• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Out for a few more days

D!sco

So sorry to hear about your wife and home. With the world the way it is, I had feared the worst. Glad it's not quite so bad. Take all the time in the world, there's still plenty to talk about here.

Kegemusha

Like the Templars would say, after darkness you will find the light.

I had my issues with builders as well, the roof, the whole roof.
But at the end and after miserable weeks all was fixed, but the stress is terrible.

I hope you will manage to fix this soon.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish we were all closer to help with the manual labor and flood! Hoping the trouble is over soon.

Kevbaz

Take care Amir, family and health are important
Kev

HT51

Amir - I am literally a new member - within the last few minutes. And a relative newcomer to audio equipment interested in learning more.
But for now, sorry to learn of your flooding issues. It won't help now, but perhaps in the future: Koshin sump pump model PX65011. Described as
able to pump down to 1mm. Seen it as 115V, which may or may not suit your location. Another pump is Tsurumi model LSR2.4S. You may have
encountered this one, although spec'd for depth down to 1/4". Made in 115 and 230V versions.
I own other models of Koshin and Tsurumi pumps for deep basement sump pit. Excellent and reliable performers in high head applications.

wannarock2

I’m sad to hear this news Amir. I hope and trust your wife is continuing to mend.
I share your pain as this same thing happened to me a number of years ago. I live in Northern California on a hillside below the entrance road to my residence. That winter was very wet with an atmospheric river (aka pineapple express) that hovered over the area for about 4 days. We ultimately found that the utility trench (power, cable, gas trench) from the road above my home acted as a channel into my home and ultimately to my below grade game room. Two inches of water filled the area. That following spring I had a 1 meter wide x 1½ meter deep French drain dug perpendicular to the utility trench surrounding the top area of my home. It works and was tested again this winter as we both can attest this winter has been very wet.
I wish you the of best of luck on diverting the water infiltrating your property.

Godataloss

It is the same here and we will be disclosing it together with the fix (did that with the last house we sold). The issue here is one weak point by the corner of the building foundation. All the rest is incredibly heavy clay that acts as a water block. But in that one corner, it was filled with sand so passed the moisture through the foundation given the record breaking rain and moisture this year. The corner by the way was our dedicated home theater!

So far, no indication of mold or mildew. Day one I bought a bunch of blowers and have as I mentioned around the clock, drying the place with every means possible. Unlike a regular flood, this was all a quarter of an inch or less. Half the area is tile so didn't care. The carpet through soaked it up but I have been working on drying it each time after the leak which has been the source of exhaustion. Dehumidifier is running around the clock as well.

I also bought an ozone generator to kill bad stuff in combination with the blower.

Ultimately if we have to rip out the carpet and drywall, that is what we have to do but right now, I am hopeful we don't have to.

On litigation, there is blame to be had by folks who did the original drainage but I don't know that I want to pursue it. One option that I am thinking about is the county. There is a road that leads to our driveway and with rain, it becomes a river, dumping all the water into our yard. It does not have drainage ditch. I complained to the county two years ago but they just dismissed it. The original owners of the land donated this part of the property to the county so that they would maintain it. But naturally they have not.
A good way to deal with that might be an outside sump pump crock at that point of failure. I dug one for my parent's years ago. Having the sump crock outside your house has several benefits- not having to cut into your basement floor and thereby creating an avenue for the water to come inside are two primary ones. As long as you are below the frost line, you do not have to worry about freezing. It has performed flawlessly for them for 20 years. Don't forget to reseal the basement wall when you dig it out.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm; I have a revelation that may will help your wife:
My CV includes, skiing, car, motorcycle accidents of horrific levels and if I was a cat, I'd qualify to be in my 5th lifetime. 'nuff said!

Continual Fidgeting and Isometrics.
Only because pain is NOT the biggest enemy but muscle atrophy is!

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
I have struggled with this several times. It's really a nightmare becaue water is uncontrollable and causes immense damage. In our case we made a hole in the basement ans used a sump but it turned out to be a blocked driange ditch. It was still devastating. I am sorry Amir. I will send you a few bucks via PayPal. Prayers for your wife.

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
I once started to do the dishes in my small early century (1900) cottage, opening the sink faucet. I then remembered that I had left a few plates in the shed outside where my work computer resides. 5 hours of 'Neverwinter Nights' later, I returned to find the whole place was 15 cm under water. It took a few weeks of dehumidifiers and reconstructive work in the kitchen to rectify things.

My wife still hasn't forgiven me.

Best wishes.

FB

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We had just ripped out all the carpeting and replaced with 'real' wood floors, downstairs.
Next, she wanted a new kitchen. I replied (meh) "Damn cabinets still work fine, just leave good enough alone!"
But nooooooooooooooooooooo!
The $14k kitchen redo, turned into a nightmare from day one!
On the last day of the 2-week guaranteed job, the goons were drilling the very last (largest) cabinet to the wall, I heard my name being called downstairs. My "What, now?" was answered (in spanglish) with "water leak!"
If the very LAST screw was off by a quarter inch, we would not have had to live in a totally disruptive house for the next 16months.
We had 8 different plumbers go thru the house and destroy walls just to get at the main manifold that was drilled thru by "accident"!
Some of these 'experts' wanted to redo the whole-house repipe, etc. etc.
The wood floors had to be torn out and replaced TWICE MORE.

