• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Outdoor Weather Proof Speaker Cables

kevin1969

Any suggestions? I want to get something that won't sound bad if it rains (jk).

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could also run cables through conduit. They have flexible conduit of various diameters, which are are pretty easy to feed cables through as well.

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Conduit is more resistant to the sharp teeth of critters.

And stones! My folks used to have a brown out situ periodically because the company did not use conduit when they buried their power line. Every once in a while a stone would penetrate the insulation and make the wire oxidize to where some of the house got full voltage and some did not. It has since been redone correctly.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Any suggestions? I want to get something that won't sound bad if it rains (jk).

IMHO, its better to run galvanised steel pipes and put cables in them. I don't recommend running bare cables outdoor.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used Monoprice direct burial 14/4 on our old deck. It has only been up since 2017 but seemed fine as of last week.

Mudjock

Audio Company
Here is one of my outdoor speaker cables. I also used Monoprice direct burial cable. I used cable "pants" sourced from Amazon along with heat shrink to ensure the end terminations were water tight.

1629033984536.png

I buried 1 1/2" PVC conduit and pulled standard audio cabling through it. One huge benefit with conduit is the ability to re-pull lines if anything ever goes wrong or if upgrades are required (as long as you leave a string in it).

Terminate the conduit into one of these with a flip-down weatherproof cover installed beside the speaker location (you could T your conduit to run lines to multiple speakers in different locations). Finally, install a pair of banana plug jacks and use short links to connect your speakers (you'll likely need to hunt around for a keystone plate that fits the box/cover). As these links would be short and accessible, use whatever cable you have available as you can easily replace them if they become damaged.

I use this method to provide line-level audio, CAT-3, Ethernet, and coax to outdoor locations, and everything has been operating flawlessly for over a decade (and counting).

Top Bottom