drove them as hard as I could tonight, and they never broke 60 watts each on my meter.

Last edited:

UCrazyKid

Great to see this review. I have had three of these for several years and really liked them. Great to see that they measure well too!

Reactions: KEW

Tucker26

I wonder: is claimed S/N 112 dB A-wtd better than 100 dB unwtd?
A-weighting is a simplified frequency weighting corresponding to the ear's sensitivity to pure tones referenced to 40 phons loudness at 1000 Hz by Fletcher-Munson in the 1930's. It also happens to correlate well with hearing damage at higher levels. Though originally formulated for pure tones rather than random noise more characteristic of noise in amplifiers and other electronics, it still is a much more meaningful measure of subjective noise at low levels than are unweighted measures. In general unweighted noise is of very little value in rating noise in electronics or even environmental and industrial acoustic noise, so A-weighting is in common use in standards-based legislation as well as in ratings of electronic noise by the electronics industry. There are better weightings that have been largely abandoned, at least in the US, for rating some kinds of noise, especially at high levels.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Weighting article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-weighting

I like to see unweighted mainly because A weighting reduces LF power line/supply noise and HF hiss that can be annoying (though the HF rolloff no longer matters to my old ears). SMPS (switch-mode power supplies) reduce the concern about LF spurs but 50/60 Hz leakage can still occur and will be rolled off by A weighting.

It is very difficult to compare noise among weightings without knowing the noise spectrum. A component with a big power supply spike may be much better with A weighting, and similarly a device with a lot of wideband noise may also measure better (higher SNR) with A weighting. I do not think a 10 dB delta is that unusual but is not something I have looked at recently.

Last edited:

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Weighting article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-weighting

I like to see unweighted mainly because A weighting reduces LF power line/supply noise and HF hiss that can be annoying (though the HF rolloff no longer matters to my old ears). SMPS (switch-mode power supplies) reduce the concern about LF spurs but 50/60 Hz leakage can still occur and will be rolled off by A weighting.
I'm 52 now and not looking forward to the inevitable and steady decline in hearing acuity. Aging sucks.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
A-weighting is a simplified frequency weighting corresponding to the ear's sensitivity to pure tones referenced to 40 phons loudness at 1000 Hz by Fletcher-Munson in the 1930's. It also happens to correlate well with hearing damage at higher levels. Though originally formulated for pure tones rather than random noise more characteristic of noise in amplifiers and other electronics, it still is a much more meaningful measure of subjective noise at low levels than are unweighted measures. In general unweighted noise is of very little value in rating noise in electronics or even environmental and industrial acoustic noise, so A-weighting is in common use in standards-based legislation as well as in ratings of electronic noise by the electronics industry. There are better weightings that have been largely abandoned, at least in the US, for rating some kinds of noise, especially at high levels.
Thanks. I know (roughly) what weighting is, but my question was really about whether it's possible to compare these 2 figures. There will be variations, of course, because of the different frequency distribution of noise, but would a difference of 12 dB be likely in this case?

Top Bottom