• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Out for a few more days

BillH

Forum Donor
I was hoping you were on a well deserved vacation.
I was afraid you were a victim of COVID and ASR would end.
I'm sorry to hear about your flooding - you deserve a vacation.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Damn sad! I keep my fingers crossed that recovery will be good and happen quickly. Hold on. It will work out! The most important thing is of course that your wife did not get hurt worse, even if what you describe is sad. I try to highlight the positive in the shit, so to speak.

Drengur

Forum Donor
I am very sorry to hear. I hope you will get your place up and running quickly and are able to keep yourself and your family safe.

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am a Quack... if you run in to issues with medical advice, PM me.

In the meantime, I have made a contribution to assist in your wife's recovery and flood rehab.

TILLMAN EDDY

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Horrible. I actually have recurring nightmares about our house developing leaks and falling apart. I'd hate to actually be dealing with that.

Crossing all fingers and toes that it'll be sorted out sooner rather than later.

And wishing get well soon to Mrs Amir.

Last edited:

mugbot

Forum Donor
Sorry to hear that Amir, hoping your wife recovers quickly and your water issues can be resolved. We'll be fine just bickering amongst ourselves while you're away - don't worry. :p

SaltyCDogg

That's awful! Hope things improve soon. Your poor wife!

I'm sure I speak for some of the other strange people who spend too much time on here, we feel better knowing what's going on, so thanks for the update.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Sending positive thoughts. Not what you want to hear but a family friend who had such issues chronically converted his finished lower level to unfinished, and raised the utilities off the ground by a few feet. He lost living space but he gained peace of mind.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
@amirm, I hope your wife recovers fast and your water issue get fixed fast.

When I first moved to my home, there would be standing water in my crawl space after each heavy rain. It took the developer multiple trips to fix the drainage issue. I really hope you can get this fixed much faster than I.

cantbewong

Forum Donor
Regarding trying pumps and gadgets for your flooding. I had some success with using a larger shop vac to first remove water in bulk and after that, leaving a boat bilge pump to try to keep up with new water.
These bilge pumps expect 12 volt power and you also need a hose and hose clamp to run a line to a drain . Shop vac I used was 10 gallon and I think any larger might be too heavy to haul out to drain. Bilge pump was an Attwood but did not compare brands so others might be just as good or better.

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Good luck with fixing everything, and hope nothing of sentimental value has been lost.

We spent our first Christmas Day with me attacking a cracked wall in our basement with an angle grinder and SDS drill so I could inject the crack with an epoxy mix. That was 15 years ago and it's been fine since.

I must admit though that it's a relief to hear from you - I was worried about Omicron getting you.

Stay safe, we can wait.

Ingenieur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello you all. You probably noticed I have been away from the forum a few days. Last Thursday the finished lower floor of our house which is below grade developed a leak. This quickly became a massive flood, overwhelming our efforts to keep it at bay. To make matters worse, near midnight, my wife slipped on the wet stairs and badly injured her back side and elbow. So we spent the next day at the hospital and thankfully, nothing was broken but she has been in serious pain (but getting better). We had two days of dry weather which gave us a chance to repack things of value but then the rain came and multiple flooding with it. We would spend 12 to 16 hours pumping and drying out the floor, only to get fully overwhelmed in a matter of hours.

I have bought every pump and gadget you can think of but none of them are effective with shallow flooding of quarter of an inch of water (seeping through the walls). Actually it has been so bad that in the time it takes me to go to the hardware store to buy the next thing, the house been flooding completely again! No restoration company would come to dry the house because the leak is still there. So stuck doing it all ourselves.

My builder called a crew with excavators and such over the weekend and they showed up Monday, only to make it worse and leave. :( So last two days has been more rounds of hell. I was drying and pumping the house for nearly 20 hours straight last nigh as the non-stop rain caused it to flood again and again! A more competent crew is here and is building a much more extensive water management system. Hopefully they get it done and it works.

Getting help of course in this environment is next to impossible. Had a great handyman I had used on other projects but he wouldn't come over to help either.

Anyway, starting tomorrow it is supposed to dry out for a few days so maybe this insanity will be over by the weekend.

I have only been able to drop in the forum for a minute or two per day. Just so much to do.
Best wishes for your wife.
The rest can be fixed.

Have you thought about putting in a skim coat of concrete and sloping it towards a sump?

So it's coming thru the wall against soil?
You need a civil engineer with storm water and foundation experience to look at it.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh shit. :(. I wish your wife a fast recovery and warm dry weather for the house.

We had flooding of our cellar last year with about 4 to 6 inches of water (around the time where the big flood destroyed several villages in the Ahr valley, killing more than 100 people). Level was down to 2 inches when I noticed it. Bought a water pump and got most of it out in a few hours - drying took days without any additional tools. Lost only original packages of equipment - phew. Bad enough but I don't want to imagine what you're going through right now. Wishing you all the best!

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to hear this especially the part about your wife. I hope she recovers soon.

I don't know your situation but when I had the same kind of leak problem. Two things temporarily helped: 1) plastic sheeting on the ground on the outside adjacent to the offending wall during a rainstorm propped up next to wall and 2) if there is apart of your property below the leak dig a hole there and put in a immersion pump and pump from there to bing the water table down pumping 24/7. Good Luck

Top Bottom