• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Outlaw 2200’s seem under driven by my denon.

amper42

Major Contributor
You know the Audyssey app allows you to decide which frequency range is selected by Audyssey? It's pretty easy to adjust the impacted frequency range in the app and upload the modified file to the receiver. You can even make a copy of the file before making the change.

OP
J

Jon.kin96

You know the Audyssey app allows you to decide which frequency range is selected by Audyssey? It's pretty easy to adjust the impacted frequency range in the app and upload the modified file to the receiver. You can even make a copy of the file before making the change.

the issue with that is that AVR-x3400h was impacted by the network issues that came with a firmware update June of last year. I spent an hour on the phone with someone at denon to try to get the firmware reverted, or an update file to use with a flash drive, but they won’t give it to me. Long story short, I can’t use the app....

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the issue with that is that AVR-x3400h was impacted by the network issues that came with a firmware update June of last year. I spent an hour on the phone with someone at denon to try to get the firmware reverted, or an update file to use with a flash drive, but they won’t give it to me. Long story short, I can’t use the app....

That sucks. Also why I turn off firmware updates unless I know I'm gonna benefit, and I prefer doing it by usb. Read of far too many problems with firmware updates via wifi....

OP
J

Jon.kin96

That sucks. Also why I turn off firmware updates unless I know I'm gonna benefit, and I prefer doing it by usb. Read of far too many problems with firmware updates via wifi....

according the denon support, it’s not able to be done by usb and they can’t send me the update file. . I bought this AVR used cheap as dirt because it had this issue, but I thought it would be a much easier fix...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
according the denon support, it’s not able to be done by usb and they can’t send me the update file. . I bought this AVR used cheap as dirt because it had this issue, but I thought it would be a much easier fix...

I'd think if they put their minds to it it could be arranged.....but customer service at a place like Denon is only so useful and knowledgeable. Maybe if you can get actual techs involved, but they may also just have a policy....(and I've found them to be a bit frustrating and useless when I was looking for a particularly promised update).

OP
J

Jon.kin96

I'd think if they put their minds to it it could be arranged.....but customer service at a place like Denon is only so useful and knowledgeable. Maybe if you can get actual techs involved, but they may also just have a policy....(and I've found them to be a bit frustrating and useless when I was looking for a particularly promised update).

yeah. It was “escalated” and I got a somewhat abrasive email basically saying that I need to just send it in for service. . I did find out that I can copy the audyssey EQ settings into the built in GEQ on the AVR and tweak it from there. I’ll have to do some more sweeps on REW to get it dialed in just right....then I’ll have to do it all over again if I can ever find an amp for my center and maybe surrounds as well.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
yeah. It was “escalated” and I got a somewhat abrasive email basically saying that I need to just send it in for service. . I did find out that I can copy the audyssey EQ settings into the built in GEQ on the AVR and tweak it from there. I’ll have to do some more sweeps on REW to get it dialed in just right....then I’ll have to do it all over again if I can ever find an amp for my center and maybe surrounds as well.

I've played with transferring settings to the GEQ and never found it preferable to simply using Audyssey settings. I don't even have a new enough Denon for the app....and sending something into Denon's US factory service right now could be an issue as I think they've been behind the eightball so to speak all during covid.

OP
J

Jon.kin96

I've played with transferring settings to the GEQ and never found it preferable to simply using Audyssey settings. I don't even have a new enough Denon for the app....and sending something into Denon's US factory service right now could be an issue as I think they've been behind the eightball so to speak all during covid.

oh no. I adamantly explained to them that I would not be paying to ship my unit out to get a repair that it doesn’t need: to solve an issue that they caused with faulty firmware.
I’m just incredibly sensitive to high frequencies(and beginning to think partially deaf in my left ear...) so I always cut everything above about 1500hz

UCrazyKid

This sucks, Jon. Maybe it is time to buy an Anthem and call it a day.

OP
J

Jon.kin96

This sucks, Jon. Maybe it is time to buy and Anthem and call it a day.

i do eventually want to upgrade to a 7.2.4 system....but probably not until I get into a new house with the ability to have a truly dedicated room.

Gyroscopics

The gain of the Outlaw is 27dB. The gain inside the AVR would be 29dB as is normal I think for AVRs. Perhaps the RCA input is just one leg of the balanced input and the overall balanced gain is 27dB and RCA 6 dB less. You would then have 8dB less gain than the AVR amp.

This is the most logical response but did not get OP's attention. To your point I only use THX certified external amps with my Denon to match the AVR's gain and to fully utilize the amp's power given the limited pre-out voltage from AVRs.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is the most logical response but did not get OP's attention. To your point I only use THX certified external amps with my Denon to match the AVR's gain and to fully utilize the amp's power given the limited pre-out voltage from AVRs.

Why would the avr be limited with an 850mV sensitivity in the amp, tho? What avr can't muster that on the pre-outs? If it's accurate...and even if not the Denon can output more voltage, but perhaps not as cleanly in measurement.

OP
J

Jon.kin96

so actually after re calibrating the system, I ended with +4.5 on the left and +4 on the right which I’m much more comfortable with

Top Bottom