• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Outlaw 2200 M-Block Amplifier Review

John Galt

Forum Donor
Also gave it a new model number! It is now the 2220! Wonder if they changed anything significant!

I didn‘t even notice that. Lots of questions now.

I just opened a support ticket asking if there are any other changes besides the front panel.

Reactions: KEW

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They have a bundle price of two for $699. If the 2220 improves on the slightly elevated noise measurement @amirm got with the 2200, this would be one of the best values in audio.

John Galt

Forum Donor
Also gave it a new model number! It is now the 2220! Wonder if they changed anything significant!
I am glad to see they replaced the green print with white! This is much cleaner and more professional that the mint green color they used in teh past!

Looking more closely at the pics it looks like the top cover is different (vent pattern), speaker out jacks look different, and there’s a new ground connector to the right of the AC input. It’s also twice as tall as the 2200 (deal breaker for me in my setup) and lighter than the 2200.

The changes look significant, which is probably why I was able to pick up 3 in February for $799 delivered.

New manual is available here: http://outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/2220OM.pdf

F527D91E-C449-45AA-8974-9580F9A6C4DE.jpeg
E32D6D15-1AA1-44A5-A421-E6891A149AD1.jpeg
C0B2B2FA-8FF9-46EF-9B66-ACCA15AEA9D5.jpeg
859B4BF9-5E99-41DE-B8FC-05164706878F.jpeg

Last edited:

bigbag34

Forum Donor
Another change, and one subjectively, that I don’t like is the country of manufacture changed. The older models were made in Taiwan and these new ones are made in China.

I know that from reading posts by “Peng” on another forum that outlaw had a long time relationship with the Taiwanese manufacturer and the Taiwanese factory may very well have been the same factory that churned out Parasound gear.

In and of itself not a big deal but I notice quite a few small changes like the power switch, fuse, etc. Hopefully, the Chinese factory has the same great quality control that the Taiwanese factory had.

It would be cool to see how the new Chinese models test and see what the guts look like inside.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Looks like Outlaw just updated the front panel of the 2200. I’d love to buy the new front panel if they make it available separately and it’s plug and play.

(Update: @KEW noticed that it’s a whole new model number 2220 instead of 2200)
View attachment 63897
This doesn't seem to be the same dimensions. It looks slightly taller (or maybe narrower), assuming the photo is not distorted.

Edit: Jumped the gun there: it's 3" high, compared with 2" for the 2200.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am glad to see they replaced the green print with white! This is much cleaner and more professional that the mint green color they used in teh past!

Pretty sure not, specs look exactly the same. I wish they increase the storage capacitance, but then the cost would increase so I guess marketing won't allow..

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Another change, and one subjectively, that I don’t like is the country of manufacture changed. The older models were made in Taiwan and these new ones are made in China.

I know that from reading posts by “Peng” on another forum that outlaw had a long time relationship with the Taiwanese manufacturer and the Taiwanese factory may very well have been the same factory that churned out Parasound gear.

In and of itself not a big deal but I notice quite a few small changes like the power switch, fuse, etc. Hopefully, the Chinese factory has the same great quality control that the Taiwanese factory had.

It would be cool to see how the new Chinese models test and see what the guts look like inside.

It wasn't me, it was M Code, who is sort of an insider.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Currently out of stock.

KEW

Forum Donor
Pretty sure not, specs look exactly the same. I wish they increase the storage capacitance, but then the cost would increase so I guess marketing won't allow..
Obviously, I have no idea, but the major increase in the height suggests a potential change of significance. It may be they simply decided to stand up the capacitors or something, but given how long the 2200, and the m200 before it, were around, the slim height is kind of the "trademark" for this product.
Who knows? Maybe marketing got some input that people felt like it can't be very "gutsy" without more room for guts!:)

cjm2077

I wonder: is claimed S/N 112 dB A-wtd better than 100 dB unwtd?

A weighting basically applies a curve to the noise spectrum. It weights frequencies close to 1k the most, and high and low frequencies the least. So it would all depend on how the noise is distributed.

bogart

Forum Donor
Very sharp fascia and certainly a bit classier look. Looks to me like the left side LED has shifted downward too, or may just be an artifact of it getting taller.

the height increase would have taken it out of consideration for me too but it’s still a pretty compelling option.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Obviously, I have no idea, but the major increase in the height suggests a potential change of significance. It may be they simply decided to stand up the capacitors or something, but given how long the 2200, and the m200 before it, were around, the slim height is kind of the "trademark" for this product.
Who knows? Maybe marketing got some input that people felt like it can't be very "gutsy" without more room for guts!:)

They did provide the specs of the caps, same as before just more details instead just quoting the total uf.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oops. That post was not for this thread.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder: is claimed S/N 112 dB A-wtd better than 100 dB unwtd?

Hard to compare, but 112 A-wtd vs 100 unwtd I would take the 112, could be very close though if measure both the same way.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Hard to compare, but 112 A-wtd vs 100 unwtd I would take the 112, could be very close though if measure both the same way.
I ask because Amir measured THD at < -100 dB but SINAD at only 85, so an improvement in S/N would make a worthwhile difference.

John Galt

Forum Donor
(Updated) I asked Outlaw support what the differences were between the 2220 and 2200 and here’s the response I received:

”There is a physical switch for XLR or RCA input, which the 2200 does not have. The trigger output on the 2220 is powered. Whereas, with the 2200, it is not powered. It is simply an in/out connection. This is capable of powering up to 3 amplifiers before the available current from the source device reaches max capability. With the 2220, the trigger out has a separate powered trigger-out circuit. So, a max current availability will not be reached. Thus, more amps can be triggered.”

Last edited:

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I asked Outlaw support what the differences were between the 2220 and 2200 and here’s the response I received:

”The 2220 is a different amplifier from the 2200. For the user, the pertinent differences would be a switched input stage, between XLR and RCA, and a powered trigger output for daisy-chaining multiple amplifiers.”

That doesn‘t make sense to me since the 2200 has XLR/RCA inputs and a powered trigger output.

I'm not positive, but I think the trigger output on the 2200 is just a pass-through. Here is what the manual says:
E Trigger Output Jack When more than one Model 2200 is used in an system, this jack may be used to pass the low voltage control signal through to the Trigger Input Jack of an additional Model 2200.

Top Bottom