Moral(s) of the story?
Do the kitchen before the floors.
Always have an emergency sump-pump handy (I now do)... and...
Even if it seems disrespectful, always doubt a plumber, no matter how 'professional' they appear!
EDIT: Wait an extra long time before replacing wood floors... else, sit and watch the wood warp, in front of your eyes.

Last edited:

Another_Moon

Good luck, Amir, I wish you to quickly cope with ailments. God bless you.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
my eighteenth open back headphone decision
So, whatcha looking at? Lol. Just kidding.

Sorry to hear this @amirm. I've had this happen a few times with 2 different houses.
First house it was a reoccurring problem with roots making their way into the joints of the dated iron plumbing to the sewer causing the lines to plug, and more recently, I had my sump pump go out on my grey water tank. Luckily, I was able to take care of the recent grey water tank issue pretty quickly before any real damage happened. It only required a new sump pump. I also bought a spare to keep just in case. This is never a fun thing to deal with if you don't have a shop-vac with a water pump or a little self priming pump.

I'm sure this will end up costing a ton and will be one of those "excavate the perimeter of the house" type jobs, then they may recommend installing basement drain tile and sump pits. My wife's house needed similar, but it was only basement modifications with the foundation. If I recall correctly, it was called a drain tile.

Well, I hope your wife recovers quick, and they figure out a cost-effective solution.

Oh, I'm sure you're already on top of this, but I'd run a few dehumidifiers 24/7 for a few weeks.

antdroid

Reviewer
Hope you two are doing well @amirm ! The recent snow and rain here in the NW has made it quite scary around my house too. We live next to a creek that overflows when it rains, but due to the heavy snow/rain lately, its getting very very close to my house, and ruined my backyard. Anyway, I hope things get better for you guys!

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the water objectively problematic or merely subjectively problematic?

Have you tried noticing it blindfolded?

Can your wife tell your basement is flooded from the kitchen or is the difference too subtle?

What is the human threshold for water level anyway?

Please don't stress over ASR, I think we are all deeply sympathetic to this disaster.

Antonivich

Hello you all. You probably noticed I have been away from the forum a few days. Last Thursday the finished lower floor of our house which is below grade developed a leak. This quickly became a massive flood, overwhelming our efforts to keep it at bay. To make matters worse, near midnight, my wife slipped on the wet stairs and badly injured her back side and elbow. So we spent the next day at the hospital and thankfully, nothing was broken but she has been in serious pain (but getting better). We had two days of dry weather which gave us a chance to repack things of value but then the rain came and multiple flooding with it. We would spend 12 to 16 hours pumping and drying out the floor, only to get fully overwhelmed in a matter of hours.

I have bought every pump and gadget you can think of but none of them are effective with shallow flooding of quarter of an inch of water (seeping through the walls). Actually it has been so bad that in the time it takes me to go to the hardware store to buy the next thing, the house been flooding completely again! No restoration company would come to dry the house because the leak is still there. So stuck doing it all ourselves.

My builder called a crew with excavators and such over the weekend and they showed up Monday, only to make it worse and leave. :( So last two days has been more rounds of hell. I was drying and pumping the house for nearly 20 hours straight last nigh as the non-stop rain caused it to flood again and again! A more competent crew is here and is building a much more extensive water management system. Hopefully they get it done and it works.

Getting help of course in this environment is next to impossible. Had a great handyman I had used on other projects but he wouldn't come over to help either.

Anyway, starting tomorrow it is supposed to dry out for a few days so maybe this insanity will be over by the weekend.

I have only been able to drop in the forum for a minute or two per day. Just so much to do.
I am very sorry about the domestic breakdown and I hope that it will pass quickly and return to health. Water problems are really hateful and, if there are slips, they hurt even more. Cheer up, after the fucking storm comes the calm.

I follow with great devotion his analyses and reviews (when the Shanling UP5?).

A greeting from the Mediterranean, Spain (Castelló de la Plana).

Lamento mucho la desgràcia doméstica y espero que pase rápidamente y recuperen la salud. Los problemas por agua son realmente odiosos y, si hay resbalones, duelen aún más. Ánimo, que después de la jodida tormenta viene la calma.
Sigo con gran devoción sus análisis y revisiones (¿para cuándo el Shanling UP5?).
Un saludo desde el Mediterráneo, España (Castelló de la Plana).

H

Hifihedgehog

As I see it, this is a hobby and you are giving us something for free. You owe us nothing and did this out of the kindness of your heart. Please take all the time you need and I wish you a happy return when things get settled and sorted.

Top Bottom