• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Outdoor active speaker recomendations?

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
Now that the weather here in Ontario has finally turned the corner, I am looking for suggestions for a pair of outdoor speakers for my patio. The patio is approximately 30' x 20', and doesn't have to get to ridiculous volumes.

I intend to mount the speakers either in a gazebo, or under an overhang. So, they would be somewhat protected, but not completely safe from the elements. I would very much prefer active speakers for this application.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

GeorgeBynum

Remember that for actives you will need a power outlet as well as signal for each unit. I'm not up on the power grid in Ontario, but think that is a 120V receptacle; it would be in the USA, and here it would require GFCI protection, no great nor expensive problem

OP
Certainkindoffool

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
Yes, it is 120V here as well.

The reasoning for active speakers is that I already have power run to where the speakers would be placed. Running speaker wire would require that I run conduit under my patio, which I didn't have the foresight to do when I built it.

Webninja

Forum Donor
So, Bluetooth? Or how would you stream to them? Maybe fit a waterproof RPi and use Roon?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Yes, it is 120V here as well.

The reasoning for active speakers is that I already have power run to where the speakers would be placed. Running speaker wire would require that I run conduit under my patio, which I didn't have the foresight to do when I built it.

I was looking for powered outdoor speakers as well, but didn't find any I thought were worth going for over my couple of sets of Paradigm Stylus outdoor speakers, and just used an old receiver with a CCA and ran speaker wire. Often the powered ones have to be connected to each other, which also didn't work for my use.

Anything look interesting so far?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now that the weather here in Ontario has finally turned the corner, I am looking for suggestions for a pair of outdoor speakers for my patio. The patio is approximately 30' x 20', and doesn't have to get to ridiculous volumes.

I intend to mount the speakers either in a gazebo, or under an overhang. So, they would be somewhat protected, but not completely safe from the elements. I would very much prefer active speakers for this application.

Any ideas?

I would look at JBL's Control series and Rebel's Extreme series.

JBL provides some basic measurements. IIRC it's the Control 29AV-1 that stood out.

OP
Certainkindoffool

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
I Bluetooth to a JBL boombox, it's fantastic imo.

Tough , water resistant and kicks out da beats . Also the mark 1 is on offer right now.

I've tried using a worksite radio and an echo studio, but they just don't do it for me. I expect the JBL would far out perform both of those.

However, part of the desire for mounting things permanently is so that I don't have to set/clean things up for my wife every time. She's pregnant and I find myself doing a lot of that these days. It is sometimes a struggle to do so gracefully right now as managing a business through covid-19 has not been easy.

OP
Certainkindoffool

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
I would look at JBL's Control series and Rebel's Extreme series.

JBL provides some basic measurements. IIRC it's the Control 29AV-1 that stood out.

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't realize they measured so well. I had noticed in the past that there is an installer in my area who frequently posts JBL control series products on the used market. Likely a good deal to be had if I keep an eye out.

Top Bottom